BFD 3.4.5 update is now available

cclarry

BFD3.4.5 AVAILABLE NOW

BFD is proud to announce the release of the 3.4.5 plugin update with support natively on both Intel and Apple silicon (M1/ARM) Mac computers.

Features:
► Added Native ARM Mac support for AudioUnit and VST2
► VCA Comp has some presets now
► Dirty state indicator now included in preset name bar

Bug fixes:
► Crash when deleting favorites lists
► Fixed hi-hat pedal and splash processing
► Crash on startup when some preference entries are very long
► Minor tool-tip fix to groove editor tools

Known Limitations:
► VST2 plugin will not be found by Cubase when Cubase is run in Apple Silicon mode
► Pro Tools on ARM Macs requires running in Rosetta Mode still

Full details can be found in the official BFD3.4.5 Release Notes

Instructions:
1. Open BFD License Manager and Download+Install the latest version of BFD3 (v3.4.5)
2. Close BFD License Manager
3. Install the update (this will also update BFD License Manager)
4. Once installation is complete, open BFD License Manager, log in, and re-authorize BFD3

https://www.bfddrums.com/downloads.html

Edited by cclarry
  • Thanks 1

• TheSteven changed the title to BFD3.4.5 update is now available
5 minutes ago, HIBI said:

I believe this is actually a version released about a month ago.
I don't know why an email notification was sent out today.

yes - odd that they would wait a month, but we have to remember that the BFD use a different timing system to the rest of the world.   

A day in BFD land = a month for everyone else 

:D 

• Haha 4

To the BFD3 users: is the plugin working well?

I have BFD Eco and have watched the various forums over the years and avoided buying the upgrade to BFD3 (it's  only $49 USD) due to so many reported issues, but figured when I see people consistently reporting that it's working I will probably pick it up. The last thread I saw here, some users reported  that it works fine while others still had problems.  

9 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have BFD Eco and have watched the various forums over the years and avoided buying the upgrade to BFD3 (it's  only $49 USD) due to so many reported issues, but figured when I see people consistently reporting that it's working I will probably pick it up. The last thread I saw here, some users reported  that it works fine while others still had problems.  

It's certainly not perfect - but I'd suggest at $49 it's well worth picking up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, simon said:

A day in BFD land = a month for everyone else 

:D 

Oh Boy!  
A day at Disney Land can run you $179.
So BFD Land is truly a bargain!   But it does make it hard to take the time off for work / school if you exit the park a month after entering...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

It works OK

If you like BFD Eco, full BFD is more of everything.

To me, BFD has always held the preeminent position in audio quality among drum plug-ins but struggled in every other regard.

I seriously doubt inMusic is going to allow BFD to thrive, but they may give it enough oxygen to keep the "Open for Business" sign light. I say may because inmusic/BFD got off to a pretty bad start.

• Thanks 1

BFD3 users: is the plugin working well?

yes. use it pretty much daily with no problems other than; 

1) the initial rollout of InMusics mandatory authorization -requirement- every x months/days or everything gets locked out.  BFD would be deauthorizzed without warning after what seemed to be an arbitrary time frame (perhaps based on when a specific product was authorized). reauthorization was dependent on internet access and InMusic server uptime and who knows what else.

2) one with a 3rd party expansion that sorted itself on it's own, so perhaps some other issue?

the showstopper was (and still is) their implementation of a proprietary (dodgy) and mandatory authorization -requirement-  inflicted by a trojan horse update with the InMusic relaunch which hijacked a 4 figure investment in Fxpansion. No warning, heads up, t&cs, etc on the fundamental change in user expectations based on prior experience with the core team.  pretty sketchy way to treat a loyal user base. and then there's anecdotes such as this.

i expect not everybody (or even most?) need what BFD offers, but for those who do, there aren't any comprehensive alternatives. 

best practices here include;

1) maintaining a dedicated PC to run the pre InMusic version of BFD.

2) rendering drum trax for all projects to audio, both pre/post FX (++cost in time/storage) 

3) actively looking for a replacement, including the potential for a competitve product. after all, how many more eqs/comps/saturation plugins do you need when you can have more drums? 

for $49, you can have a pretty good time with it, expecially if you play.

I'd pay 10x for a DRM free version. 

Edited by jackson white
another 2 cents
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, scook said:

It works OK

If you like BFD Eco, full BFD is more of everything.

To me, BFD has always held the preeminent position in audio quality among drum plug-ins but struggled in every other regard.

I seriously doubt inMusic is going to allow BFD to thrive, but they may give it enough oxygen to keep the "Open for Business" sign light. I say may because inmusic/BFD got off to a pretty bad start.

Thanks, @scook.

I think it's been a couple of years since I had a nightmare experience with an InMusic owned AIR plugin that makes me a bit hesitant to buy another plugin from an InMusic owned brand. I think the plugin was Xpand!2, Vacuum or Hybrid and after installing it Windows wouldn't start again and I had to do a rollback. When i later found out that InMusic knew about  and acknowledged the problem in a thread on KVR several months earlier but still hadn't fixed it, it was the end of me buying more plugins owned by InMusic.  But they eventually did fix the problems with those plugins, and now they work fine on my machine. However, that experience makes me very cautious about buying another plugin from an InMusic owned software brand (I did buy a MIDI controller from them for my son, which is fine, but that's hardware), so before I give them another chance, I wanted to make sure that current users can confirm the many technical problems people have reported on BFD have been resolved. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

It works, until it doesn't. Given that nearly all songs I'm involved with use real human in-person live drums paled for the song, I rarely use any of my drum libraries except for the "demo" to have a sense of drums being there, not as a guide for the drummer, that is for them to decide what is best for the song.

Thanks, @scook.

I think it's been a couple of years since I had a nightmare experience with an InMusic owned AIR plugin that makes me a bit hesitant to buy another plugin from an InMusic owned brand. I think the plugin was Xpand!2, Vacuum or Hybrid and after installing it Windows wouldn't start again and I had to do a rollback. When i later found out that InMusic knew about  and acknowledged the problem in a thread on KVR several months earlier but still hadn't fixed it, it was the end of me buying more plugins owned by InMusic.  But they eventually did fix the problems with those plugins, and now they work fine on my machine. However, that experience makes me very cautious about buying another plugin from an InMusic owned software brand (I did buy a MIDI controller from them for my son, which is fine, but that's hardware), so before I give them another chance, I wanted to make sure that current users can confirm the many technical problems people have reported on BFD have been resolved. 

AFAIK Drew (the original dev on BFD) is still in charge of development. He may or may not be hindered by InMusic management but he is at least making an effort to keep the product alive. 

• Like 2

IMO, the biggest drawback to using BFD is once you install an add on pack it's a mystery, at least to me, what it's called (whackiest naming convention from within the program). Maybe I'm just used to how ToonTrack, Slate and Addictive do it. You add a Ludwig <kit> and it's name Ludwig <kit>, simples.

• Like 1

Long time user of BFD and never had a problem. I sometimes start with other "Superior" drums and nearly always end up at BFD. Maybe's it's because I'm more familiar with its in and outs. Checked the update on mine and it was already there.

• Like 4