Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

1 minute ago, michaelhanson said:

To be honest, the jury is out for me.

Probably a common sentiment. I want to stay with Cakewalk Sonar as it's what I'm familiar with.. but it really does depend on the pricing. The free updates and new features were lovely while they lasted,  but obviously couldn't continue forever...  so now we'll need to see how Bandlab value Cakewalk against the competition, and if us old timers who have paid for the product previously get any kind of accommodation. I totally understand the comments about being two different companies, and it would be completely justifiable to start from scratch, but if that happens then personally I'd have a good look round at some of the competition... 

Having said that, we have to be thankful that Bandlab kept Cakewalk alive, and has continued to invest in it... and has one of the best DAW forums around (which, actually, counts for a lot!)

• Like 8

My guess is Next will be web browser based, you know, running through Chrome or Firefox or whatever web browser you use.  This way they can reach more people.  I think Sonar will be the version that runs as it's own application installed on your machine.  Next will be free and Sonar will be paid. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TerraSin said:

I noticed they were asking about platforms in the questionnaire... is Cakewalk getting a Mac release again?

Cakewalk Next Beta is available on Mac and Windows

Cakewalk Sonar is Windows only (just like the CbB it replaces)

1Gqa7Gh.png

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, scook said:

Cakewalk Next Beta is available Mac and Windows

Cakewalk Sonar is Windows only (just like the CbB it replaces)

1Gqa7Gh.png

This is good. Trying to change the code for Sonar was a disaster to say the least last time it was tried. Better to keep the focus for it on PC. I wonder if Next will have more in common with alternative workflows of Bitwig and Ableton for electronic beat makers then?

• Like 2

My hopes:
 - no subscription.
 - that there will still be a basic free version of this new Sonar, with very little effects, no instruments, but not other limitations, so that people can still use Sonar as an entry point to the world of DAWs.  And then more complete versions bundled with more effects and virtual instruments.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

My guess is Next will be web browser based, you know, running through Chrome or Firefox or whatever web browser you use.  This way they can reach more people.  I think Sonar will be the version that runs as it's own application installed on your machine.  Next will be free and Sonar will be paid. 

Next isn't browser based at all. Like many apps today, even CbB, Next will leverage web technology in some places - loops browser and project uploads for example. But the architecture is 100% native desktop code and not a javascript based core like Electron. 

• Like 14

Interesting to see Cakewalk Next being offered on MacOS.  I can't see SONAR going MacOS any time soon, but it would make a big change to the user base. 

I wonder if this will see marketing efforts increase, as marketing for Cakewalk by Bandlab was virtually non-existent. It looked like a defunct product from the outside, despite multiple great updates being implemented. 

Pricing is key, especially when Reaper costs $60/$225. Definitely interested to see what happens. 

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

Congratulations and best wishes for success with the new products.  Also, thanks for keeping SONAR/Cakewalk alive, for making improvements over the past several years, and for allowing older users to continue to use Cakewalk by Bandlab in case they cannot make the transition to the new products.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

Next isn't browser based at all. Like many apps today, even CbB, Next will leverage web technology in some places - loops browser and project uploads for example. But the architecture is 100% native desktop code and not a javascript based core like Electron. 

Any chance for a bundle deal? I work with both electronic music and traditional and I think I could use the tools from both for projects unless you're planning on putting the features from Next into Sonar as well, of course. :)

• Like 1

Hi guys! This news is an earthquake!

On the first hand, it's wonderfull to see a great acceleration of Cakewalk developement,

On the other hand, "price points designed to meet the needs of different customers" is clearly the end of the "100% free AND 100% unlimited software" model! Of course , i understand a so great product, that need big investments cannot remain eternaly free. But I hope all the currently available features and caracteristics of CbB will remain proposed in a free version of Cakewalk Sonar, and the paid version will only bring new great features and instruments/plugin bundle. Ask to pay to have more is totally fair, but ask to pay to get what is currently free is clearly disapointing.

i also have one little question: i curently use a very beautifull skin for CbB. Is the new Cakewalk Sonar -and it's announced "UI enhancements"- compatible with CbB existing skins?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

What about older file formats (esp. *.wrk files)?

You can open them in CbB. In the worst case scenario (if wrk is no longer supported), open them in CbB, save them in the standard Cakewalk format, then in the new Sonar, I guess.

I like making themes.
Will the new Sonar allow us to customize the UI? Will it use the same Theme Editor? Did you fix such issues as one color used in several different places? Get rid of the old unused elements?

4 minutes ago, Grebz said:

I like making themes.
Will the new Sonar allow us to customize the UI? Will it use the same Theme Editor? Did you fix such issues as one color used in several different places? Get rid of the old unused elements?

Theming capabilities will change and there may be little to no customization in the first release of Sonar. That said, a tremendous amount of thought and effort have gone into this rework and we hope that the need for theming will be greatly diminished moving forward. 

The way that theming works in CbB is tortuous, so we're moving to a simpler, more elegant presentation idiom. The core customization capabilities that are needed most will likely be introduced in the future, but in a far more user friendly way than what's available in the current theme editor. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Jesse has a fair point. Remember when we got the Arranger Inspector icon and it broke every user theme because all of the spacing was different?  I remember making a custom theme when the Theme Editor first got released and I got about half way through it and realised it would all need to be overhauled if any new UI elements got added... and sure enough...! :/  That put me off of making any new ones. (You crazy .STH Lords have my respect!)  There definitely needed to be a new paradigm, especially since this is all bitmap based and that's not going to scale well to different resolutions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

Theming capabilities will change and there may be little to no customization in the first release of Sonar. That said, a tremendous amount of thought and effort have gone into this rework and we hope that the need for theming will be greatly diminished moving forward. 

The way that theming works in CbB is tortuous, so we're moving to a simpler, more elegant presentation idiom. The core customization capabilities that are needed most will likely be introduced in the future, but in a far more user friendly way than what's available in the current theme editor. 

Does this hold true for Workspaces (formerly Lenses) as well? I know Workspaces has a steeper learning curve than many people choose to navigate; however, I have found it to be a highly effective workflow productivity tool, even with about a 20-30% understanding of how to use it.  If it will not be in the first released version but will be re-tooled to be simpler, that would be good to know.