Flash Sale - Waves Platinum for $99

cclarry

20 minutes ago, simon said:

obviously any Waves thread will come down to WUP :) 

You can move to a new Machine without problem without WUP 

I assume you when you say 'new OS' you mean Mac ? - ultimately this  is a problem for all software - and lots of times developers make you 'pay' for the upgrade anyway.

Support - well I'm not sure how you put a value on that - I find most developer support useless - I've only ever logged one support request with Waves and it's still unresolved a couple of years later.  Plus you get a years support when you purchase - hopefully most issues will be resolved for you by then ?

TLDR: don't let WUP-fear stop you buying waves (IMO!)

I don't personally use Mac, but yes, it's definitely more of an issue there. But it's quite plausible that it could still come up with Windows, albeit it doesn't seem to be anywhere as bad as with Apple. But a DAW change in a few years could require an update and therefore WUP to be paid.

And while many do charge for updates, they generally add new features and functionality, whereas for the most part, Waves WUP just gets you back to using what you had. But a tonne of great developers keep releasing new versions for free as well, so I'd rather be aiming for the best, instead of accepting the lower end of that.

The other thing I didn't mention, was that I like to be able to run a copy of the same plugins on a laptop and DAW and unless you want to mess around with USB keys, which aren't great with laptops due to the limited number of ports, or transferring licenses whenever you want to work on the laptop, you need active WUP.

That's a funny point about support.. that can definitely be a mixed bag and I would agree many of the companies suck for that, so maybe from Waves it's a moot point! haha....

I do like to boycott them as much as possible though, purely because I don't like their business practices and I don't want to reward and encourage them for that behaviour. But I have bought a couple of their plugins and this offer did tempt me more than most of theirs. Still haven't completely ruled it out! But I have a feeling this Black Friday is going to be bigger than ever with lots of great options, so I'm good either way.

If they dropped WUP and made them 2 or 3 seats, this would be pretty close to no brainer territory 😎

Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grem said:

Yep. A lot of good toys. 

The first three are all under-rated. Audio Track, C1, C4. all three are still outstanding plugins.

For $4.41 each?

Then throw in all the Ren plugins, and all the V plugins, and that Electric Grand is really nice too.

No-brainer if you ain't already got 'em.

I upgraded from Gold to Gold+Renn for a tenner through Koby last time. EveryPlugin rules. 

• Like 3

Told a friend to grab it yesturday ,..83 $ at audio deluxe and you get a fre compressor ( The green one ) 

at the price of a plugin you get some serious tools , the renaissance , c4 , s1 imager , gtr 3 , electric piano ect ... some great classic here ...

• Like 2

I'm one of those who has an older Macbook dedicated specifically to music creation, and I never update the OS specifically to avoid incompatibility issues with plugins. 

Am I wrong to say that you can just activate v14 licenses on any older Macbook (regardless of the age), and just keep even the older v10, v11, or whatever versions installed that are compatible with your OS, as long as you don't plan on updating?

Seems like WUP is only affecting the person who is constantly updating their computer to the newest OS but I could be wrong? I can see how WUP can be extremely frustrating for that person either way

For what it's worth I'm still on OSX 10.14 and have access everything up to waves' v12 plugins, and haven't had issues running plugs from any other companies yet

Edited by dumbquestions

5 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

Am I wrong to say that you can just activate v14 licenses on any older Macbook (regardless of the age), and just keep even the older v10, v11, or whatever versions installed that are compatible with your OS, as long as you don't plan on updating?

that's a good question (not a dumb question ;)  )- I think the Waves installer always wants to install the latest one but it always asks permission before updating - and you can select what is installed/updated. 

If you are saying your OS is not compatible with v14 then I'm not sure you will be able to install older versions if you buy plugins now....some of the plugins don't even exist in very old versions.

(if that makes sense ?)

I would double check with waves support before spending money.

10 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

I'm one of those who has an older Macbook dedicated specifically to music creation, and I never update the OS specifically to avoid incompatibility issues with plugins. 

Seems like WUP is only affecting the person who is constantly updating their computer to the newest OS but I could be wrong? I can see how WUP can be extremely frustrating for that person either way

I don't have a MAC.  

Your idea in theory is correct.  However, I've had old versions (and new versions) just stop working out of the blue at least 3 times over quite a few years of use.  Instead of doing WUP, I just let them die and found an alternative.

If you do not have them installed today, I'm not sure you can install v14 if there is already a compatiblity problem.  But generally speaking WAVES, in theory, says you can have multiple co-existig versions.

ClarityVX is the only plugin they make that I'll put on a project these days.

Edited by Brian Walton

6 minutes ago, simon said:

that's a good question (not a dumb question ;)  )- I think the Waves installer always wants to install the latest one but it always asks permission before updating - and you can select what is installed/updated. 

If you are saying your OS is not compatible with v14 then I'm not sure you will be able to install older versions if you buy plugins now....some of the plugins don't even exist in very old versions.

(if that makes sense ?)

I would double check with waves support before spending money.

Thanks! Yes makes total sense. I also found this guide to roll back to an older version https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-roll-back-to-waves-v10

Looks like this method works for versions v9 and above

Edited by dumbquestions
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

But generally speaking WAVES, in theory, says you can have multiple co-existig versions.

I'm running v13 and v14 - plus the waveshells (for vst) have multiple versions even with the same 'series' - ie v14.0.1 v14.02 etc meaning most people are using multiple versions even if it's all V14

• Like 1

on windows 8 i cannot use last versions , i think V11 or 12 max 

by the way same goes for UAD , i bougth plugins that i can't use lol last installer is windows 10 only (i can use those on my laptop) 

Palning on updating windows but i didn't even fisnished the laptop migration (presets , stettings , plugins and samples install ect ..a pure pain) 

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, simon said:

I'm running v13 and v14 - plus the waveshells (for vst) have multiple versions even with the same 'series' - ie v14.0.1 v14.02 etc meaning most people are using multiple versions even if it's all V14

Yeah, I mine scans v9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.  Super annoying when the only one I still use is Sibilance and ClarityVX (both 13 or 14)

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

Waves' plugins don't stop working when WUP expires. I don't understand why that's a factor about whether or not to get this. Waves makes good stuff. If this looks like a good bang/buck, then get it. Use it. 

respecfully, this is not the case in all instances.  It SHOULD still work, but I have multiple instances where that is not hte case across multiple computers and I'm not the only person in the world that had this problem.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Yeah, I mine scans v9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.  Super annoying when the only one I still use is Sibilance and ClarityVX (both 13 or 14)

yes the scanning can be tedious :) - can you remove/rename the ones you are not using ?

1 hour ago, simon said:

yes the scanning can be tedious :) - can you remove/rename the ones you are not using ?

I'd have to do a full blown uninstall I think to make it work.  Last time I attempted that, it left the remains so it still scanned those shells even though nothing from those versions were "activated"

Likley not a problem on a new computer build but for one that has been used for years and seen multiple versions the uninstall was not nearly as clean as I'd want it to be.   There is also the concern that without WUP adjustments I make to it could break things and make them worthless (I have v9, v10, and v13 plguins that don't work already).  

I set the sytem up to only scan when I force it, but still WAVES always feels like a bottleneck even though I have a stupid amount of plugins.

8 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Quite a good price and almost tempting.. I know if I bought it and needed to move to a new OS/Machine, or require support, or anything and have to pay WUP I'd be kicking myself!

I really wish Waves would drop WUP. I don't think these would replace anything I have, but there are still a few in there I wouldn't minding messing around with.

You never have to WUP. I have gone several years at times. It just depends.  If your favorite plugins have had improvements and whether your bundle adds new plugins you want, go for it.

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I don't have a MAC.  

Your idea in theory is correct.  However, I've had old versions (and new versions) just stop working out of the blue at least 3 times over quite a few years of use.  Instead of doing WUP, I just let them die and found an alternative.

If you do not have them installed today, I'm not sure you can install v14 if there is already a compatiblity problem.  But generally speaking WAVES, in theory, says you can have multiple co-existig versions.

ClarityVX is the only plugin they make that I'll put on a project these days.

ClarityVX is phenomenal! You would have to try it for yourself to see what it does. I just did some video "Audio" editing for a high-end wedding videographer. She was amazed with the results and so was I! I also had to use Unveil and SPL De-Verb! The audio was a mess.

2 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

ClarityVX is phenomenal! You would have to try it for yourself to see what it does. I just did some video "Audio" editing for a high-end wedding videographer. She was amazed with the results and so was I! I also had to use Unveil and SPL De-Verb! The audio was a mess.

Yes, it is very handy for vocal work they why I said it is the only pluign they make that I'll use.  Everything else that is pretty comperable costs a lot more.