So .. is AI ( Artificial Intelligence ) coming for us Musicians?

1 hour ago, smallstonefan said:

Here's a video some of you might find interesting...

It's a tool and it may become an even better tool in the future.

One day I might ask AI to make me a MIDI piano track in the paying style of Elton John if he were plating in a speed punk metal band at 172 bpm. Won't that be fun?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

One day I might ask AI to make me a MIDI piano track in the paying style of Elton John if he were plating in a speed punk metal band at 172 bpm. Won't that be fun?

That is EXACTLY how I look at it Babu. 

I got so excited about MidJourney that I wanted to share it with my wife. After much build up, I asked her to describe a scene that she wanted to see. Anything she could imagine. She said "imagine a white and brown dog with floppy ears".

We have a white and brown dog with floppy ears.

For contrast, the first thing I asked it to draw involved purple mushrooms on the moon at night under thunderstorm clouds.

We both have access to this amazing tool, but her brain isn't wired for the creativity to get the most out of it. I am totally wired that way.

I look forward to AI music creation getting better and better. I will use those tools, along with drum VSTs, Cthuhlu, Scaler 2, various VST instruments, UAD plugins, my guitar, etc. etc. etc. to hopefully create better music than I ever dreamed possible.

HOW FREAKING COOL IS THAT???

1 hour ago, Variorum said:

I'm not so sure about that...

Sure. That's one "regular" song from a YT channel where 99% of its content is either VOCALOID music or anime covers. Because those are the two cases you see these being used for and that's under the umbrella of VOCALOID music.

And that's keeping in mind  I have the free version of Synthesizer V with all the voice banks including the free version of Solara (wich you can't use in commercial music, btw) and I've never run into any scenario where I even consider using them because the amount of effort required to make these sound good can be spent somewhere else. And since licensing for those seems to be always iffy at best (this being the primary reason why Alter/Ego failed as a product), you're never sure you can even use them legally as the video I posted earlier mentions.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

On 5/18/2023 at 7:44 AM, Jimbo 88 said:

Amazing, I can see a use for this straight away when I want to test out vocals and I'm too lazy to sing it myself or there is noise everywhere so I can't mic. The EULA seems to say that even with the paid pro version, for commercial release, you must attribute the vocals to the Synthesizer V voice database that is singing. ie you cannot rename the singer. I also wonder how much work must be put in to get the sort of results being advertised.

15 hours ago, Bapu said:

You can already do that, I've been doing it for years with Band In A Box.  An Example... I wrote a song for my Dad 25 years ago.  I had Band in a Box create a track with Errol Garner (my dad's favorite pianist).  I added a rock beat to it, and had my kid sing it.  Now I can do that,  only have an AI vocalist and I don't have to bother my kid.

Nothing is changing except things are easier. (I do miss bothering/torturing my kids).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tezza said:

Amazing, I can see a use for this straight away when I want to test out vocals and I'm too lazy to sing it myself or there is noise everywhere so I can't mic.

+1

Yes, I'm a terrible singer, so ...yeah.  The best thing is checking out vocal arrangements.

17 hours ago, Tezza said:

Amazing, I can see a use for this straight away when I want to test out vocals and I'm too lazy to sing it myself or there is noise everywhere so I can't mic. The EULA seems to say that even with the paid pro version, for commercial release, you must attribute the vocals to the Synthesizer V voice database that is singing. ie you cannot rename the singer. I also wonder how much work must be put in to get the sort of results being advertised.

You also have to agree with whoever licensing terms the voice bank you're using have as well. In Solaria's example, you can only use the paid version in commercial projects and attribution is optional (although they probably want you to do so). The terms also dictate how you have to refer to the bank in case you want to, you also cannot use it to create other libraries which use it as an element. You also cannot use it "as the input to any singing synthesis or speech synthesis model, algorithm, application or any data-driven workflow that generates singing voice or speech." (verbatim from their EULA).

It's also important to note that both Synthesiser V and Eclipsed sounds will collect your data. While it does say what kind of data it gets, it also says: "If necessary, Dreamtonics or Eclipsed Sounds will collect more information for the implementation of this Agreement. The User confirms the authorization to Dreamtonics and Eclipsed Sounds to do so, and Dreamtonics and Eclipsed Sounds shall keep such information confidential and shall only use such information for the target of this Agreement." (verbatim from the EULA). I don't know about you, but this is remotely not compliant with GDPR, IMO as it doesn't outline exact what kind of data it will collect.

As per using the product, don't be surprised if you have to test the thing yourself and determine what works for your use. There's barely any documentation for these, the documentation is not comprehensive enough or some features of the program require external knowledge that's neither explained nor pointed at in detail in the documentation. One of those being which phonetic language or variation of it the software uses, for example. You'll also be hard pressed to find video tutorials of these outside of basic knowledge already present in whatever sparse documentation it has. Think of this as a product made by VOCALOID users to VOCALOID users, much like how most AI algorithms suffer from the same issue as well. Ease of use and intuitiveness don't seem to be a priority for them despite some of them being commercial products.

9 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

I would think that just going out and getting some vocal training is simpler and easier. No ridiculous EULA either.

I took professional vocal lessons and still can't sign. I'm not tone-deaf and can play a decent level of guitar - but for some reason singing just isn't something I've been able to learn.

So no, not simpler for me.

However, hiring other singers to sing for me (or asking friends) is simpler. That's what I did on this track: Believe! https://open.spotify.com/track/3Qy72nlMl1F0cp1MmUOvJT

Oh, and Bapu was kind enough to play bass for me on that one! THANK YOU BAPU! I absolutely love that bass tone.

So, friends, hired guns, drum vsts, AI - whatever tools it takes to get the final result. 👍

On 5/20/2023 at 4:55 PM, smallstonefan said:

I took professional vocal lessons and still can't sign. I'm not tone-deaf and can play a decent level of guitar - but for some reason singing just isn't something I've been able to learn.

So no, not simpler for me.

However, hiring other singers to sing for me (or asking friends) is simpler. That's what I did on this track: Believe! https://open.spotify.com/track/3Qy72nlMl1F0cp1MmUOvJT

Oh, and Bapu was kind enough to play bass for me on that one! THANK YOU BAPU! I absolutely love that bass tone.

So, friends, hired guns, drum vsts, AI - whatever tools it takes to get the final result. 👍

Now isnt that a thing which could be leveraged by Bandlab within the Cakewalk community. A simple dedicated section here at the forum to CW users asking for musicians / vocalists amongst us to play on each others tracks as a service.

OR a complete seperate service section for this where members can show off there musical expertise and hire same.

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Great Idea 1

Just now, DeeringAmps said:

It’s called the songs forum. 

t

Which says - "Post links to your songs, share and discuss." If something isnt made obvious generally people will not be aware

More talking of an obvious specific service type facility where CW members can offer services either free or at a cost. So ig people are hiring from CW community they may consider other members here rather than a third party service.   

4 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

@aidan o driscoll admittedly there is not enough collaboration on the songs forum. But one more subsection on the forum would seem to me to be a “fool’s errand”. 
Just my nickel98 there…

t

I did mention the forum. But also possibility of a purpose built seperate section at the website specifically for us to offer each other music services either a place where people can look for services and list same and/or offer services. In website parlance it would be a directory type facility .. the ebay type thing or donedeal, but simpler

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I did mention the forum. But also possibility of a purpose built seperate section at the website specifically for us to offer each other music services either a place where people can look for services and list same and/or offer services. In website parlance it would be a directory type facility .. the ebay type thing or donedeal, but simpler

At the current moment, the most active place for Cakewalk is the subreddit.

• Like 1