Culling my plugins ... pruning subs and direct debits .. it adds up

aidan o driscoll

18 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

After all the purchasing over the years .. many via this DEALS section :D ... I decided to deep dive into my plugins folders and start being tough and getting rid of paid/free plugins that I am still not using. I want to get my plugins down to what I would use regularly. Doing same with DAWs .. I have a few, so I am just going to have Cakewalk and reaper installed, everything else goes.

I find I am overwhelmed with plugins TBH and that its a positive step to cull as much as possible .. less is more and most likely more productive also, less temptation to go off side roads etc.

Thats the plan anyway.

Anyone else at any point conclude this / try :D

EDIT - one other honourable exception :D .. I may keep REASON INTRO 11 on board ONLY to have it in "plugin Mode" ( I have the reason plugin ) inside CW/Reaper to have access to its unique inhouse plugs now and then

I'm in the same battle as you, but lately, I've been focused on sample libraries -- because that's what takes up the vast majority of my hard drive space. I've deleted A LOT of sample libraries that I don't use. It's easy to delete freebies I don't use or don't like, but it's more challenging for libraries I've paid for -- it's my practical nature thinking, I've paid for this, I can't delete it! 

I'd say I'm doing good, but my sense of irony is too great. We're in the Deals subforum.  Also, I miss Larry. I hope he's having a great time. 

• Like 1

@abacab @PavlovsCat You both made mention of sample libraries. I realise there is another thread about LOOPCLOUD - particularly I think on the demo / trial version and issues with it, also issues with certain features removed when you finish the sub. Personally I have no issue with this .. I am more interested in the samples I choose there with the points you build up during your sub + the loopcloud plugins within CW tracks I think are fantastic the way they work.

So why bring up Loopcloud here? In general I am a great believer in and user of the CLOUD, its the way forward in my view rather than cluttering  drives with sample libraries in this case. Plus with member plans you do get cloud space to upload your samples too ( 50GB with the STUDIO plan that I have, 250GB with pro ). I think a cloud based sample solution at this stage is a no brainer. Where loopcloud is concerned I have NOT paid full sub of $99 per annum for a long time. Before I am due to renew sub, I CANCEL and each time so far they give me a personal renewal offer of $50 per annum, that I think is excellent value for a year. Also throughout the year they do knock the price down to as little as $50

I would urge people to try it OR any other cloud based samples solution. FREE is not necessarily always the best BUT there is always a sweet spot price wise for most where they will be happy like me :D

The plugin functionality alone is excellent as far as I am concerned. Adding the loopcloud plug to a track in your project auto launches the Loopcloud app / UI on your system. There you can select ANY sample from there 10s of 1000s of samples and LIVE audition this sample loop inside your project.  Keep doing so until you find one you like. It is only at this stage you "BUY" that sample with your amassed points which you get monthly via your sub ( I have 9947 pts or so at the moment over last 3 years .. in my STUDIO plan I get 300 points per month to "spend" ).

BTW with your plan you get a daily allowance to download sample loops FOR FREE. With my STUDIO plan that allowance is 25 samples a day I can download gratis ( thats 175 free samples per week or 700 free samples per month.  

Within the loopcloud app is also a DAW with 8 tracks - so you can add up to 8 sample loops, mix match, chop etc WHILE having all this playing live with your CW project at the tempo in CW of that project ( loopcloud takes its tempo from the DAW .. it also syncs the sample pitch wise etc ).

Anyway .. thats my 2 cents. I dont bother buying sample libraries any more, nor store them on my system. For me $50 per annum for all the above is just great value.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, locrian said:

I seldom use loops in my music, so Loopcloud would be of no value to me.  But thanks for the suggestion.  Cheers...

As I said @locrian .. my comment is aimed at those who mentioned having sample libraries on there systems and storage already. If you dont use loops in your music then yes Loopcloud is of NO USE to you. However I will add .. with the way these loops are integrated live into your CW projects via loopcloud plugin I have found it a great creative tool for new ideas .. just to use them as a start point for ideas for a new track/song. 

I only mentioned cloud based loop solutions as an ALT to allow further culling of stuff locally on ones systems.

AND because you are auditioning loops BEFORE purchase you are not wasting anymore cash on buying GBs of loops you may never use. You just end up with loops / samples you will actually use

Also if one has sample libraries already one may find they are also in loopclouds massive library already or an equivalent, thus freeing up huge used space on ones own backups and drives locally

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

You both made mention of sample libraries. I realise there is another thread about LOOPCLOUD - particularly I think on the demo / trial version and issues with it, also issues with certain features removed when you finish the sub. Personally I have no issue with this .. I am more interested in the samples I choose there with the points you build up during your sub + the loopcloud plugins within CW tracks I think are fantastic the way they work.

I don't use sample loop libraries. I was referring to sampled instrument libraries for example Spitfire, Orange Tree, Indiginus, IKM, etc.

I do have a small collection of waves and loops that I occasionally load into sampler instruments, but I don't use loops and samples by themselves to build up tracks with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, abacab said:

I don't use sample loop libraries. I was referring to sampled instrument libraries for example Spitfire, Orange Tree, Indiginus, IKM, etc.

I do have a small collection of waves and loops that I occasionally load into sampler instruments, but I don't use loops and samples by themselves to build up tracks with.

I hear you. I also have zillions of Kontakt sampled instrument libraries over the years. I have to admit .. most I have never used. Lots were free and just downloaded BECAUSE .. they were FREE :D

@abacab I actually have been wondering when these sampled instrument library companies will start offering cloud facilities to users to store / play libraries from. I realise this may involve sub options,  but I imagine its coming .. esp for those of us on Gigabit Fibre Bband

Edited by aidan o driscoll

2 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@abacab I actually have been wondering when these sampled instrument library companies will start offering cloud facilities to users to store / play libraries from. I realise this may involve sub options,  but I imagine its coming .. esp for those of us on Gigabit Fibre Bband

They've already started: EastWest have Composer Cloud; Cinesamples have Musio.

The question isn't just when will they be available; it's also will customers be willing to subscribe? There's also another aspect - you'll still need to download them to use them, whether that's as a temporary install, or whenever a project is opened (which will be painful for larger libraries). In the case of the former, you've arguably already got that with any company that allows multiple downloads - you just install what you want when you need it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Plugins don't take up a lot of space.They just create more confusion having so many in some DAWs.  

Some do like those from IKM and Acustica.  The size of the latter -- which were all freebies except one -- takes up ~20GB of space! 

On 12/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

I decided to deep dive into my plugins folders and start being tough and getting rid of paid/free plugins that I am still not using.

That's like removing all the other 15 grand pianos from a concert hall leaving just one! Huh..

Edited by chris.r
  • Haha 1

See my quiz on "desert island" FX.

I wrote out my list, then looked at it, all 15 of them, and asked myself why I have 20X that many. Yeah, some of those are one-of-a-kind sound design-y things from the likes of Glitchmachines, Freakshow Industries, and Unfiltered Audio, but the list in my "compressors" category is huge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

BTW with your plan you get a daily allowance to download sample loops FOR FREE. With my STUDIO plan that allowance is 25 samples a day I can download gratis ( thats 175 free samples per week or 700 free samples per month.  

You can download the same files without limit from the Loopmasters website - see "Download Taster Pack" where available on the individual sample packs. :)

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

See my quiz on "desert island" FX.

I wrote out my list, then looked at it, all 15 of them, and asked myself why I have 20X that many. Yeah, some of those are one-of-a-kind sound design-y things from the likes of Glitchmachines, Freakshow Industries, and Unfiltered Audio, but the list in my "compressors" category is huge.

I’m thinking I should just go ahead with my stock Apple, Bitwig and Reason plugins plus FabFilter and Apogee or Slate for exacting emulations, then add only special ones like SoundTheory Gullfoss, Arturia Dist Coldfire and Fragments, Eventide Physion and Split EQ, or Wavesfactory TrackSpacer and Spectre. 

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I’m thinking I should just go ahead with my stock Apple, Bitwig and Reason plugins plus FabFilter and Apogee or Slate for exacting emulations, then add only special ones like SoundTheory Gullfoss, Arturia Dist Coldfire and Fragments, Eventide Physion and Split EQ, or Wavesfactory TrackSpacer and Spectre. 

Those are the bloated ones if you have sample based REs.  Mine are over 15gb and can't be moved since Reason is still in the dark ages where you can't separate the RE from the samples.

9 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I hear you. I also have zillions of Kontakt sampled instrument libraries over the years. I have to admit .. most I have never used. Lots were free and just downloaded BECAUSE .. they were FREE :D

Most of them are in Komplete

• aidan o driscoll changed the title to Culling my plugins ... pruning subs and direct debits .. it adds up