Reason ๐Ÿ”‘ The Old Authorization System Is Soon Discontinued โ€” Save 60%

cclarry

Itโ€™s time to break free. Reason+ and Reason 12 can be used to create anywhere, anytime โ€” its new authorization system is super smooth and just works.

Reason 1-11 all use an older authorization system, which will be discontinued soon. You will still be able to run older Reason versions, but with some restrictions. The future-proof solution is to upgrade to Reason+ or Reason 12. Click through and save 60% on your upgrade.

The campaign is valid until midnight 30/06/2023 and cannot be combined with coupon codes or any other offer.

https://reasonstudios.com/blog/offline/

• Like 2

In other words:

"People were able to crack our almost impenetrable Reason 12 and Reason+ anti-piracy measures by making use of exploits from version 11, so we'll waste your money and time developing a new one whilst removing your ability to use older versions of our software."

I'll eagerly wait for Chapter 11.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

In other words:

"People were able to crack our almost impenetrable Reason 12 and Reason+ anti-piracy measures by making use of exploits from version 11, so we'll waste your money and time developing a new one whilst removing your ability to use older versions of our software."

I'll eagerly wait for Chapter 11.

Oh man, that would be terrible. I celebrate wonderful wizards like those at Reason being able to pay their bills.

To summarize:

This update will remove the ability of people using Reason 6-11 (5 and below use a different activation scheme) to retain their offline authorization past hardware and OS changes. This doesn't affect people which had their registrations with the dongle. Now, people will be forced to use online authorization for 6-11 and will only receive a "new and improved" (i.e. a new anti-piracy measure) offline authorization if they upgrade to 12 or Reason+.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, tansetter said:

Oh man, that would be terrible. I celebrate wonderful wizards like those at Reason being able to pay their bills.

That's why they spend more time creating instruments than working on their DAW.

I still keep their dongle on a system.

At least with their authorization you can install it on all of your systems.

The Uniform Commercial Code needs an amendment so that whenever a company discontinues an "authorization system" for a licensed product, and it impairs in any way the existing functionality, then buyers should be entitled to use any means to retain their functionality. E.g.,, it should become 100% legal to hack such an authorization system, and publicly share the details of the hack.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

Software companies act as if I don't have any rights to the software I purchased out rightย in the past .ย Reason 11 is all I can handle right now and I don't like the idea of being strong armed into having to upgrade to Reason 12 .

Also I don't do subscriptions . Iย aint gonna pay to play andย ย the days of me spendingย  up to 300 bucks plus a year on any companies software yearly upgrades are longย  over .

To clear my head , I'm gonna grab and play a guitar I bought over 40 years ago . Did I happen to tell ya'llย ย I own thatย ย mother effing guitarย out rightย ๐Ÿ˜‰

rant over

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Craig N said:

Is online authorisation such a big deal?ย 

Take a look at iLok Cloud for example. It solves one problem by creating another, many of the plugins that use iLok are not compatible with it, so you end up having to micromanage your Cloud and local activations, it forces you to have your computer connected to the internet (which is something many people don't want their music computers to be on for several reasons) and, once you lose internet access or iLok experiences some issues which prevent you from accessing the auth servers, you just lost those tools. In Reason's case, they're holding you hostage as a user and taking things you paid for unless you comply with their demands to upgrade to the latest and greatest piece of software according to them.

ย 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Paul P said:

It is when the company goes out of business.

Take SoundSpot for example...

Not a good one at that.ย  I think I can still authorize Gigastudio 3 from Tascam.ย 

I doubt no one cries over losing the Soundspot authorizations. ย  Unfortunately online authorization is what fuels the piracy industry.ย  Usually its only for worthwhile products. ย 

People who use their computers for gigging need offline authorization.ย  I guess that where dongles use to rule but stealing dongles is another forum of piracy.ย 

I didn't mind Reason authorization since I had it one 4 machines and they app login could be filled in with Roboform and also remember your login,ย  When my internet went out the only machine where I could run it was using their dongle.

It's getting more difficult these days to have software that doesn't need to sign in.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 2

Some of these software companies need an overallย  reality check . They seem to act as if people didn't have any tools at all to create music before computers and software hit the scene .

Over the past 18 years I have spent a large amount of my disposable income on DAW's plugs and Software ....and you want to know something ?

None of it is worth a plug nickel any moreย  . Most of it I can't resell , what I can resell I have to render unto Caesar first , then when I go to sell it in allย  honestly in most cases it is not worth the headaches or aggravation to deal with these companies and pay license fees to transfer the software over to someone else ..ย 

I will admit software offers a musician a lot of convenience , but things seem to be heading down a road where theย  whole software experience is getting to the point where it may not offer much as far as an aggravation free experience .....

When I play my guitars and real musical instruments I don't have to pull up to the guard shed and have the corresponding authority check my papers before he decides toย  lift the gate so I can pass on throughย  ...

Kenny

ย 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I doubt no one cries over losing the Soundspot authorizations. ย  Unfortunately online authorization is what fuels the piracy industry.ย  Usually its only for worthwhile products. ย 

People who use their computers for gigging need offline authorization.ย  I guess that where dongles use to rule but stealing dongles is another forum of piracy.ย 

There's also the instance of legitimate customers which use cracked versions of software they own because either the cracked version is easier to install or can be used without some restrictions the official license has, like requiring constant online access and such. What do you do with them? They paid for the software already. Are they stealing it?

ย 

• Great Idea 1

shoot, I'm not a professional, but among us non-pros I think I enjoy myself about as much as anyone else, and I feel like I'm blessed that for just about a negligible amount of dosh I have a virtual collection of synths and drum machines and 303s and studio environment in my PC that I never could have had before like any other time in history, without tens of thousands of dollars. Everything is a trade-off. Would I rather have $20k worth of hardware - yes indeed! Am I happy with what I have? Is software occasionally inconvenient? You betcha! I'm living in a golden age, at least in my head, and there's plenty of room in here.ย Thank you proprietary (and FOSS) software developers!

Edited by tansetter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

Oh I didn't know they had gone - though their products were never that exciting

Why I keep bringing them up is that their products are stillย  being sold by Pluginย  Boutique, but there's no way to use them.

• Confused 1