Up to 50% off Overloud GEM studio processors:

cclarry

56 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

Any recommandations? Still expensive…

Dopamine and Modula are my favorite offerings here...  

Dopamine for Queen vocals, or anything that can use that shimmery love.

Modula for the much loved Spx-90 Symphonic or vocals/guitar, and Dim D for bass width/synths.  I’m not a fan of the “Ensemble”, software or hardware.  One of these days it might work on a strings patch or something, but I’m just not into it.  Note that there is a scaled down version of this called “Gem Mod” that is free from time to time but omits the Symphonic and Ensemble features.  

I used these on almost every mix, so worth $67 to me, but if you cop a bundle it’s more around $50 each/bundle of 3 or $45 each/bundle of 5.  Maybe consider the Binson if you need a 3rd one, and get a lot of “pink floyd” type stuff to work on.  

I don’t really pay attention to their amp sims.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are really good sounding. Really surprised me.

I still use the VKFX bundle that they sold for the ProChannel. I am always surprised at how good they still sound and work. 

I like thier amp sims. Especially that Metro they have. They are the only amp sim that puts it out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, e-cue said:

Modula for the much loved Spx-90 Symphonic

does this include all the SPX90 programs, or just Symphonic?

i'd only used SPX90 a few times for that "grainy' 80s? reverb. or in a rack for shows. sold it to a guitar player for that patch alone, couldn't pay me fast enough...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jackson white said:

does this include all the SPX90 programs, or just Symphonic?

i'd only used SPX90 a few times for that "grainy' 80s? reverb. or in a rack for shows. sold it to a guitar player for that patch alone, couldn't pay me fast enough...

Just Symphonic.  

I used to use the 990 IR’s included in Altiverb for that grainy vibe, or the Ibanez/Sony SDE2000 (different but kinda in that world) but eventually got ahold of a IR set of just the verbs from the SPX90 that I loaded into Altiverb.  The “gate reverb” and “reverb gate” eventually got replaced by a Rematrix patch but it’s much less gritty.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Grem said:

These are really good sounding. Really surprised me.

I still use the VKFX bundle that they sold for the ProChannel. I am always surprised at how good they still sound and work. 

I like thier amp sims. Especially that Metro they have. They are the only amp sim that puts it out.

Really missing that VKFX bundle, as it didn’t go Apple silicon native. Such a lovely FX pack for Rhodes and Wurlies. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Time to pull the trigger if you're interested.
Sale was supposed to end Aug 2nd - but is still going on.  Don't know if it will be extended.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, e-cue said:

Dopamine and Modula are my favorite offerings here...  

Dopamine for Queen vocals, or anything that can use that shimmery love.

Modula for the much loved Spx-90 Symphonic or vocals/guitar, and Dim D for bass width/synths.  I’m not a fan of the “Ensemble”, software or hardware.  One of these days it might work on a strings patch or something, but I’m just not into it.  Note that there is a scaled down version of this called “Gem Mod” that is free from time to time but omits the Symphonic and Ensemble features.  

@e-cue  thanks for the suggestions.
I sprang for the 3 pack ($150) to pick these up.  Trying to decide on the 3rd. 

Edited by TheSteven

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Time to pull the trigger if you're interested.
Sale was supposed to end Aug 2nd - but is still going on.  Don't know if it will be extended.

@e-cue  thanks for the suggestions.
I sprang for the 3 pack ($150) to pick these up.  Trying to decide on the 3rd. 

GEM Voice is great to get in the bundle,  as it's often the most expensive even when on sale. It's really good for processing vocals, as that's what it's designed for, but there are a lot of modules in it and I've also enjoyed using some of the components in it, on different instruments. Even the reverb and delay modules in there are good too, so it's a lot of bang for buck. If you're getting the bundle that would be the best 3rd choice in my opinion.

I have CompLA which includes the 2A and 3A and are up there with the best I have and the Comp670 is my favourite Fairchild compressor so far. I also own EQ495 which is great too. Their Tapedesk is great and very versatile as you can choose different analog consoles (desks) emulations on the way in for the pres. Lighter on CPU than many of the other options, which is something that Overloud does really well.

Not sure they make a bad GEM so I don't think you could go too far wrong with any of them! But... whatever you get, you're likely to want to buy another bundle to get more after using them for a while 🤣

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, Last Call said:

Very expensive indeed.

That’s a miscalculation in my view.

1. When you buy any of these you get updates without any further charge.  But that’s small compared to…. The big one!

2. The big one!  All of these GEM plugins not only sound great.  The most winning feature for all of them  is low CPU usage. Which is a big deal!

I’ve cross tested for example LA2As on the same track (well, duplicates of the same track) and on each track put different versions of LA2As.  Waves, Softube, IK Multimedia, Native Instruments, UVI, Black Rooster and so on.  Then looked at the CPU hit for each. They all differed (with some taking up considerable CPU).  Overloud effects, including the LA2A, don’t even show a blip on CPU usage.  Like nada.

Same for the rest of them.

Another example is the Overloud Tape.  All the other suppliers use up a bunch of CPU.  If a song already has a lot going on you might choose not to even use that vendor’s tape plug  because it’s the last straw before the song starts to hang from lack of CPU.

But not Overloud’s Tape. Not noticeable at all  on CPU usage. And it sounds great.

In terms of value, if you think of all the time you might spend wrangling with effects to choose the right ones not to cripple your songs by lack of CPU cycles - that can add up to a lot of wasted time (and time is money as they say) - using Overloud effects will save huge amounts of time when mixing because of not hitting CPU limits - and all the Overloud GEM plugs sound great.

There - I said it - I fully endorse Overloud GEM effects. If you’re looking for a deal - look into them now while the sale goes on for a few more days.  Free trials for all of them. Plenty of vids on YouTube demonstrating their sound capabilities.

The real deal.

Edited by lawajava
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2