Softube Spring Reverb for $10

cclarry

17 minutes ago, MrFigg said:

Right...$10 GAS kicking in. I've got a whoooooole load of spring reverbs as it is.  Eventide, PSP, Ekssperimental Sounds and many more.

Tenner...save it or spend it?

Let’s cut a deal. Neither of us need it. Neither of us should buy it. So I won’t buy it if you won't.

• Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, jngnz said:

Let’s cut a deal. Neither of us need it. Neither of us should buy it. So I won’t buy it if you won't.

You're the best :). Thanks. Is that almost the same as I won't tell you if I buy it if you don't tell me if you buy it? Neither of us need it...oh no we don't... oh no we don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, dee said:

those ones are old and should be as free monthly at Pluginboutique by now, think delay was free few times already

I don't think just because an effect has been around for a long time that it suddenly becomes worthless. 

If a commercial developer makes a plugin that was once paid free, the odds are good updates and support for the plugin will end. In this case, if people still desire a good spring reverb -- which is true for a lot of musicians / producers -- and the developer has kept their plugin up to date, it's still valuable and maintaining a good plugin and providing support still costs money. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've tried multiple reverbs that claim to emulate a spring, only one actually sounded like one was Softube's.

I don't have the Softube one, but I sprung (ha!) for the UA AKG-BX20 a few years ago and it's fantastic. Great on vocals as well as guitars! I've picked up a few others over the years (e.g., one of the PSP spring verbs) but don't use them.

5 hours ago, jngnz said:
5 hours ago, MrFigg said:

Right...$10 GAS kicking in. I've got a whoooooole load of spring reverbs as it is.  Eventide, PSP, Ekssperimental Sounds and many more.

Tenner...save it or spend it?

Earlier (like 5 hours ago) I was 100% onboard with this and gave it a "Great Idea" emoji.  "Of course," I thought to myself, "if this were an echo/delay instead of a spring reverb, I knew GAS would get the better of me."

Then, it got "The Good Starship Krupa Plug-In Seal of Approval."

39 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've tried multiple reverbs that claim to emulate a spring, only one actually sounded like one was Softube's.

So I took a look.  And wouldn't you know--the Plug-In Boutique freebie-with-purchase is "The Comeback Kid Delay by Baby Audio."

Plus I had I had $1.87 in rewards!!!!! 🙂 

Needless to say, I went back on my commitment not to buy it.  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for yet another Delay/Echo.  Plus I got a Spring Reverb.  😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Then, it got "The Good Starship Krupa Plug-In Seal of Approval."

Why is there no emoji for blushing?

I do pride myself on being a good shopper, and I have kissed many a frog, especially in the reverb department. For anyone considering it, HoRNet's is best avoided if what you want is a spring reverb that actually sounds like a spring reverb.

Not even the mighty MTurboReverble could satisfy my spring reverb needs.

Where they usually fall short is when you really crank their input to get a washy sound. I'm a fan of 60's garage rock and pop, which often used spring reverbs in the small studios where they recorded. To get that sound you have to really push the spring. Convolutions don't do it because AFAIK, a single impulse can't model all of the different modes you get depending on how hard you push it.

Softube's nails it.

• Like 5

I tried, I really tried, but ...

softube.png.0261bc5ef6b855e586fbe53138a12e20.png

Now, I'm pi$$ed.  I paid $11 - $0.38 = $10.62 back in February, I could've saved a buck had I waited!  Maybe wait 'til BF?

BTW, thank you PB for letting me know (obviously 1. I use this a lot & 2. I need therapy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1