Speaking of G.A.S.

kennywtelejazz

1 hour ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hey Craig is this one of your current or former guitars ?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/vancouver-gorgeous-and-playable/7429278465.html

*Sigh...*  Ok, I'm busted!  😕

Which I guess makes sense since I'm also broke...  Yep.  I'm selling one of my custom guitars (the one in my avatar) to pay the back-rent I owe and survive for a few months until the complete BS going on in the world hopefully blows over.  The fires that wiped out five towns in Oregon and over 200 days of rioting along with the Draconian idiocy basically took out most of our clients (our main business was IT Consultancy).  One client burned to the ground, several were heavily damaged by the BLM/Antifa riots (for some, they couldn't get clients to go downtown because it wasn't safe and that included some of the top restaurants), and others had to pretty much shutter due to the moronic restrictions.  I picked up a couple of side-jobs, but now those are either gone or have nothing left for any employee to do. 

Unfortunately, it's tough selling anything right now.  I've had a lot of other items up for sale, but they either don't move or I have to almost give them away (I've literally given away well over $10k worth of stuff when I had to empty my storage unit!).

I've got a LOT of music-related books that are going up for sale soon (music theory, instrument learning, song theory, audio recording, mixing, studio design and a bunch of tab books).  I'd really love to sell the whole lot at once, but I'm all ears for the best way to move 'em!

The Government has screwed me nine ways from Sunday (instead of getting $430 back on last year's taxes they claimed I owed $770 which I had to pay first before I can fight it, then they dorked up my unemployment claim which they are STILL trying to get straightened out so I've received ZERO from that, plus I was literally been told at some interviews that I am too over-qualified, too old and, get this, "not dark enough" while trying to just get basic work - that last one actually came from Home Depot "off the record" of course! 🤬).  In the meantime, I've done a lot of training and I'm writing a full-featured Windows program (which includes an SQL Server database with over 40 tables) that will help me and my business partner trade in the market should THAT ever get back to moving!  YAY LIFE!  🙄

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, paulo said:

Perhaps you should have tried putting it on someone else's list....? 😊

Good point!  If it was a bass I could probably put it on Bapuslist, ya? 😁

Well, it IS on eBay too...  Not sure where else to try yet.

3 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Wait until you decide you want to have multiple guitars and bass's in groups of the same model with the only main difference being the color of the guitar/ bass or the pick ups and electronics .

I have 2 P-Basses. One white with black pickguard and roundwounds and hotter pickup. The other is black with white pickguard and flatwounds with std pickup.

• Great Idea 1

18 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I have 2 P-Basses. One white with black pickguard and roundwounds and hotter pickup. The other is black with white pickguard and flatwounds with std pickup.

no roundwoond / std pickup ?

no flatwoond /  hot pickup ?  

wait till Paula hears this...

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

All of the professionals in music seem to use less gear.  I've rarely seen them switch guitars.  Usually a guitar or bass player in an amateur band like to use a performance to show every instrument they have. 

I met a guy who had 13 tubas and that was after his wife made him get rid of 3 of them.

I don't play guitar much but I have 5 and 2 basses, 3 if you count the tuba. I have a clarinet I got from a pawn shop over a year ago and haven't tested it yet. I have to find my reeds.

If we only put the time in our musical abilities instead of forums or buying stuff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craigb said:

I was literally been told at some interviews that I am too over-qualified, too old and, get this, "not dark enough" while trying to just get basic work - that last one actually came from Home Depot "off the record" of course!

That's exactly what I've been facing, word for word, for the last 10 years. It's basically over for us if you are beyond 35 and not locked in somewhere.

There is a factory I would love to work at about 20 minutes from me. Always has a giant banner across the fence of the front of the property. "HIRING. FULL TIME. PART TIME. APPLY ONLINE." It's been that way off and on for the 10 years I've lived here. They can't keep people there. I hounded them and they finally told me to stop calling. I have no record. Never been arrested. Never even been accused of anything. I haven't had a speeding ticket in going on 17 years. I've been in 2 accidents that weren't my fault. An old guy fell asleep driving and hit me and admitted it to the officer and a bus ran a stop sign and admitted to the officer. Yet I haven't even gotten a call back in years and I finally gave up after I was literally told to stop bothering them.

And people think I have it made because of my wife's job. 6 years of college, $100K of debt, over 250 job interviews over our 24 years together and 2 job offers. She has a Master's and 2 Bachelor's.

We got lucky with this cheap fixer upper house and if she can hold on till retirement and I can finish this place, this will be our retirement. If one thing falls out of place it's all gone.

I'm scared for you Craig. I'm not facing what you are right now but I'm one HR decision with her employer away from it. It's an unbearable amount of stress at times. It's why she volunteers to do things like go to job sites for a month at a time. The Hawaii thing was awesome, but she's also been sent to area's by herself in a tiny trailer where there's gang shootings every night.

I hope things pick up for you. Ever think of selling realestate? It seem to be where a lot of people are landing and I've been thinking about it myself.

Just thought I'd get my 2 cents IBTL ... 🙄

On 2/5/2022 at 3:48 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

Hey Craig is this one of your current or former guitars ?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/d/vancouver-gorgeous-and-playable/7429278465.html

On 2/5/2022 at 5:58 AM, craigb said:

Yep.  I'm selling one of my custom guitars

I'm sorry to hear you have to do that . I hope you can get through to the other side and get ahead of it all .

I would have quoted your whole quote but then I would have gone on and on and on about my own personal tangent s on how tough things are out there .

I'm only allowing my self one 😉

I just about gave away my Marshall JMP 2100 Lead & Bass 2-Channel 50-Watt 2x12 combo to a shop a few weeks back and the next day they sold it for twice what they paid me .....

In spite of all that I feel a Freedom ....I guess If I ain't taking it with me I might as well see and hope it goes to a good place ....

Hang in there .

On 2/5/2022 at 6:41 AM, paulo said:

Perhaps you should have tried putting it on someone else's list....? 😊

Hhhhmmm lets try a few possibilities using a few of the people here ,

Paulo List 😃    Bapu List 😄      Strummer List 😅       Sheens List 😜     Kenny List 🤪   Notes Norton List 🤕  It seems none of these Lists sound like a good fit ..

OK One last one , Shanes List 🤣 Whoa that one has some girth and balls .....

Yeah I know that metaphor was corny but I had a good time letting it play out in my mind ...

On 2/5/2022 at 7:37 AM, Bapu said:

Congratulations on having a start yet please forgive me for asking this ....What only one Alembic ?

On 2/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, Paul Young said:

All of the professionals in music seem to use less gear.  I've rarely seen them switch guitars.

Which musicians are you talking about ? The Bands  that use 10 to 20 tractor trailers to get to each gig in a new town  or the players that can't afford to have a guitar tech in the wings tuning  and restringing the  guitars behind the scenes ...

Usually a guitar or bass player in an amateur band like to use a performance to show every instrument they have. 

Yeah that seems to be the typical MO  ...Also why do some of these dentists have to wear cargo shorts on stage when they are pretending to be Slumming It at The Local Blues Jam .

Anyway here's a real guitar player that brought 2 guitars to the gig 😛

If we only put the time in our musical abilities instead of forums or buying stuff.

I already have done that and I can tell you even if you do that your chops can become a use it or loose it type of thing ...It's sort of like being an athlete , while you are young and strong you can maintain it ...as your focus shifts and you delve into other areas the sharp blade looses the edge over time . Now it is entirely possible to go back and reach a comfortable plateau where you had a decent amount of command over your playing . The thing is that is like trying to go back and keep the creative energy frozen in a state .For a person to grow they need to accept and be grateful for what they do have now in any given moment of time no matter how much , little , or different that it is now compared to how it was then ...( I have literally forgotten how to play  decades worth of music I once could play effortlessly  ...now I would have to relearn it and practice it all over.   )

On 2/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, craigb said:

Wait...  NOW you tell us???  I should have learned that over 50 years ago!!! 😮

😜

I did then I found booze and drugs 🤪

On 2/5/2022 at 8:43 AM, Paul Young said:

It was easier 50 years ago.  Less distractions.

Ah Yes ! 1972 ...the girls were loose , the music was tight and everything was alright ..( or so it seemed )

On 2/5/2022 at 8:53 AM, Sheens said:

1 cheap bass and a bunch of (awesome) budget guitars. 

setups/fred work meself,  don't want to pay a loothier

Yep ...that can work !

On 2/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, Bapu said:

Mai teef ar lootier an loothier every year

Yeah mine are too and I may have to come up with a plan of action because I can't wear a mask forever ...

that it for now ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1