Apple Announces Mac Studio

cclarry

It needs at least 2 external hard dives (projects & samples) fully loaded Ultra $7K+ and I'd have to deal with getting my two 1st gen UAD Thunderbolt Octo a TB to TB4 adapter (which may not even exist today).

Mac Studio Pricing

• 64GB unified memory (M1 Max) starting at $1999
  • 128GB unified memory (M1 Ultra) starting $3999
  • 8TB SSD possible

A fully loaded Mac Studio Ultra with the following spec is $7999.

• Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine
  • 128GB unified memory
  • 8TB SSD storage
  • Front: Two Thunderbolt 4 ports, one SDXC card slot
  • Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Accessory Kit

The prices are pretty... unsurprising for Apple

Edited by antler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure if the performance really lines up with the claims, but if they're right that the GPU performance is broadly on par with a GeForce RTX 3090 that should be factored into the value equation... those GPUs are not cheap! 

I have the mac mini M1 16GB RAM 512GB SSD  and the performance is impresive, even for games. Which is more impresive is that even under full render load its temperature never goes over 35°C and it dead silent. I have a Dell i7 11th generation laptop that gets really hot and noisy when pushed a little and it nevers delivers half of the performance of the mac mini.

I can imagine how spectacular performance you will get with the specs of those Mac Studio. However I agree those machines are expensive and you must have serious processing power needs to be in a need for a computer like those. At least for me I am not yet able to reach 50% of workload in my M1 in Studio One with many dozens of tracks, 50+ plugins, some Virtual Instruments, Ozone 9 running in the master bus (!!!) and 32 samples buffer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig N said:

I'm not sure if the performance really lines up with the claims, but if they're right that the GPU performance is broadly on par with a GeForce RTX 3090 that should be factored into the value equation... those GPUs are not cheap! 

Remember early claims that the M1 would blow all other CPUs out of the water... including the 5950x and 12900k.  9_9

12900k and 5950x smoke the M1.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fleer said:

They smoke alright. Like a heatwave ;)

5950x and 12900k based DAWs can run both cool and extremely quiet.

All down to who's building/configuring...

12900k based machine (from which I'm writing this post) is currently running in the low 30s degrees Celcius.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

5950x and 12900k based DAWs can run both cool and extremely quiet.

All down to who's building/configuring...

12900k based machine (from which I'm writing this post) is currently running in the low 30s degrees Celcius.

I’m thinking laptops, which is where the M1 shines. Meanwhile the M1 Ultra smokes the desktop competition :)

And the new Mac Pro hasn’t even arrived yet!

Just now, Fleer said:

I’m thinking laptops, which is where the M1 shines. Meanwhile the M1 Ultra smokes the desktop competition :)

And the new Mac Pro hasn’t even arrived yet!

at least this one has a lot of ports ... Using Apple laptops with a hub : how does it works nowdays ? (back in day it was a suicide with usb , but with thunderbolt , this might work great , any feedback about that) 

6 minutes ago, Zo said:

at least this one has a lot of ports ... Using Apple laptops with a hub : how does it works nowdays ? (back in day it was a suicide with usb , but with thunderbolt , this might work great , any feedback about that) 

Those were the days :)

Their new MacBook Pro has ample ports. Luckily. 

• Thanks 1