Mix Check Studio is a free AI tool that tells you what’s wrong with your mix and how to fix it

satya

so, if I run some of my top 10 mix references through it, it should say “These are perfect.  No changes needed.”, right?  

giphy.gif

Cause this seems like a crazy irresponsible device in the hands of A&R and even some of the producers I work for/with.  

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

I just ran Dani California by RHCP (wav) through it. It picked up some clipping, excessive loudness for streaming and said it was pretty wide. It suggested adding some bass and highs for clarity. It's definitely a hot master.

12 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Thanks, but no thanks. Since mixing and mastering with my own ears have paid for my house, my cars, and a paddock full of motorcycles, I think I'll stay away from sharing my IP with anything AI.

Probably be fine for the neophytes though.😏

After I win my first Grammy, I'll do the same! ;)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

After I get my first paying gig, I'll do the same.

Whereas OutrageProductions wrote "Since mixing and mastering with my own ears have paid for my house, my cars, and a paddock full of motorcycles, I think I'll stay away from sharing my IP with anything AI..." I can say the investments some of us have made in our DAW related purchases could have paid for things like a nicer house, nicer car, etc. I'm pretty sure that Bapu could have bought at least one motorcycle just based on the stuff he posts "installed" on at this forum! 

The monetary ROI is terrible on the music I -- and most of us here -- make. Instead I focus on personal / artistic fulfillment ROI. My target audience is largely 3 people (my wife and kids). Everything after that is a bonus. I think many -- not all, of course -- of us here are in a similar situation.  I think I know who OutrageProductions is -- a pretty serious heavy hitter in the industry (it's pretty easy to guess based on his location and signature)  and I could understand why he shies away form AI tools -- he's a elite pro with golden ears and if was an artist fortunate enough to work with him, I would easily prefer his skills to AI. But for most of the rest of us who don't have anything approaching his skills, I think AI tools can be quite useful. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

These mix checkers are at best very general and not meant to be the final word on a mix. Even within a genre, the "ideal" mix is subjective and will sometimes be way off of what these tools suggest. I do think where these tools come in handy are when you find yourself not able to work with your usual setup (particularly your room and monitors)  and you need a little assurance that where you are provides a similar sound reference.   

• Like 2

I think there is some middle ground between being reliant on AI and being a ludite. We use AI all the time but we don't necessarily call it that. Automatic transmission on an automobile is to a degree AI.  There are some functions that are simple enough to be automated like initial levels.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

18 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I think there is some middle ground between being reliant on AI and being a ludite. We use AI all the time but we don't necessarily call it that. Automatic transmission on an automobile is to a degree AI.  There are some functions that are simple enough to be automated like initial levels.

Agreed. I personally don't know a great deal about mixing. Even when I was a working musician, I was a drummer professionally (I was trained on piano and organ too, but I excelled on the drums and loved playing them, so I exclusively played that professionally). Whether live or in the studio, I relied on sound engineers (or in small bands, whoever controlled the mixing board). While I used a multitrack cassette and reel-to-reel recorders as a kid and I think I had a mixing board, I really didn't know what I was doing when I made demos -- I was just trying to work out then, for demos to show to other musicians and wasn't worried about final production, as I wasn't creating something I was going to share publicly.  Consequently, even after decades of playing, I still only grasp the basics of EQing and other mixing and mastering essentials. I've advised a bunch of plugin and sample developers on branding and marketing, including advising some who make very high quality plugin effects. I've turned to some of these folks for advice on what effects I should use and I've found that none of them have a negative attitude towards AI. In fact, I was recommended to look into Izotope and Sonible. And I've found that some of my pro friends use tools with AI like the Sonible and Izotope stuff (although the recommendation I get the most is to buy Fab Filter stuff, like their EQ). As it's been explained to me, they use it for insights; it's just another tool in the toolbox. They don't stop using their ears  and rely solely on AI. Not even close. They use it to get a perspective they otherwise might not have thought of or an insight that lets them try different things a little quicker than without AI. At least that's my understanding from what's been explained to me.  

But I completely understand how a longtime audio engineer who has 8 Grammys and 17 platinum records like Outrage Productions may feel that s/he doesn't need these tools. If I had a choice between being able to use that engineer or AI software, that would be an easy choice -- I'd take the engineer every time. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

@PavlovsCat

You're too kind.

But as a caveat (since it was mentioned), I  DO occasionally use Izotope Mastering Assistant to slam out a quick reference for a client on the road to final mixes, but it (the interaction with AI) stays in the studio building, not out in the cloud. It does a fairly usable job for transmitting an MP3 ref, but when client expects high end results, I rely on my hardware & software suite, excellent ear training, and a generous application of another irreplaceable resource... time.

Oh... if I could only buy more time. 🙄

• Like 6

9 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

Automatic transmission on an automobile is to a degree AI.

This is a good example that shows how difficult it is to create reasonable "AI" ! I drive both with manual and automatic transmission. On very boring flat highways I like to use auto, but on small roads that have a lot of bends and that go up and down it seems the automatic transmission is really not efficient, because it cannot act previsional.

It's the same with AI in all other areas, it is limited to the imagination of the engineers! If they forget some (rare) cases, there can happen odd things, sometimes even horrible things (see airplane, rocket history)!

I don't mind if AI is a great help in editing music or mixing! But even such basics like transient detection does not work reliable in any program, how else could we interpret the different results from daw to daw, tool to tool? Frankly, I am still waiting for the program/tool that can do only that with 90% accuracy!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

I  DO occasionally use Izotope Mastering Assistant to slam out a quick reference for a client on the road to final mixes, but it (the interaction with AI) stays in the studio building, not out in the cloud

I think that's an important point that many overlook. Some cloud-based AI solutions run on a neural network and we don't know 100% what they do. ChatGPT was recently banned in Italy because of GDPR; it takes in data but it's impossible to extract, correct, or remove the data that's been input.