Speaking of G.A.S.

kennywtelejazz

On 2/5/2022 at 5:10 PM, Shane_B. said:

That's exactly what I've been facing, word for word, for the last 10 years. It's basically over for us if you are beyond 35 and not locked in somewhere.

There is a factory I would love to work at about 20 minutes from me. Always has a giant banner across the fence of the front of the property. "HIRING. FULL TIME. PART TIME. APPLY ONLINE." It's been that way off and on for the 10 years I've lived here. They can't keep people there. I hounded them and they finally told me to stop calling. I have no record. Never been arrested. Never even been accused of anything. I haven't had a speeding ticket in going on 17 years. I've been in 2 accidents that weren't my fault. An old guy fell asleep driving and hit me and admitted it to the officer and a bus ran a stop sign and admitted to the officer. Yet I haven't even gotten a call back in years and I finally gave up after I was literally told to stop bothering them.

And people think I have it made because of my wife's job. 6 years of college, $100K of debt, over 250 job interviews over our 24 years together and 2 job offers. She has a Master's and 2 Bachelor's.

We got lucky with this cheap fixer upper house and if she can hold on till retirement and I can finish this place, this will be our retirement. If one thing falls out of place it's all gone.

I'm scared for you Craig. I'm not facing what you are right now but I'm one HR decision with her employer away from it. It's an unbearable amount of stress at times. It's why she volunteers to do things like go to job sites for a month at a time. The Hawaii thing was awesome, but she's also been sent to area's by herself in a tiny trailer where there's gang shootings every night.

I hope things pick up for you. Ever think of selling realestate? It seem to be where a lot of people are landing and I've been thinking about it myself.

Just thought I'd get my 2 cents IBTL ... 🙄

Shane, are you using job sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, Monster, and so on.  I was let go from my company as they downsized and placed my resume on indeed.com and one week later receive three interviews.  After two more weeks of interviews I was hired by this great company.  Keep in mind this is Philadelphia of course, but I was hired and I am 57.

On 2/4/2022 at 1:29 PM, Bapu said:

I don't need any more basses or guitars.

Until I do.

Yep. 

And I needed this one last week!!

Joe Bonamassa Epiphone '59 LP "Lazarus "

PSX_20220207_110823.thumb.jpg.90ec688c21e973b940c9d000be4593e6.jpg

• Great Idea 1

16 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Shane, are you using job sites like LinkedIn, Indeed, Monster, and so on.  I was let go from my company as they downsized and placed my resume on indeed.com and one week later receive three interviews.  After two more weeks of interviews I was hired by this great company.  Keep in mind this is Philadelphia of course, but I was hired and I am 57.

I thought WalMart* had a monopoly on senior hires.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jesse g said:

I'm really glad to hear that! I'm happy for you. At one point I did have everything on Indeed and I think Monster too, but that was a very long time ago the first time I was out of work up in IA when the company I worked for closed. I never got a single response. I eventually found a job from a tiny little ad in the paper but had to quit when my wife lost her job and we had to move to KC for her new job. The recession was still bad when we moved here and nobody was hiring in this area either. She was extremely lucky to find what she did and it's a great job. She interviewed at several places all over the country. I was really hoping she got one closer to NJ where I'm from but I knew in my gut she wouldn't. She loves it, her family is all down here, they love her, so here I sit ...

I have to stop thinking and talking about this. It's starting to bother me too much being reminded of it all and thinking about my situation. Like everyone else in the world, I'll either survive or I won't and there are people who have it far FAR worse than I do and I'm very thankful to be in the situation I am even though it should be better.

4 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Them and Lowe's do around here. There isn't a single person under the age of 25 working at places like Target or any of the fancier Wal-Mart type places. Home Depot is just depressing around here so I never ever go there anymore. I like Lowe's. They will work with you on pricing especially if you spend enough time there buying building materials and the workers get to know you. When I going through the lumber and getting stuff that's actually usable, I always restack everything nice and neat so the guys don't have to do it. I always leave it looking better than when I got there and they appreciate that I think. I got $105 dollars worth of flooring for a small remodel project I'm doing this weekend for $20 bucks. The boxes were marked damaged and I asked if they'd take $20 for both and he said ok. Got them home and only a couple were damaged and at the ends that will get cut off so it all worked out.

I have a gift for bargaining and selling. I should probably go in to some kind of sales. For example, this past summer, I sold almost $1,000 dollars worth of weeds. Seriously. I cut some cattails down around the pond the previous owners put in the back of our yard. I told my wife they were nice and I bet the home decor places around town would love them. She laughed at me, so I got mad and sealed a bunch of them so they wouldn't explode and drove in to town and just stopped in to talk to a few places. The first place I stopped bought 10 dozen from me. I used them as a reference and sold almost 1,000 of them to all the local flower shops. And they all want me to come back this fall. So there is money to be made and doing it yourself. You just have to think outside the box. It wasn't a lot of money but I felt so good knowing I found a little niche and actually brought in a little money. It made for great conversation with family calling myself a cattail farmer now that's for sure.

Edited by Shane_B.

On 2/7/2022 at 6:58 AM, Bapu said:

He's a spoiled little brat and will not share the stage with another from his tribe.

Can you blame him ? Have you seen his Tribe lately ?  

161111151825-wodaabe-tribe-gerewol.jpg

On 2/7/2022 at 9:11 AM, Grem said:

Yep. 

And I needed this one last week!!

Joe Bonamassa Epiphone '59 LP "Lazarus "

PSX_20220207_110823.thumb.jpg.90ec688c21e973b940c9d000be4593e6.jpg

That looks nice . Happy New Guitar Day !

On 2/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, 57Gregy said:

Yeah I heard that someplace . My plan is to get there early on Valentines  Day and find a new Bingo partner .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why are you adding the L or taking away the L from the word clock ?

What happened ???   Your Johnson Broke and you don't know what time it is ?

If that's the case,  please get well soon . You got until the 14 th to get back into commission and be fit for duty again :P

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 1