Apple Announces Mac Studio

cclarry

40 minutes ago, Zo said:

at least this one has a lot of ports ... Using Apple laptops with a hub : how does it works nowdays ? (back in day it was a suicide with usb , but with thunderbolt , this might work great , any feedback about that) 

I have a 2021 Macbook Pro and use a OWC Thunderbolt Hub.   Have a couple USB 2.0 devices plugged, Samsung Memory Stick/Waves License, iLok, Nektar 88+ Keyboard Controller, and in the Thunderbolt ports have 2, 2TB SSD External Storage devices for all my orchestral samples and Time Machine Backups.   The hub charges the laptop and provides all connectivity except Video, but my Macbook has an HDMI port so it doesn't matter.   I use this one from OWC, they aren’t cheap but add much convenience and zero issues.  https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB4DOCK/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuZ-Qwqmo9gIVBylMCh2wwwF_EAAYASAAEgIbXfD_BwE

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bapu said:

All righty then. 🙂 

Now I just need to scrape up the $7K for the machine.

59 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

I guess a month or two of not spending on plugins, and you’ll be good to go.

Wait..... I just remembered I have an Apple Credit Card burning a hole in my pocket (i.e. full line of credit available).

Oh yeah, my son-in-law works for Apple too. Maybe there is a decent discount to be had there.

Edited by Bapu
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I’m thinking laptops, which is where the M1 shines. Meanwhile the M1 Ultra smokes the desktop competition :)

And the new Mac Pro hasn’t even arrived yet!

M1 Ultra...   🤣

Like playing tetherball with dangling peripherals.

AMD and Intel are slugging it out for "workstation" superiority.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

M1 Ultra...   🤣

Like playing tetherball with dangling peripherals.

I agree, 5950x and 12900k sound more inspiring  😎

Sure must hurt to see Apple take the creative world by storm :) 

Don’t mind if AMD and Intel rule the accountancy segment ;)

2 hours ago, Zo said:

at least this one has a lot of ports ... Using Apple laptops with a hub : how does it works nowdays ? (back in day it was a suicide with usb , but with thunderbolt , this might work great , any feedback about that) 

It works great on Mbook M1 pro!

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, I'm quaking in my boots (and have been for nearly 30 years).

So... you want to add another M.2 SSD for your 3rd Samples drive?

PC user:  Adds first, second, and 3rd M.2 SSD internally.

Mac user:  Yeah, I'm gonna need three Thunderbolt enclosures for my M.2 SSDs.  🤣

"Taking The Creative World By Storm... one tether at a time... and with amazing performance... until you compare it to a real workstation."

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

I agree, 5950x and 12900k sound more inspiring  😎

Don’t mind if AMD and Intel rule the accountancy segment ;)

We are the smallest market on both sides of the aisle. 

• Haha 1

Thks guyz so you guyz valided the fact that using hub (big numbers of ports ) via thunderbolt is solid latency wise with no conflict ?

In a typical serial (usb) situation , latency was multiplied by the number of peripheral using it .... so sometime it could be chotic if a driver wasn't that solid and efficient ....

I'm considering this to be able to choose laptops with port ports position, exept lenovo (ports on back witch i love) sometime ports are to close to mouse posistion ect ....so a great hub could un clutter the desk really well (i used to use hp's docking station back then !)

As for my comment on boycott , it was just see the double standard ... boycotting apple will heart china in fact ;) 

PEace and Love guyz is the only way , and other is bulsshit , no matter the side you're in , i repeat  no matter the side you're in . War is already adefeat .

Back to OT 

@Fleer  did ya got the laptop or not yet ?

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

No, Zo, still hasn’t arrived. That’s almost four months now. Heck, had to wait for my son’s HP laptop for over a year. Crazy times. 

What ? a year for an HP ?  i would def cancel ...and go for in stock stuff.... What HP did he wanted ?

After using my Macbook Air for over a year, I think, led me to feel I need to save for bigger and better Mac.
The Ultra seems to be the perfect target. Not afraid of the asking price. I LOVE the Air.

Specially because of the CPU, that's what I was looking for.
(I got the Air because that was what was available at the moment,  not because I am dirty poor, lol).

With it I could use lots of guitar plugins, reverbs, compressors, you name it.

GPU? Well, if good games get to the Mac world, I would be ready with it, lol. 😇

26 minutes ago, Zo said:

What ? a year for an HP ?  i would def cancel ...and go for in stock stuff.... What HP did he wanted ?

Don’t even know which one. Some 17” G8 thing I wouldn’t touch with a 10 feet Russian ;)

He’s got it now and he’s happy :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Last Call said:

After using my Macbook Air for over a year, I think, led me to feel I need to save for bigger and better Mac.
The Ultra seems to be the perfect target. Not afraid of the asking price. I LOVE the Air.

Specially because of the CPU, that's what I was looking for.
(I got the Air because that was what was available at the moment,  not because I am dirty poor, lol).

With it I could use lots of guitar plugins, reverbs, compressors, you name it.

GPU? Well, if good games get to the Mac world, I would be ready with it, lol. 😇

Get the Max model with 64GB RAM and a 4TB SSD. More power than you’ll ever need and much quieter (cooler) than the Ultra. 

10 hours ago, Fleer said:

Sure must hurt to see Apple take the creative world by storm

I'm just pleased for Mac-using audio people who want to stay on their favorite platform. For years, they've watched as Apple seemed to lose interest in serving what had long been a faithful user base.

"We" as in people who do audio on our computers, may be a relatively small part of the market, but how many entire tech companies are there who do nothing but serve us? Every customer of Avid, Presonus, Focusrite, RME, MOTU, Ableton, Steinberg, Adobe, Native Instruments, and so on has had to decide what computer they're going to plug their interface into and run their DAW on.

How many computers are out there with people doing audio on them? Is it in the millions? How much money do Apple or Dell or HP or Acer or Asus get when someone buys one of their computers? Whatever it is, it seems like a decent bit of money up for grabs.

• Like 4