Kirchhoff-EQ, Better than FabFilter Pro-Q 3

jesse g

12 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Anyone saying they need something more powerful than that thing is kidding themselves.   It is really just a question of the interface and how to get to and interact with the features.  I prefer to click and drag to activate a band, but melda defaults to double click to activate it.   (so  I tend to create a preset where bands are already active so I can work the way I like.   If the workflow works for you it is on the same playing field as the other big hitters in dynamicEQs.

Too true.  People think they need the latest doodad in order to be productive.
If I'm honest with myself  - I was more productive (i.e. finishing more songs) when I had less tools.  But still, shiny toys are addictive...

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

If I'm honest with myself  - I was more productive (i.e. finishing more songs) when I had less tools.  But still, shiny toys are addictive...

A.M.E.N.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

Tonebooster EQ4 has some pretty impressive features, too.  All right around our sweet spot of 29 buckaroos.  I have a bunch of their plugins and both this and the reverb are excellent.  Great value, the lot.

https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_equalizer_v4.html

+1 

I also love the Toneboosters EQ4! It is my choice! And it has a customer-friendly authorization, too (no internet required).

IMHO it is more about what you decide to do with an EQ, than which one you choose! There are always those people who think the more expensive tools are better, what I doubt!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MarcL said:

+1 

I also love the Toneboosters EQ4! It is my choice! And it has a customer-friendly authorization, too (no internet required).

IMHO it is more about what you decide to do with an EQ, than which one you choose! There are always those people who think the more expensive tools are better, what I doubt!

I think TB plugins phone home for authorization. Or don't they?

1 hour ago, ralfrobert said:

I think TB plugins phone home for authorization. Or don't they?

The authorization works totally offline!

If you are online, maybe they check the current version, IDK!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarcL said:

The authorization works totally offline!

If you are online, maybe they check the current version, IDK!

Ok.  I thought it might phone home because it also asks for the email address and takes a few seconds to finish. Also, you get four activations as by the EULA. How do they check this?

The manual does not give conclusive information. I just activated the de-esser yesterday, and it at least feels like an online process. I am very happy to be wrong, however. 

Edited by ralfrobert

1 hour ago, ralfrobert said:

Ok.  I thought it might phone home because it also asks for the email address and takes a few seconds to finish. Also, you get four activations as by the EULA. How do they check this?

The manual does not give conclusive information. I just activated the de-esser yesterday, and it at least feels like an online process. I am very happy to be wrong, however. 

I'd like to know also, but there are other devs that simply have the email as part of the process to help mitigate sharing of license files (audiority, acon, scaler 2, even Melda has the popup with your name and address during auth - and all these seem to be offline compatible)

As for a delay, there can be a few reasons for this.  Guess the only way to test is install on a 5th completely offline machine and then bring it back online to make sure one doesn't get revoked or similar.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

Everyone is always looking for Fabfilter alternatives.  Do they use ilok?

I am thinking I should just save up for the massive Fabfilter bundle and be done with plugin searching.

I've heard of people just using Fabfilter for everything and it's they only thing they need.  Is this true?

11 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I am thinking I should just save up for the massive Fabfilter bundle and be done with plugin searching.

I've heard of people just using Fabfilter for everything and it's they only thing they need.  Is this true?

Short answer: yes. 

I got 8 Fabfilter plugins within the last year. They are making up 50% of the plugin instances in my projects now. Pair them with Arturia for vintage effects, Valhalla for verb, a convolution verb and a handful of selected tools, e.g. Melodyne, and you are out of the plugin game and can finish a song or two. 

15 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

A good engineer (along with a good band performance) certainly doesn't "need" anything other than the Total Bundle to make a good mix.  (no ilok)

People look for alternatives given the fact they are priced above the vast majority and they have excellent UIs.  

For a fraction of the buy in there, ToneBoosters offers an awful lot, as does Melda (the recent Anniversary bundle sale would have been the time)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jim137 said:

Why are you guys posting this the day after it went off sale from $99 to $299?

It would have been helpful earlier.

The Kirchhoff? There are 2nd hand licenses for 30 ... 40 bucks. Then you can wait for a voucher or pay transfer fees. Done If you desperately need it. 

And the next sale is around the corner, I am sure. :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fleer said:

I’ll get my Kirchhoff when it goes for a tenner. Or less. 

I think they will keep the price up for this one.

Fabfilter here, and it does the job, so no more plugins. As far as PA is concerned, I have several channel strips, ADPTR Audio stuff, some plugins by Unfiltered Audio and half a dozen emulations on top. Enough for me. Maintenance work on my system is mainly deleting things these days. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ralfrobert said:

I think they will keep the price up for this one.

Fabfilter here, and it does the job, so no more plugins. As far as PA is concerned, I have several channel strips, ADPTR Audio stuff, some plugins by Unfiltered Audio and half a dozen emulations on top. Enough for me. Maintenance work on my system is mainly deleting things these days. 

Similar story here. And way too fond of all those FabFilter goodies :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Developers have to reinvent the wheel to make money. 

• Like 2