IK Release ARC 4 and ARC 4 Studio

cclarry

41 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

I have ARC 3 with the mic.  When I log in and check my upgrade price to got to the hardware option it lists $249.99.  Does this sound about right?

I am not interested in ARC4, but I did look at the  upgrade prices.  Just checked again. 

• Here are the prices I see using the Versions Tab:
    • ARC 4
      • $150
    • ARC4 - Software Only
      • $100
    • ARC Studio
      • $300
    • ARC Studio Upgrade
      • $250

This is with several ARC 3 software only licenses.

• Here are the prices I see using the Versions Tab after logging out of my account:
    • ARC 4
      • $200
    • ARC4 - Software Only
      • $150
    • ARC Studio
      • $300
    • ARC Studio Upgrade
      • $250
Edited by User 905133
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

I use Element all the time but never thought to use it with ARC. I use it to build VST chains and use loopback in RME's TotalMix FX to track and record with any plugin in real time.

Great idea! I'd be REALLY interested to hear if you get this working! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mibby said:

Great idea! I'd be REALLY interested to hear if you get this working! 

I just tried it and it works great with Sonarworks. I don't have a current calibration profile for ARC3 so it wouldn't load but it works as expected with Sonarworks. TotalMix lets me route anything to anything so I use an unused MADI I/O with loopback.

Edited by Tommy Byrnes
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

I just tried it and it works great with Sonarworks. I don't have a current calibration profile for ARC3 so it wouldn't load but it works as expected with Sonarworks. ...

Thanks for checking!  I would LOVE to use the calibrated EQ from ARC3, but if I can't use it when referencing other mixes outside my DAW, it's pointless.  Actually, it's worse than pointless because I'm not listening to my mix the same way I'm listening to the reference.

1 hour ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

... TotalMix lets me route anything to anything so I use an unused MADI I/O with loopback.

That's nice! Unfortunately I don't have this option. 

50 minutes ago, mibby said:

Thanks for checking!  I would LOVE to use the calibrated EQ from ARC3, but if I can't use it when referencing other mixes outside my DAW, it's pointless.  Actually, it's worse than pointless because I'm not listening to my mix the same way I'm listening to the reference.

That's nice! Unfortunately I don't have this option. 

Do you have an interface with loopback? Although I haven't tried it I imagine it would work. I have a MOTU M2 with  loopback so now I'm wondering if it would work with it as well. I don't have time today but I'll give it a bash and report back.

38 minutes ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

Do you have an interface with loopback? Although I haven't tried it I imagine it would work. I have a MOTU M2 with  loopback so now I'm wondering if it would work with it as well. I don't have time today but I'll give it a bash and report back.

Hmmmm...  I'm on Windows and I've recently updated to an Apollo Twin and I'm still learning about the interface.  I'd need to be able to "host" the Arc3 plugin in the Console, right?  I think I can only use UAD plugins on the Console.

2 minutes ago, mibby said:

Hmmmm...  I'm on Windows and I've recently updated to an Apollo Twin and I'm still learning about the interface.  I'd need to be able to "host" the Arc3 plugin in the Console, right?  I think I can only use UAD plugins on the Console.

I know there are Virtual channels in Console. Maybe there's a way to do it using them?

• Like 1

Mibby, when using the Console app with Apollo in Windows, when you send the daw signal to the Apollo, it goes to the apollo, not through Console. As Tommy has pointed out, there are virtual channels that allow you to send things different places.

What I do when using ARC is place it in a fx bin of a buss in my DAW (CbB) set it's input to get signal from my Main buss, and then send the output of the Arc Buss to Apollo (UAD Monitor S).

All trks >>Main Buss>>Arc Buss>>Apollo.

HTH

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grem said:

All trks >>Main Buss>>Arc Buss>>

RME UFX (here)

that’s “best practice”

BTW, that “MainBuss” or MASTER as I label it, is what is used for all exports.

That way you don’t have to remember to bypass ARC.

t

• Like 1

Turning off room correction before bounce, for me, is just muscle memory. It's like forgetting to hit the record button and the artist wants to murder me after missing a perfect take. Lesson learned quickly!

I think the Studio box is a good solution for studios with one set of monitors and an interface with comparable A/D/A specs. For me, it's not a viable option as I have multiple monitors and a live room with listen-back speakers. I use an Audient Nero as my central monitor station and it's one of the best studio purchases I've ever made. Amazing little box, really.

I also bought the RME UFX3, in part, because of the converters. It sounds amazing. For me, I think the box would be a downgrade.

I'm not sure I'll upgrade to ARC4, personally. Though I have both, I prefer Sonarworks to ARC3 in my studio as I think it gives me a more accurate picture of the low end in my room.  And, with the cans profiles I can use it with cue mixes. I just have to remember not to be an idiot and turn off the correction!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

With the ARC studio hardware you no longer need to bypass the ARC software as it is only in the signal path to your monitors it is not in the mix path.

And  that's why I ordered it.
I don't need to add any plugins or forget to switch them off when bouncing 🙂
I can also hear everything at calibration level,  YouTube Spotify Bluetooth etc.
I was looking to get the Trinnov...  but I don't need that now.  🙂

I believe this will sell a lot of product for them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

RME UFX (here)

that’s “best practice”

BTW, that “MainBuss” or MASTER as I label it, is what is used for all exports.

That way you don’t have to remember to bypass ARC.

t

That's how I do it, sort of. All tracks and AUXs come into the SubMix, where all the bus processing is. That feeds the Master, which has meters and HP sends (after 2-bus effects, before correction), which feeds the ARC bus, where the correction plugins are. That outputs to my mains. When exporting, I just turn off the FX bin on the ARC bus.

routing.PNG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grem said:

Mibby, when using the Console app with Apollo in Windows, when you send the daw signal to the Apollo, it goes to the apollo, not through Console. As Tommy has pointed out, there are virtual channels that allow you to send things different places.

What I do when using ARC is place it in a fx bin of a buss in my DAW (CbB) set it's input to get signal from my Main buss, and then send the output of the Arc Buss to Apollo (UAD Monitor S).

All trks >>Main Buss>>Arc Buss>>Apollo.

HTH

@Grem - yeah, I know I can do this, but I was hoping for a "system wide" solution so I can reference from Tidal or YouTube with my corrected EQ in place.  After going down the rabbit hole yesterday trying to figure this out, it looks like my Windows USB Apollo does NOT have the I/O Routing Matrix that makes this possible with the UAD interfaces.  I have a question on their forum about it, but I think I'm "done".  Thanks though!

I just have to remember not to be an idiot and turn off the correction!

^^^ This ^^^ is what I would inevitably do and what I was trying to avoid.  :)

I think the Studio box is a good solution for studios with one set of monitors and an interface with comparable A/D/A specs. For me, it's not a viable option as I have multiple monitors and a live room with listen-back speakers.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/arcstudio/?pkey=arc-studio-versions

From that page: You can create a profile for every configuration, listening position or even monitor pair. Whether you’re in a makeshift studio or a world-class one, fine-tuning your monitoring to your taste has never been easier and has never sounded so good.

You can set up profiles for each speaker system.  But I guess if you have them all running a the same time...  On the other hand, it's really only when you're mixing that you need the correction, so maybe you could use it for your control room?

1 hour ago, garybrun said:

I was looking to get the Trinnov...  but I don't need that now. 

YES!!!!  This would be ideal, but waaaay out of my price range.  And yes, it makes sense that IK is targeting those of us who can't afford something like the Trinnov system.  I do feel that IK is missing an opportunity by not competing with Sonarworks on the system wide software solution.  What's the advantage of a hardware box if it can be done with software?

2 hours ago, mibby said:

I know I can do this, but I was hoping for a "system wide" solution so I can reference from Tidal or YouTube with my corrected EQ in place.

Not sure if this goes towards what you're looking for, but it might help

https://ddmf.eu/virtual-audio-stream/

If I understand correctly, feed your browser to its effects rack, put your corrective software on the rack, and output to your speakers.