Does Steinberg (Cubase) hears the drumbeat?

Got the email today from Steinberg: "Save 30% on Cubase"

Are they hearing the drumbeat we don't?

I remember at the time of Gibson saga they were the first ones to "reach out" with friendly offers :) 

Bandlab, don't fall asleep, we are counting on you and the right decisions you will make on licensing and pricing.

• Like 4

In my experience the final of the all time most abysmal excuse for customer support football tournament would be a tense affair between Steinberg and NI. A close game as both have strong midfields that would cancel each other out and no real quality in front of goal. It would probably go to extra time and then penalties. The penalty shoot out would not finish as one of the teams would leave the pitch before it's conclusion, thus remarkably forfeiting and also winning the title at the same time.

Edited by paulo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

It's okay to build a bomb shelter but you don't have to live in it until the bombs go off.

Just, whatever you do, when the time comes......... don't forget to take the tin opener.

• Like 1

I’m a Steinberg customer and they have sent me promo emails since 2007 When I bought Wave lab. 
They always have sales throughout the year.

They could probably care less what is going on with Cakewalk/ Sonar because my guess is most of their users are on Macs.  

Cubase is definitely at the top of my “other DAW “ list because I think it’s the closest workflow and features. I own Cubase elements 7. So I can upgrade to Artist for a very reasonable price with  my discount. 
I have the demo of The full version installed and they give you 2 months free. So you have zero to loose to find out for yourself. 
Just don’t bother with the user forum it sucks. I’ve never needed support from them so can’t comment on that. 
Very good tutorials and solid stuff as far as I’ve experienced over my long time with them. 
I just like Cakewalk better. 
This video I just released shows you the options. It was pointed out that I missed Waveform. But I’m working on a video about free DAWS so I’ll include it in that one. 
https://youtu.be/6rG1PjJgcFg?si=Yvi3EKi7QNhQ-7_F

• Like 2

John, 

Nice run through! I looked into Mixcraft myself long time ago and rediscovered it last year. It was probably the closest to the workflow that I like, but Cubase of course is feature packed. Bitwig is interesting too, but has a lot of shortcomings.  However, Sonar will definitely be my choice #1, if proper license(s) are offered. It has several items that no DAW that I know of has, that are important to me. Plus a great knowledgeable  & helpful community. I learned about half of the things I know about DAWs here :)    

• Like 2

I just spent 2 hours with Mixcraft using it for the very first time. I have yet cracked the manual. 
I created  a drum loop dragged it out with out issues.  I added my guitar- I quickly edited a few bloopers. I even used Melodyne which seems to work better here.  I recorded bass, converting it to midi and just finished editing it. If it had a smart tool I’d be happier but you quickly get used to shot cuts. The thing that makes this work is everything is clearly labeled and intuitive. 
Not bad at all for a super low price ( it’s on sale) 

I too am planning on carrying on with Sonar but have definitely decided I will not Lease it. And I now have a general idea of what prices are offered by the competition. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

23 minutes ago, Misha said:

Plus a great knowledgeable  & helpful community. I learned about half of the things I know about DAWs here

Yes. I just realized I should have made that # 18- Does this software have a good user forum. It’s certainly important to me. 
I haven’t logged into the Steinberg forum for a few years but last time I did I never got an answer to a simple question. If you use Elements you are not allowed to post in the main forum. 
I see lots of people still post here even though they switched to Studio one. 

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

I just spent 2 hours with Mixcraft using it for the very first time.

I still keep my Mixcraft license current. I was a beta tester for the product before I mostly switched to CbB. At the time, Mixcraft was still lagging behind CbB as far as features, and CbB's mixer was love at first sight.

It's straightforward and a great DAW for someone just starting with DAW's. Their commitment to shipping a quality bug-free product is amazing. Good forum, too.

Given how much Mixcraft has caught up to the industry leaders, I see it as pretty close competition for Sonar. It has had some slick features that Sonar lacks for quite some time now, most notably the integrated samplers. Their Performance Panel is also better integrated than Matrix, allows for direct recording to cells, etc. Every plug-in gets a little meter that helps a lot with effect gain staging. Routing a MIDI track to multiple Vi's is dead easy.

AFAIK, though, there's still no way to collapse take lanes, so if you're a multiple take monster, things can get cluttered pretty quickly. And the mixer, while it's made strides, is still no match for Console.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Misha said:

Got the email today from Steinberg: "Save 30% on Cubase"

Are they hearing the drumbeat we don't?

I remember at the time of Gibson saga they were the first ones to "reach out" with friendly offers :) 

Bandlab, don't fall asleep, we are counting on you and the right decisions you will make on licensing and pricing.

Least we forget that Bandlab has been giving us SONAR Rebranded with EXCELLANT support and very useful and thought-out workflow improvements since they took over back in 2018 FOR FREE. I don't see them taking advantage of us to be much of a problem..  🤔 Especially considering that CbB will continue to work on your computer unsupported, just like SONAR still continues works on your computer unsupported. SONAR Platinum still works great & extremely STABLE on my computer even though it hasn't been updated since Bandlab took over. I still use SPLAT frequently to open & work on older projects, before saving them to updated revisions in CbB. I have to keep SPLAT on my computer anyway because I have LOTS of GREAT 3rd party plugins registered to it, I PAID for LOTS of extra ProChannel modules & plugins that aren't included in CbB that I really wouldn't want to live without. 👍👍 Rapture Pro is much more stable running in SPLAT, not so much in CbB, but unfortunately it has been discontinued, but that's not too much of a problem because I still have Dimension Pro & Rapture installed and everything else does in fact work great in CbB. 

That would be a MAJOR PROBLEM for Cubase because they drop support for older software, and no longer support VST2.😵 So if you are a fan of Cubase and Waves™ plugins, you better be keeping an eye out for Waves plugin update/support deals. They are very reasonable and ultimately affordable, more so for us peeps using a free version of CbB.. However, even though I highly recommend doing so, if ya use CbB, you DON'T HAVE TO UPGRADE your Waves™ plugins because just because Waves will no longer support and improve functionality of their FX plugins without paying a nominal service charge, they still guarantee that they will WORK. But they can't guarantee that Steinberg won't allow them to. 

That being said, I found to be true over and under the course of 30 years or so that Cakewalk has always been approx. at least 30% cheaper than Cubase.... And approximately 50% more stable & POWERFUL, least we forget much more user friendly, what with being backwards compatible, TIMELY SUPPORT, and those little things like being forced to upgrade all your VST, VST2 FX plugins for the new latest & greatest Cubase version release. 😒

Another thing I've curiously observed over the decades is that's always given me fits of the "chuckles" is, Cubase users can always come to the Cakewalk Forums & HERE to the CbB Forums to discuss and find working solutions for Cubase, or any other software for that matter, FASTER and in a very courteous and timely manner from some of the friendliest, knowledgeable Cakewalk power users in any and all tech forums you can find anywhere.

OK sure, to be fair, our CbB user forum gets invaded by it's fair ***** clowns who can't tell the difference between a tech site built upon empirical & scientific Audio/MIDI facts and truths are greatly appreciated, compared to a social media website where 'opinions' & 'beliefs' rule the house for 'winning' some kind of 'competition' normal honest peeps never even wanted to get involved in, and facts and truths get so buried under the blur of the sheer numbers of likes & thumbs ups by likeminded 'fans' &'friends' whom most likely don't even, nor ever will, know their real names, personally meet, or actually, in the real world, really like or know each other. 😜

And just so you know, I am NOT a Steinberg or Cubase hater. I still use their SpectraLayers Pro. But I've been using it before they appropriated it from MAGIX who appropriated it from SONY Software Division who actually created it. And I'm a fairly big fan of using Cubasis in my iPhone. It's a lot of fun for about an hour with  2 dynamic mics, about a 1/2 hour using 1 condenser mic requiring phantom power, wired to a battery powered IK Multimedia iRig Pro Duo audio/MIDI interface with it. 😉 👍👍 10-15 minutes using a Universal Audio Volt 476.👎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

I just spent 2 hours with Mixcraft using it for the very first time. I have yet cracked the manual. 
I created  a drum loop dragged it out with out issues.  I added my guitar- I quickly edited a few bloopers. I even used Melodyne which seems to work better here.  I recorded bass, converting it to midi and just finished editing it. If it had a smart tool I’d be happier but you quickly get used to shot cuts. The thing that makes this work is everything is clearly labeled and intuitive. 
Not bad at all for a super low price ( it’s on sale) 

I too am planning on carrying on with Sonar but have definitely decided I will not Lease it. And I now have a general idea of what prices are offered by the competition. 

Hey John, How's mixcraft on cpu?  Any idea on studio one? I'm just looking to keep my options open.

FWIW, Cakewalk is one of the few programs whose MPE implementation handles MIDI guitars with MPE mode (Zivix Jamstik), not just Mono and Poly modes. This is essential for using MIDI guitar with multitimbral instruments.

I know, I know...I'm probably the only person here who cares about this. But it's an example of Cakewalk being on top of some things that are missing from other DAWs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig Anderton said:

FWIW, Cakewalk is one of the few programs whose MPE implementation handles MIDI guitars with MPE mode (Zivix Jamstik), not just Mono and Poly modes. This is essential for using MIDI guitar with multitimbral instruments.

I know, I know...I'm probably the only person here who cares about this. But it's an example of Cakewalk being on top of some things that are missing from other DAWs.

And, this is why I'm interested in the current development. There was a time when Cakewalk was ahead of everyone else when it came to just about everything. Looking forward to what they bring to the table in the future.

45 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Talking about promos, bandlab has 30% off membership including backstage pass that includes both Sonar and Next for 104.99 for the first year.

It doesn't get any better than that for pricing.

Hi there Noel.

I know the bakers are still working on the final pricing for everything, but I was wondering if you can 'Whisper' maybe that for us musicians that don't want the backstage pass that Sonar will be sold separately??

Thanks...