Whole Cakewalk is extremely BUGgy, unworkable. Can't take it anymore.

pulsewalk

On 4/5/2023 at 4:37 AM, pulsewalk said:

I rather don't send out my complete projects. The best would be if they could release a tool that could run such a check on the users computer and save the info in a text file or whatever form it should be saved, which the user could send back to the DEV's. Also, this log file shall not contain any musical information etc., as there's sometimes quite rigid copyright issues and what not.

@pulsewalk If you have a problem that is project specific as it certainly appears to be in your case, the only hope to resolve the issue is to send us the project file. In many cases we don’t even require the audio data to identify problems so you could try sending just the cwp file first. Cakewalk does not share user data with anyone so copyright should not be an issue here.

• Like 2

@pulsewalk You have the lead developer responding to your request with  an invitation to provide a personalised investigation of your issue. Can you imagine any other DAW providing such a service (and for free as well)?  🤯 As Noel stated you don't need to include any audio files in the first instance, so hopefully no copyright issues, so would be great if you can send your project to the bakers - you'll benefit, and other users may benefit if the bakers uncover a bug that can be fixed.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...

@pulsewalk

The problems you are experiencing were similar to the ones I experienced on my project. I'm inclined to agree that it is probably project related. In my case my project has only forty two tracks. I too have gone down similar roots as yourself to try to resolve the problem. I will send a .cwp file of my project to the developers to see if we can get to the bottom of this. FWIW the project I'm working on is four years old, pre-pandemic, and was put on hold  because of the pandemic. I have since transferred all of the project over to Reaper and I am finishing the project there. I opened a couple of other projects from the same era in CbB and they opened and played back fine but in both of these I had not frozen/unfroze any of the tracks. 

• 4 months later...

so what is a better software? I am ready to dump cakewalk and the issues.

Up until recently I was running a Win7pro64 and was advised that I couldn't update to the 'latest goodies'... I have win 10 and 11 on other computers and see the problematic confusion... much like ME or win8 among other microsoft fails... but I upgraded to a win11pro64 and a Ryzen 7 and it's nice so I could upgrade.  Up until this 'supposed grade' I had been creating complex compositions using cakewalk (after the SONAR I purchased was taken over by cakewalk) ... lots of nice features and no problems... but after the 'upgrade' things like "groove clip looping" no longer work... all that happens is a joke no matter what complex workarounds some have suggested... before it was a simple create and convert and use.... now nothing so now I am at duplicating a clip I create then bouncing to get a longer clip... mostly absurd.   And now anything a little complicated for example with 9 tracks only and surround sound... when exporting to WAV... a simple process cakewalk shuts down 80% of the time... then when it does 'export' it creates files that are blank... then the audio freaks out on cakewalk requiring a restart. 

I know some of you like it...  AND I DID... but I'm not going back to WIN7 because I have too much invested in this new setup... but how frustrating to work with something this substandard... with the same name. . . ouch.  embarrassing for whoever is coding and managing.

so I could use some suggestions to move beyond this mess...

Reaper perhaps... or something else...

Input on A CHANGE is appreciated... as there is zero help from cakewalk as an entity...

thanks...

this "upgrade" I just went through is a complete waste of time and is causing me to hate trying to create music....

• Meh 1

@Bud Brown it's impossible to advice you what DAW exactly will work for you best, you need to invest a bit time, download some Trials and see what suits you best with time

what DAWs are there everyone knows, if you're not sure, there are many rankings online made with different points of view so you can start with checking them

• Great Idea 1

36 minutes ago, Bud Brown said:

this "upgrade" I just went through is a complete waste of time and is causing me to hate trying to create music....

It's been working perfectly for 4 full days for me on Win10Pro/Intel.

No bugs that I haven't already developed workarounds for or expect to be resolved in Sonar. 

Maybe you need a new, different, and less taxing hobby. One that allows a cheese & biscuits platter to go along...

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 3

1 hour ago, Bud Brown said:

so what is a better software? I am ready to dump cakewalk and the issues.

Up until recently I was running a Win7pro64 and was advised that I couldn't update to the 'latest goodies'... I have win 10 and 11 on other computers and see the problematic confusion... much like ME or win8 among other microsoft fails... but I upgraded to a win11pro64 and a Ryzen 7 and it's nice so I could upgrade.  Up until this 'supposed grade' I had been creating complex compositions using cakewalk (after the SONAR I purchased was taken over by cakewalk) ... lots of nice features and no problems... but after the 'upgrade' things like "groove clip looping" no longer work... all that happens is a joke no matter what complex workarounds some have suggested... before it was a simple create and convert and use.... now nothing so now I am at duplicating a clip I create then bouncing to get a longer clip... mostly absurd.   And now anything a little complicated for example with 9 tracks only and surround sound... when exporting to WAV... a simple process cakewalk shuts down 80% of the time... then when it does 'export' it creates files that are blank... then the audio freaks out on cakewalk requiring a restart. 

I know some of you like it...  AND I DID... but I'm not going back to WIN7 because I have too much invested in this new setup... but how frustrating to work with something this substandard... with the same name. . . ouch.  embarrassing for whoever is coding and managing.

Input on A CHANGE is appreciated... as there is zero help from cakewalk as an entity...

thanks...

How much  resource hogging bloatware do you have running in the background on this new machine?

• Like 1

Before any well-intentioned DAW users try to help someone that on the surface seems to be asking for help, please read this thread after it was used to vent following two-years of being an inactive thread:

Notice the negative mindset used to "bump" the ancient thread which up until that point consisted of respectful replies. Notice also how the off-topic rant wandered to other complaints.  As the Topic clearly states, the thread  was about the Control Bar.

I have often been guilty of offering help others, but after a number of threads from hostile posters, I came to realize that trying to help those who are really just venting disrespects the decision of those who just want to stop using Cakewalk and just want to vent.

Far be it from me to tell others to stop engaging what some might call trolls. But before you try to help any more "Enough-is-enough; I'm-done with-Cakewalk" soon-to-be-ex-users, I would just like to encourage you to help users who really want help.

On the surface, the post here is phrased to be a request for help.  If you scratch the surface, you might agree that it is little more than thinly veiled venting. 

1 hour ago, Bud Brown said:

so what is a better software? I am ready to dump cakewalk and the issues. . . .

this "upgrade" I just went through is a complete waste of time and is causing me to hate trying to create music....  [emphasis added]

@Bud Brown There are a number of users who have (and use) several different DAWs, sometimes using them to fulfill different functions in their workflow.  However, it is abundantly clear that the reasons for your posts (the older thread and this one) is to proclaim to as many people who will listen you are done with Cakewalk.

You don't really need to subject yourself and others to all the drama.

BTW, I doubt most Cakewalk users will bear ill feelings towards you if you choose to use other music-making tools. 

I hope you find happiness with whatever music-making tools you choose to use if you continue to make music.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

This is exactly why threads should be locked after a certain length of time.

I vote "NO" to locked threads! 

When we whiners wanna whine just get out of our way and let us whine dammit!

Most of us here can't afford therapy. This is as close as we get. 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1