Spitfire BBC Orchestra Updated

cclarry

1 hour ago, simon said:

that's a slightly different issue - The VI thread mentions that the old v1.5 VST3 plugin might not get overwritten as the v1.7 VST3 plugin gets relocated to a new subfolder. 

There was no VST3 file in the common folder for BBC Symphony Orchestra until I put a copy there 

• Thanks 1

The easy way to do it is what @Keni said. COPY the VST3 from inside the recursive BBC Symphony Orchestra directory here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit)\Contents\x86_64-win up level to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and paste. It is 50Mb, so on my machine, no big deal.

It will still show an incorrect path in the PI Manager, but it works.

There is a much more difficult way to go in and hack the registry, which I eventually did, but won't detail here.

Edited by OutrageProductions

1 hour ago, simon said:

do you get the errors in the log file as per that VI forum post ? 

I have no errors listed in the log files.  SA installer has always seemed a little funky if not slow to finish updates/installs.  Sometimes taking a few times of closing and opening to make it stick not unlike my old Chevy truck door!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

I have no errors listed in the log files.  

that's very interesting - are you on windows and running plugin  v1.7 ? and which version of BBCSO (pro/core/discover) ?

on Windows the BBCSO plugin logs are in the folder c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\com.spitfireaudio\

Each time the plugin is initialised it generates a new log (.txt file) with a day/date in the file name.

Updated today.

I deleted the .vst3 tag from the folder immediately and then opened CbB, did an immediate scan and, viola, all working fine. No issues this time around.

Nice to have another piano.  Thanks Spitfire.

2 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Updated today.

I deleted the .vst3 tag from the folder immediately and then opened CbB, did an immediate scan and, viola, all working fine. No issues this time around.

Nice to have another piano.  Thanks Spitfire.

So the piano is free or do you need to buy it?

Just now, El Diablo said:

So the piano is free or do you need to buy it?

There are 3 editions of BBSCO Piano. 

Pro, Core and the edition that comes with BBCSO Discover.

The version that you get with BBCSO Discover is free. 

Users with an existing BBCSO library will be presented with an update to version 1.70, respectively.

This is to accommodate the piano.

If you have Core or Pro, there are some users where the instation of the piano brakes BBCSO Pro or Core.

I only have BBCSO Core and updated BBCSO Discover to 1.70. 

I now have BBCSO core and BBCSO Discover 1.70, which includes the BBCSO Discover edition of the piano.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, simon said:

that's a slightly different issue - The VI thread mentions that the old v1.5 VST3 plugin might not get overwritten as the v1.7 VST3 plugin gets relocated to a new subfolder. 

Reminds me of a user (me) error when using Sine Player. Got errors with newly purchased products. I got help from OT support and sigured out I kept updating the VST3 but was using the old VST2. 🤪

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, simon said:

that's very interesting - are you on windows and running plugin  v1.7 ? and which version of BBCSO (pro/core/discover) ?

on Windows the BBCSO plugin logs are in the folder c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\com.spitfireaudio\

Each time the plugin is initialised it generates a new log (.txt file) with a day/date in the file name.

Win 11 Pro, BBCSO Pro

Everything but the player updated to v1.7 as posted above.  Yes, I have several logs but most of them are without errors - I've posted two below with and without.  Unfortunately, I don't know at which point and log file the player successfully updated.  I think it was when I reinstalled Core but I don't know which log file that is.

Log without error - (first attempt to update) this was at the point player still showed as 1.5

Log with error

Log without error (most recent) - this was at the point player showed 1.7 (most recent)

It's interesting and confusing looking at the various player and patch versions listed within the log which don't all show 1.7. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

As @Promidi said....👍

I own bbc symphony orchestra pro.  For me the discounted price for new core version of bbcso piano is $74 and pro is $129.  

The complete your bundle offers of bbcso to add the piano come out higher for some reason ($50 more than price I quoted above) so buying the piano at discount seems way to go.

Free limited version of piano is free of course.

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

Anyone with Cakewalk had spotted the same issue with broken CC# assignments after updating to 1.7

Yup!  They have all reverted to their defaults on CW projects, Project Templates and Track Templates and on other hosts.

Not good enough Spitfire......

• Like 2

I repaired, but Cakewalk kept looking for the prior BBCSO in the wrong location. After multiple attempts at repairing/relocating to that location that Cakewalk insisted on (which did not work), I repaired to the file location I originally desired, then deleted the folder that Cakewalk had been insisting upon. After that, it loaded fine - v1.7.0.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, kevin H said:

I own bbc symphony orchestra pro.  For me the discounted price for new core version of bbcso piano is $74 and pro is $129.  

The complete your bundle offers of bbcso to add the piano come out higher for some reason ($50 more than price I quoted above) so buying the piano at discount seems way to go.

Free limited version of piano is free of course.

I think you're getting yourself confused.

This thread was about the fact that Spitfire Audio has added the piano to the BBC SO. Before this update there wasn't a piano. Now there is. That's all.

If you own the BBC SO Pro, why would you want to buy the piano separately? Just update your Pro version using the Spitfire app. 

And in all honesty, the piano is not that great. I've got 2 go-to pianos that I always use, and I cannot see BBC SO piano replacing either of them.

Save your money for something else.

12 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I think you're getting yourself confused.

This thread was about the fact that Spitfire Audio has added the piano to the BBC SO. Before this update there wasn't a piano. Now there is. That's all.

If you own the BBC SO Pro, why would you want to buy the piano separately? Just update your Pro version using the Spitfire app. 

And in all honesty, the piano is not that great. I've got 2 go-to pianos that I always use, and I cannot see BBC SO piano replacing either of them.

Save your money for something else.

Only the Discover version of the piano is free. You have to pay to get the other 2 versions.

You must've tried out the free version, it's horrible. The other versions seem great although they don't have a lot of velocity layers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BTP said:

Only the Discover version of the piano is free. You have to pay to get the other 2 versions.

This. When I read this thread it confused me so this is why I clarified the cost of each version in case anyone else was also confused.

Thanks for the tip to rename the folder. It wouldn't load otherwise. On another note I've loaded up a project that uses BBC SO Discover and the instrument levels are messed up. The trombone is now too loud vs previous version. That's what I noticed straight away. Thankfully I had already finished the project and exported the mix.