Alright Already, when Is Sonar being released!!

jesse g

1 hour ago, pulsewalk said:

Now there's an entire line of DAWs of which many competes in the TOP, like Logic (of course) Cubase, Ableton Live, FL Studio, Studio One, Reaper, and so forth.

I don't think that Cubase, Fl Studio ,Studio One and  Reaper are in the top line of DAWs,

but Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo Ableton do because many professionals use this DAWs

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I'm a neophyte when it comes to EDM, please explain what are the things that make a  DAW more EDM friendly.

I don't make EDM, but I thought it made extensive use of samples.  If so, I'd think EDM producers would like to have a built-in, fully-integrated sampler complete with all sorts of sample manipulation tools including a variety of looping functions.

From hip-hop to EDM, many of the world's most famous music producers have been using loops and samples to create their tracks for decades. 

EDM uses samples of many sounds from drums to vocals to everyday sounds. 

1 hour ago, Pragi said:

Here we go :

Ableton.

image.png.b646e4cbf890d7b5dc0de833907b7ebe.png

Thank you for the smallest picture of the internet but from what I can tell overall that looks, in it's own way, similar to CbB TV in reverse order from left to right. Am I wrong?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bapu said:

Thank you for the smallest picture of the internet but from what I can tell overall that looks, in it's own way, similar to CbB TV in reverse order from left to right. Am I wrong?  

No, the picture is from the "beginners guide for Ableton:

https://integraudio.com/ableton-10-live-for-beginners/

And no, no A minor bass  scale in it.

Edited by Pragi

On 9/2/2023 at 12:06 AM, Canopus said:

Maybe the Cakewalk bashing should be turned down a bit?

Were you referring to something someone said in this topic?

I don't see any bashing going on.

If you're referring to my opinion that Cakewalk Sonar is going to be, feature-wise, in the under $99 leagues, I don't think that's "bashing" at all. I certainly didn't mean it as such.

3 hours ago, Bapu said:

I'm a neophyte when it comes to EDM, please explain what are the things that make a  DAW more EDM friendly.

As a producer of electronic music, I'd like to have an integrated sampler instrument. I'd also like for the process of setting the program up for drum synth programming to be smoother. I've ranted about it multiple times in the past: the process of setting up the Piano Roll View to display drum instrument names is needlessly obscure and clumsy.

An Ableton-style clip launcher for that style of performance/composing is necessary. Matrix View exists, but development seems to have stopped a little short of being finished. It does most of the things a clip launcher panel should do, except that you can't record directly into cells. Matrix is a solid foundation, it just needs a little bit of finishing off. More integration with Track View.

As an example of the kind of "integration" I'm talking about, in regard to both the sampler and Matrix View, there should be things like being able to select a region of audio in Track View, right-clicking, and having the option to send the selected audio to a Matrix cell or sampler slot.

Another feature that needs just a little bit more polish is the built-in arpeggiator. It's already great, and one of the coolest Cakewalk features, but there's no facility for programming one's own patterns. It's restricted to only the presets that come with it (and the "Alesion" set that's floating around). I guess Project 5 could program new arp patterns, but it's not around any more.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

47 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

but there's no facility for programming one's own patterns.

Have you never worked with the Step Sequencer?

I believe more could be done to improve that tool, but it is very useful for programing your own patterns.  

9 minutes ago, Grem said:

I believe more could be done to improve that tool, but it is very useful for programing your own patterns.  

This is another one of the features that came out and has tons of potential, such as the Matrix View. Smoothing out some of the rough edges would make these tools into must have items for all genre's of music

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bapu said:

Well, there are actually many things, but some are the way to side chain which is easier to do in some DAWs, and more difficult in some, it can be included VSTi's / VST FX. For example, there's no integrated VA in Cakewalk, not even the most basic one afaik.

Some integrated instruments in Cakewalk are the Virtual Drum Kit, Virtual Bass Guitar, Virtual Electric Piano and Virtual Strings. These are not quite EDM oriented even though they may be used in EDM sometimes or even often to a certain small degree.

More EDM oriented DAW's like Logic for example, comes with at least one really good integrated VA. The ES2 in Logic is fantastic by the way.

As a person working with all kinds of Sequencers/DAW's (at least to some degree) since the 90's, I can't see how Cakewalk would be EDM oriented.

However, since I'm so used to Cakewalk, I use it anyway. I like the workflow. There's a few EDM producers that use Cakewalk, but they're indeed not many.

Logic, Ableton, FL Studio are on the other hand all huge DAWs among the most known EDM producers in the world.

There's also other stuff that has been mentioned here, which makes it easier to work with loops and such. etc.

Edited by pulsewalk
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Have you never worked with the Step Sequencer?

What I meant was that there's no way to program one's own arpeggiator patterns for the built-in arpeggiator.

Yes, the Step Sequencer is great, and has some really cool hidden features having to do with randomization that I bet few people who use it know about. I only found them while working on themes. You can change the probability that  a given note will sound in a cycle, which can make for pleasing variations.

Which tool were you referring to that you think could be improved? And how could it be improved?

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

but development seems to have stopped a little short of being finished. 

it just needs a little bit of finishing off.

but, but, but, that's the Cakewalk way. 😁

I know you are only new here (relatively speaking) joining the old forums around the time of the great crash and the beginning of the ensuing uprising, I've been around since the dawn of time itself.

Edited by heath row

5 minutes ago, heath row said:

but, but, but, that's the Cakewalk way. 😁

I know you are only new here (relatively speaking) joining the old forums around the time of the great crash and the beginning of the ensuing uprising, I've been here since the dawn of time itself.

Now, that's kinda bash-y. 😄

I suspect that pre-BandLab, SONAR suffered (as many programs do) from feature/license chasing at the expense of polishing what was already there.

Cool new feature, everyone buy your upgrade licenses! But then the cool new feature (and many existing bugs) never quite gets finished as the team gets assigned with the task of implementing the next big feature.

I think that in the past 5 1/2 years, Cakewalk has benefited greatly from not having to chase upgrade licenses. The code is in the best shape it's ever been. However, I also think that it's fallen behind somewhat as far as adding new features.

Only two major ones in 5 years? Yes, great features, and of course all of the smaller ease-of-use features are a longtime user's dream, but the other DAW's have been taking bigger steps in regard to features.

I'm not griping, I love using the software and I have much respect for BandLab and the Cakewalk developers.

It has been interesting to see where the free subscription model took Cakewalk (and I think the results were wonderful), and it will be interesting to see where the return to a payware model will take it in the future.

BandLab claims 2,000,000 CbB users. I don't know how they're counting, if that's people who installed it or people who continue to use it (which they get updated stats on due to the need to refresh the license). I hope it's the latter.

Other DAW's are still just getting around to adding features that Cakewalk had many years ago (Studio One just implemented their version of Workspaces and Pro Tools just got a clip launcher). I'd like to see Cakewalk return the compliment. 🥰

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1