[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]

I'm not sure if this is particular this version or not... but I just noticed that Cakewalk is only computing waveforms for one clip at a time. It used to be that, if you had the multiprocessing engine enabled, it would compute waveforms for as many clips at once as you had cores. No longer seeing this... so waveform drawing takes a lot longer than it used to.

I'm not sure this is a bug or a glitch of some kind, but I just experienced this...

In PRV with the Track View open and a few tracks being displayed.

If I solo a midi track it correctly solos the midi track and the audio track containing the synth being used.

But the solo button in the Track View of the PRV only shows the MIDI track in solo until I allow the mouse to passover the audio track's solo button which then correctly displays the solo status.

In the Regular Track View, All is well... It's only in the PRV display's Track View

30 minutes ago, Keni said:

the solo button in the Track View of the PRV only shows the MIDI track in solo until I allow the mouse to passover the audio track's solo button which then correctly displays the solo status.

I confirm - that everything is exactly the same for me, and this has been happening for at least 3-4 years, and maybe more, I just didn’t pay attention to it before. I think that this is a minor bug that simply no one pays much attention to and does not point it out to the developers.

44 minutes ago, IgoRr said:

I confirm - that everything is exactly the same for me, and this has been happening for at least 3-4 years, and maybe more, I just didn’t pay attention to it before. I think that this is a minor bug that simply no one pays much attention to and does not point it out to the developers.

Interesting...

Thanks for the confirmation, but this is the first time this has happened here. Previously, the buttons behaved as they're expected...

2 hours ago, Keni said:

I'm not sure this is a bug or a glitch of some kind, but I just experienced this...

In PRV with the Track View open and a few tracks being displayed.

If I solo a midi track it correctly solos the midi track and the audio track containing the synth being used.

But the solo button in the Track View of the PRV only shows the MIDI track in solo until I allow the mouse to passover the audio track's solo button which then correctly displays the solo status.

In the Regular Track View, All is well... It's only in the PRV display's Track View

Do you have a personal theme? 

On 9/10/2023 at 1:00 AM, arvmetal said:

Pretty crappy update, is unusable, as I open any plugin starts to flickering and slows down my PC. Does anyone know how can I revert to the old version without uninstalling?.

Well, dont expect any update and bug fixes for this version. It is sadly in the process to collect its 401k. An early retirement. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Will. said:

Well, dont expect any update and bug fixes for this version. It is sadly in the process to collect its 401k. An early retirement. 

I have been reading other posts that address the topic in the new version.
My opinions about prices and product defects were classified by some, including the software's Chief Engineer himself, as MEHHHHH (bad).
However, when I read that bugs will not be fixed in this latest version before it is priced on the market, I question, it is not a criticism of what you said, but then what would be the point of bringing an EA for the community to test if not to verify it? developers to fix bugs?

It's just an opinion on the topic and to be supportive at this very confusing time about the future of the tool.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:00 PM, arvmetal said:

Pretty crappy update, is unusable, as I open any plugin starts to flickering and slows down my PC. Does anyone know how can I revert to the old version without uninstalling?.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

As far as I know, this is the link where you can download the previous version of this EA.

I did the same and the installation didn't change my settings at all, but that was my experience.

Good luck !

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

, but then what would be the point of bringing an EA for the community to test if not to verify it? developers to fix bugs?

The reason was to fix previous issues/bugs users had in the DAW. This was also to help and give users some time to transition over to the new affordable paid version of Sonar. This new EA are not running on the old servers as what the others have - hence the long wait for this years release. 

Edited by Will.
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:27 PM, sreams said:

I'm not sure if this is particular this version or not... but I just noticed that Cakewalk is only computing waveforms for one clip at a time. It used to be that, if you had the multiprocessing engine enabled, it would compute waveforms for as many clips at once as you had cores. No longer seeing this... so waveform drawing takes a lot longer than it used to.

@sreams no changes in this area and it's working fine here. There are two things to check.

1. Only waveforms for unique clip wave files are rendered in parallel. i.e. if you have 100 clips that all come from the same wave file then they will only display when the full wave file has been rendered. IOW parallel rendering is per file not per clip.

2. Parallel rendering is controlled by the aud.ini variable "EnablePicCacheThreads" not the multiprocessing setting. Check if somehow that variable got set to 0.

Try importing a bunch of wave files into a new project and then select all and choose "recompute waveforms" from the clip properties. They should render in parallel.

7 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I have been reading other posts that address the topic in the new version.
My opinions about prices and product defects were classified by some, including the software's Chief Engineer himself, as MEHHHHH (bad).
However, when I read that bugs will not be fixed in this latest version before it is priced on the market, I question, it is not a criticism of what you said, but then what would be the point of bringing an EA for the community to test if not to verify it? developers to fix bugs?

It's just an opinion on the topic and to be supportive at this very confusing time about the future of the tool.

I'm totally confused by this post.

The first page of this topic already says there are over 60 bugs fixed in this version.  The point of the EA release is to allow a wider user base to verify we've not indavertently broken anything in fixing these bugs.  Some such reports have already come in and have been fixed for the main release.

There may be bugs that already existed in the 2022.11 release that have not been addressed in this release.  This is unfortunate, but we have finite resources and have to draw a line somewhere and release something.  It's been 10 months since the last release, and I think the community has waited long enough.

This is the Early Access of Cakewalk by BandLab - it's is not going to be priced on the market.   Once we're happy no further new regressions are present, we'll either release it as a release candidate prior to a final release, or go straight to final release.  Once again, this is a release of Cakewalk by BandLab (i.e. the free product).

Work is still ongoing on the new Sonar.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:
4 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

because buss 2 has those in its FX?

The images are the send listings that are enabled when I click on + to make a send.

Yes, that was understood. What Glenn is suggesting (and what I would also guess) is that the send targets missing from the Bus 2 list are unavailable because the routing of the project is such that a feedback loop would be created.

• Morten Saether changed the title to Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]
  • Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]