HURRICANE

noynekker

Here's a new song where I once again connected with lyricist Carroll Kiphen ( an expert in hurricanes, living in the southern USA(:

Lately I've been trying to get some better bass sounds, so in this one I'm playing around with Modo Bass, a physical modeling software. I used to play bass in a band for many years, and this is the closest, and most flexible sound I've heard from a software based bass. This song uses a fretless bass . . . ya' . . . I could never actually play one of those ! Hope you enjoy . . . and let me know if the mix works . . . 

Regards,

Bruce

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Bruce - this is a great track - loved the Guitars - what did you use?

Mix sounds really good to me

Excellent

Nigel

@Bajan Blue Hey Nigel . . . thanks for your comments, and mix reassurance . . . since you asked, I'll share the way I did this one . . .

Started with a pattern from NI Picked Acoustic VST, then overdubbed my Yamaki Acoustic guitar with an alternate strumming pattern, mic'd with Sennheiser Omni directional, Valhalla reverb, played my Gibson Epiphone Electric in the chorus, thru Korg A3 . . . Fretless Bass courtesy of Modo Bass 2, BFD3 Brush Kit, and a few slide guitar touches with Ample Martin acoustic VST . . . next time, I'll ask you to reveal . . . because your "Devine Lie" stuff is always so awesome ! (Folks will wanna know)

14 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@noynekker Mix sound pretty good here on the Adam's I can hear everything quite clearly and it sounds well balanced to these furry lugs. :) 

Thank you Wookiee . . . clear on the Adam's, furry lugs and all, I appreciate you having a listen !

Loved the production Bruce. I especially liked the guitars. It seems your lengthy treatment on them was Well worth the effort. I Really enjoyed the timing of the different parts playing against each other. As Always , highly impressive lead vocals and your choice of harmonies. Great song  , the chorus was Real nice ..   Enjoyed it ..   mark

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Loved the production Bruce. I especially liked the guitars. It seems your lengthy treatment on them was Well worth the effort. I Really enjoyed the timing of the different parts playing against each other. As Always , highly impressive lead vocals and your choice of harmonies. Great song  , the chorus was Real nice ..   Enjoyed it ..   mark

Mark, thanks for the uplifting comment . . . the guitars really did take a long time to record and piece together on this one, but I did experiment a lot, and think I found a signal chain for recording my acoustic that works better . . . your input is most appreciated !

Bruce

• Like 1

Great vocals! 

I liked the mix from the perspective of the guitars! Great blending of your NI and your real guitars! I think you might bring the snare up, and the drums generally up, they sound a bit in the background on this one, as if the person who mixed this had their girlfriend stolen by the drummer.  Which, as we all know, always happens.

Mix good, arrangement good, vocals great!

cheers,

-Tom

I agree with the other comments. Also, here's a comment on the lyrics. I like to write lyrics so I pay attention to them and maybe learn from other writer's work. Here the lyrics follow the beat of the music really well. Great choice of words with the  inflection in the right place. I'm thinking it must have taken a lot of time to get them flowing so well.  Great job!
-Bjorn

Thanks so much everyone . . . 4 minutes of your time always appreciated here !

On 7/8/2023 at 11:49 PM, Paul Bush said:

Beautiful production , great song and vocals, harmonies perfect  .. nothing more to add except great song lots of twists and turns ..

@Paul Bush Great comment, thanks for the listen

On 7/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, PhonoBrainer said:

Great vocals! 

I liked the mix from the perspective of the guitars! Great blending of your NI and your real guitars! I think you might bring the snare up, and the drums generally up, they sound a bit in the background on this one, as if the person who mixed this had their girlfriend stolen by the drummer.  Which, as we all know, always happens.

Mix good, arrangement good, vocals great!

cheers,

-Tom

@PhonoBrainer Yes, it's a brush kit, and I kept bring the snare up as I went along, maybe not enough, I'll have a closer listen to the drum levels. Never had a drummer steal my girlfriend, they just drank all my beer until the meter got wobbly.

On 7/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, bjornpdx said:

I agree with the other comments. Also, here's a comment on the lyrics. I like to write lyrics so I pay attention to them and maybe learn from other writer's work. Here the lyrics follow the beat of the music really well. Great choice of words with the  inflection in the right place. I'm thinking it must have taken a lot of time to get them flowing so well.  Great job!
-Bjorn

@bjornpdx Thanks Bjorn . . . I did find it an easier path, with someone else writing the vocals, though still, some work to get it right, fitting it all together like a puzzle.

(When I write the lyric, it's like there is no puzzle to put together yet ?)