Does Steinberg (Cubase) hears the drumbeat?

41 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yes there are plans to have purchase options outside of backstage pass which was intended to be the quickest way to get it right now.

When details of it are known it will be announced.

Thank you Noel, so much...

Edited by Einstein R
  • Like 1

Here’s what I’m pondering after seeing what other DAWS cost. 
The 2 that seem the closest to Cakewalk are

Studio one $500 can

Cubase- $750 can.

Sonar possibility will  be priced similarly. 

A lot depends on upgrade pricing down the road. In a few years Sonar will possibly need a major update and with out knowing what those will cost me I’m then gambling which payment method will work out the best over the next 10 years!  Hmm! 

Pay upfront $400-?  
Plus upgrade costs? This is the normal cost of using a DAW and you can ignore the upgrades if you choose. In other words I have control over the cost of this DAW for a long time. Hopefully this version will not require constant re activation. That will be a huge negative. 

Pay for membership $142 can? 

Pros’s this will probably give you unlimited upgrades. I can afford it right now and get back to work for a year with peace of mind. I can change my mind later and cancel. I will have Next as a cute toy I never use. I can use Bandlab as a music delivery platform?!?!

Cons- This is a sale and I have no guarantee of what this membership will cost 1 year from now. ??$200?? It will / could exceed the full price of Sonar within 3 or more years. This will require constant internet activation.

My first reaction to this is I  feel they are totally holding off on announcing the pricing because Bandlab is pushing Memberships on us.  Why the sudden sale price after a few weeks?  Not enough people took the annual fee bait?? 

Just me. 
But dang it’s tempting! My hands on my credit card and it’s shaking!! 

Why can’t life be simple! 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, John Vere said:

My hands on my credit card and it’s shaking!! 

Drink cold water, it will pass.

----

In my experience, all NEW software has a special introductory price.  I think Cakewalk/Sonar is not going to be different. If you take a median price of "pro" DAWs, do the math + introductory discount.... and counter in competition, my guess different tiers of Sonar (excluding subscription) will range from $100 - $300. After promotional period price will likely increase.

Place your bets :)

----

It would be fun if Bandlab ran a "Price Is Right" campaign. First 3 winners who are closest would get a discount voucher :)

Edited by Misha
  • Like 1

FWIW, when subscriptions first started appearing I did an analysis of outright purchase + paying for updates compared to subscription costs. After several years, it turned out to be more or less the same because updates were less expensive than an initial purchase.

The main advantage of a subscription was you had new features immediately instead of having them rolled into an update for which you had to pay. So, a lot of the decision-making process involves how often a company updates their software, and whether you need those updates. Cakewalk has a very good track record in that respect compared to, for example, Pro Tools.

• Like 2

As I said before, I panicked when Gibson pulled the plug. This time I shall wait till the dust settles and then determine which way I go as far as a DAW. I 'm just a hobbyist so most of the DAW's I have now would be fine for the little I do anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

Hopefully this version will not require constant re activation. That will be a huge negative.

I totally agree it would be a huge negative! If this will be true for upfront payment, then I am out!

3 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

FWIW, when subscriptions first started appearing I did an analysis of outright purchase + paying for updates compared to subscription costs. After several years, it turned out to be more or less the same because updates were less expensive than an initial purchase.

The main advantage of a subscription was you had new features immediately instead of having them rolled into an update for which you had to pay. So, a lot of the decision-making process involves how often a company updates their software, and whether you need those updates. Cakewalk has a very good track record in that respect compared to, for example, Pro Tools.

The cost comparison of sub vs. purchase is one thing. But the fact that with a cancelled subscription you lose all vs. with a purchase you may still have your last version usable is the crucial argument! But YMMV!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CSistine said:

But the fact that with a cancelled subscription you lose all

I could be wrong, but from what I understood you would still keep whatever version you were up to on your last completed 12 month payment cycle, be that Monthly payments or Yearly payments.

Lots of good questions here.  I think the question about the usability of he software after a subscription expires is a really good one.   What about now?  If someone pays for the bandlab membership today, gets Sonar, and then cancels the bandlab membership, does Sonar still allow saving, etc?

I know with Adobe Pro, if I stop paying my monthly rate, I can no longer use it.  But somehow I do not think a DAW with projects that go on for years for various reasons,  can be considered akin to Adobe pro.  

At some reasonable point of payment(s), the product needs to be able to be fully usable without paying more money.

Otherwise, people are going to start exporting their projects in a way that other DAWS can read them, etc., and then start using the other DAW that does not require "renewals" to operate.   There is no sense saving it solely in a format that may not be available later.  This can lead to a lose-lose.

If someone knows the best way to address these concerns where someone at Bandlab is open to hearing them, I hope a link gets posted for that.

6 hours ago, Heath Row said:

I could be wrong, but from what I understood you would still keep whatever version you were up to on your last completed 12 month payment cycle, be that Monthly payments or Yearly payments.

"... you would still keep ...": Even if this was true, then there is still the question would you be able to move it to a new system (replacement)? Or would you be able to reactivate, if your system was changed (hardware and/or Windows update)?

If my presumption is correct, and I'm just going on what has been discussed previously, I believe so to all your situations, I'm thinking it would be similar to the SONAR Platinum Membership/Subscription whatever, as has been discussed by the powers that be in various threads earlier. But of course it's all in the future yet, so in the words of Doris Day

Qué será, será
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Qué será, será
What will be, will be

Edited by Heath Row
Formatting

On 3/28/2024 at 8:25 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Talking about promos, bandlab has 30% off membership including backstage pass that includes both Sonar and Next for 104.99 for the first year.

It doesn't get any better than that for pricing.

Where can I get more information on this promotion?  I am interested in stopping my new monthly membership and converting to the yearly membership until the DAW pricing is settled. Surprisingly, I haven't seen any links to it anywhere! 

Thanks

- Steve

@DeeringAmps Thanks Tom! I cancelled but it's still active until 4/20 so as of right now unable to convert to the yearly plan - but I did submit a support request, we'll see what happens with that :)

Glad to see your FW-1884 still in action! Great bit of machinery. I finally gave in and went Softube's route for control.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:25 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Talking about promos, bandlab has 30% off membership including backstage pass that includes both Sonar and Next for 104.99 for the first year.

It doesn't get any better than that for pricing.

Matthew 13:9

8 hours ago, Steve Thompson said:

I cancelled but it's still active until 4/20 so as of right now unable to convert to the yearly plan

That’s disappointing! I have a similar support ticket (MEMFIFTY) in. Their solution was “cancel your current subscription, then re-subscribe”. It’s troubling that you just can’t convert, or add additional time. Groove3 and TrueFire are good examples; they run a “sale”, you buy in and your subscription is extended. Simple! I mentioned, in no uncertain terms, that “marketing” is NOT BandLab’s forte. (all while assuring them I am/was trying to help; sometimes “tough love” is the only “true” love)

The sale ends on the sixth, my subscription ends the eighth. Looks like both of us are SOL if BL can’t get its sh*t together. “The plot sickens”. How many more will “bail” and move on to StudioOne?

The clock is ticking…

t

On 3/28/2024 at 3:03 PM, CSistine said:

But the fact that with a cancelled subscription you lose all vs. with a purchase you may still have your last version usable is the crucial argument! But YMMV!

It depends on the company. But there are also niche reasons for subscriptions, like collaborating on a project where you don't share the same software. You can subscribe for just long enough to complete the project. For example, you can buy a perpetual license for Pro Tools Artist. Then you work on a project with someone who uses Pro Tools Studio, and uses features you don't have. You subscribe to Studio for a month or two, and then drop the subscription when the project is done. 

I believe companies that offer perpetual and subscription options will always have the best model. A big advantage of that model is you can subscribe for a year, but if you find you really love a program, then you can buy a perpetual version. 

The sense I get from people is that they'll refuse to buy a subscription if it's the only option available. Hey, I'm still using GIMP instead of Photoshop :). Paradoxically, I think more people would buy subscriptions if perpetual licenses were also available, because then they'd have a safety ned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

That’s disappointing! I have a similar support ticket (MEMFIFTY) in. Their solution was “cancel your current subscription, then re-subscribe”. It’s troubling that you just can’t convert, or add additional time. Groove3 and TrueFire are good examples; they run a “sale”, you buy in and your subscription is extended. Simple! I mentioned, in no uncertain terms, that “marketing” is NOT BandLab’s forte. (all while assuring them I am/was trying to help; sometimes “tough love” is the only “true” love)

The sale ends on the sixth, my subscription ends the eighth. Looks like both of us are SOL if BL can’t get its sh*t together. “The plot sickens”. How many more will “bail” and move on to StudioOne?

The clock is ticking…

t

Shoot. Just open another account and get the perp. 😁

Edited by 57Gregy
Added smiley.
  • Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, Steve Thompson said:

@DeeringAmps Thanks Tom! I cancelled but it's still active until 4/20 so as of right now unable to convert to the yearly plan - but I did submit a support request, we'll see what happens with that :)

Glad to see your FW-1884 still in action! Great bit of machinery. I finally gave in and went Softube's route for control.

Same here.  I cancelled it but because it’s still valid until 4/6 I can’t get the yearly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

I cancelled it but because it’s still valid until 4/6 I can’t get the yearly

Submit a support request to BandLab. I say this knowing that when I did exactly that, after trying to use their MEMFIFTY offer (50% off one month of BackStage Pass), it was suggested that all I need do was "cancel", then re-subscribe and enter the MEMFIFTY "coupon".
Haven't done that yet, good thing as I would prefer the 30% offer, but not a "good thing", as it appears that since my subscription is good thru the 8th I'll be SOL.

As I said above, Marketing? at BandLab? not so good...
If I was "in charge", it would be time to "clean house" down in the marketing department; pitiful!
(and bear in mind, I'm a FAN; of the software, and Noel et al)

t

UPDATE: No surprise here! Same result as @Greg Wynn experienced. 
I updated my "support" (really?) ticket with BandLab.
Again, I'll keep Y'all "in the loop".......

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1