Windows 11 is quickly becoming as sour as Waves Audio was...

El Diablo

When Waves Audio was pushing subscription only plans, they created a sour taste in everyone's mouth.  Windows 11 is doing the same, but I don't think they know how badly it's going to hurt their customer base, because they are so big.  At least Waves Audio was quicker to fix issues than Microsoft.  I foresee the end days of Microsoft coming soon...

Edited by El Diablo
  • Meh 1

6 hours ago, El Diablo said:

When Waves Audio was pushing subscription only plans, they created a sour taste in everyone's mouth.  Windows 11 is doing the same, but I don't think they know how badly it's going to hurt their customer base, because they are so big.  At least Waves Audio was quicker to fix issues than Microsoft.  I foresee the end days of Microsoft coming soon...

I know Office 365 is subscription, but W11 ?

Google turns up nothing, so a pointer to your info ……

J

So glad I didn't upgrade to Windows 11! Even though my PC meets the requirements to upgrade, three times now I declined Windows Update notices to upgrade. I remember when Microsoft said Windows 10 was the last version. So when they announced Windows 11 red flags were going up like crazy! I am glad I listened to my intuition. This is why to avoid: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3652612/windows-11-the-end-of-the-old-school-windows-desktop.html 

• Thanks 1

Microsoft ended support for Windows 7... I wonder if any gamers still use it to play any games online?

I believe Steam also ended support for Windows 7 too...

So, if Microsoft and Gaming software companies end support for certain windows OS, that could force many to upgrade or just be left out.

I wonder if Microsoft is the reason Steam no longer supports windows 7?

8 minutes ago, Hillmy said:

So glad I didn't upgrade to Windows 11! Even though my PC meets the requirements to upgrade, three times now I declined Windows Update notices to upgrade. I remember when Microsoft said Windows 10 was the last version. So when they announced Windows 11 red flags were going up like crazy! I am glad I listened to my intuition. This is why to avoid: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3652612/windows-11-the-end-of-the-old-school-windows-desktop.html 

Maybe it's good that Microsoft won't let me upgrade to windows 11 after all!  I'm now more happy to stick with Windows 10, rather than upgrade!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

I know Office 365 is subscription, but W11 ?

Google turns up nothing, so a pointer to your info ……

J

Rumors... I've read it somewhere, but got nothing from the horse's mouth to make that absolutely true.  Sorry.

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Microsoft ended support for Windows 7... I wonder if any gamers still use it to play any games online?

I believe Steam also ended support for Windows 7 too...

So, if Microsoft and Gaming software companies end support for certain windows OS, that could force many to upgrade or just be left out.

I wonder if Microsoft is the reason Steam no longer supports windows 7?

There's a way of running the most recent Steam build in these versions of Windows and it is required for some DOS games where the developer didn't bother to ship with a properly configured DOSBox environment (Like the first two Tropico games) or changed the game to run in modern OSes (I haven't checked, but JAST seems to be adding their whole dating sim catalog to Steam and the vast majority of those as Win98 games). You essentially install the last version of Steam for that particular OS, then grab some files from the latest Steam and replace them in the old install.

If you're running 12th or 13th Gen Intel CPUs, you're currently (essentially) forced to move to Win11.  

Microsoft has broken the ability to disable CPU Core Parking in Win10.

Have a look at your cores in Resource Monitor.

If you've applied necessary tweaks to disable CPU Core Parking, you will see that it's (now) not disabled.

If you're running heavy loads at low latency, this kills performance.

The couple ms it takes to unpark the cores can cause glitches.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1

"AFAIK subscription for Windows 11 only applies to Windows 11 Enterprise Edition, and does not apply to either Windows 11 Home Edition, or Windows 11 Professional."

Mark, 

Looking ahead to moving from CbB to one of the new programs, Sonar or Cakewalk  Next, does upgrading to Windows 11 offer any advantages or are we better off sticking with Windows 10?  Please advise.

1 hour ago, aleo said:

"AFAIK subscription for Windows 11 only applies to Windows 11 Enterprise Edition, and does not apply to either Windows 11 Home Edition, or Windows 11 Professional."

Mark, 

Looking ahead to moving from CbB to one of the new programs, Sonar or Cakewalk  Next, does upgrading to Windows 11 offer any advantages or are we better off sticking with Windows 10?  Please advise.

I use both Windows 10 & Windows 11 - to me there's no difference when using CbB/Sonar.

I'm stuck on Windows 10 for some of my machines due to the age of the CPU (one is a 3rd gen i7, the other a 6th gen i7), but personally I would upgrade them to Windows 11 if I could.  I do however keep up to date with all Windows 10 updates.

There's two schools of thought here (well probably more, but lets say two to keep it simple ;)  )

1. You have a stable system running in Windows 10 - if it's not broken, why fix it?... but some day you'll stop getting updates.
2. Upgrading to Windows 11 gives you the latest features/fixes, but at the risk of upsetting your current setup (e.g. audio interface driver incompatibilities).

So the real question is, what is more suited to you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1