Happy New Year to all...and a question

Although it's with trepidation I do so, here's wishing everyone  a better, happier and, most importantly, a more rational new year.  I'm not around here that much anymore but I do miss the camaraderie of the old days. So kick out the jams ifn ya can this year.  

Also...I posted this in the main forum but I always think I'll get a better response here at the CH...recently after updating a few plugins I noticed that the VST3 versions were not showing up in the scan even though properly installed.  The VST2 versions were there and work fine but the VST3 versions are not.  Is there some new VST3 version out now thay Cake doesn't recognize or any other possible cause for this?  And ... any fix??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Patrick said:

Although it's with trepidation I do so, here's wishing everyone  a better, happier and, most importantly, a more rational new year.  I'm not around here that much anymore but I do miss the camaraderie of the old days. So kick out the jams ifn ya can this year.  

Also...I posted this in the main forum but I always think I'll get a better response here at the CH...recently after updating a few plugins I noticed that the VST3 versions were not showing up in the scan even though properly installed.  The VST2 versions were there and work fine but the VST3 versions are not.  Is there some new VST3 version out now thay Cake doesn't recognize or any other possible cause for this?  And ... any fix??

This is the only thing I can think of, myolpal.

image.png.3b5b251f76fc206d4429f47248a5af0c.png

Always good to hear from you, ol' pal. Even ex-Pats should send a postcard home once in awhile. 

VST3 was supposed to end the old "where's the DLL?" game by always placing them in the same spot. DAWs, in order to claim VST3 compatibility, had to include that location in their scans by default. 

However, DAW compliance is only half the contract. Vendors' installation programs also have to respect the convention. Most do; however, they usually don't force the VST3 location and let the user specify any path they like. Consequently, VST3 versions can be found all over the place. And because subsequent updates usually honor their previous settings, a mistake dating back to the early days of VST3 can be propagated for years.

I'd suggest figuring out the file names of the missing VST3s and running a search to find any that aren't in the standard VST3 folder nor another folder that's in the scan path list. From a DOS window, type the following:

c:

cd \

dir *.vst3 /s > vst3.txt & notepad vst3.txt

• Great Idea 1

I dicovered I had the same problem just last night.

c:\program file\common files\vst3 is in the cakewalk search path as Bapu has shown and the missing plugins are there yet are not to be found in the cake plugin list no matter how many times I scan.

Latest Cakewalk By Bandlab

Edited by bitman

1 hour ago, bitman said:

I dicovered I had the same problem just last night.

c:\program file\common files\vst3 is in the cakewalk search path as Bapu has shown and the missing plugins are there yet are not to be found in the cake plugin list no matter how many times I scan.

Did you try a reset then scan?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Yes I did a reset and scan. No love.  The missing VST3s are all in the common files folder as they should be but don't scan.

One...the new G-Force M-Tron has a weird suffix...not "dll" which I figure is it's problem.  But the new Fab Filter L2 upgrade has the usual .dll suffix but still doesn't scan.

And...yup, I miss you loveable lugs and should get back to hanging around more...maybe a New Year's Resolution?

23 minutes ago, Steve Patrick said:

The missing VST3s are all in the common files folder as they should be but don't scan.

One...the new G-Force M-Tron has a weird suffix...not "dll" which I figure is it's problem.  But the new Fab Filter L2 upgrade has the usual . dll suffix but still doesn't scan.

VST3 plugins have the file extension "vst3" and not "dll". DLL files placed in the Common Files\VST3 folder are by design not scanned by CbB, as they potentially are VST2 plugins. Maybe what you believe are VST3 plugins in fact are VST2?

Just my two cents.

Edited by Canopus

Did you create the file I suggested above? If so, post it, along with a screenshot of your scan paths and the names of the VST3 plugins that aren't showing up in the DAW. I'll bet we can figure out what's going on from that information.

Another possibility not mentioned thus far is that the plugins aren't showing up because they failed their scan. This can happen if there is a missing file dependency or insufficient Windows permissions.

You can determine which plugins failed to scan via a scan log. In Preferences, go to the VST page, check the "generate scan log" option, then click "Reset", then click "Scan". After the scan completes, the log file will be %appdata%\cakewalk\logs\VstScan.log.

scanlog.png.86cca8d98db29a08115c9523147d7c0d.png

(Reset wipes out all current registrations, forcing the scanner to hit every DLL it finds.)

4 hours ago, Steve Patrick said:

the new G-Force M-Tron has a weird suffix...not "dll" which I figure is it's problem.  But the new Fab Filter L2 upgrade has the usual .dll suffix but still doesn't scan.

vst2 has .dll extension, vst3 has .vst3 extension /goodluck

Recommend reinstalling the plugin next. It is possible you got a bad installation, so the registry entries required to validate the plugins are not present. The scan usually runs slow enough that you can read what it is scanning, so if that pops up on the toast message, but doesn't show up in the FX list in the CbB browser afterwards, then it didn't pass muster on scan for some reason.

Well this is very surreal. I've been away for years and when I have a peek, there's our Ol'Pal having a look in. I used to have the username Ampfixer.

Why was I not surprised to see that once again this DAW is changing its name and the rules for ownership. All of you are kinder and more understanding than I am.

All the best and a very Happy New Year. 

Ol Pal, this is what the FabFilter VST3 folder look like on my rig. 
You had mentioned that maybe yours had the dll extension.
As mentioned by several above the Program Files>Common Files>VST3 folder should only contain .vst3 extensions.

ffvst3.jpg.2edbc29350af9e79f19fa3cb433a276c.jpg

I use sub folders in the VST3 folder YMMV.
All the FabFilter plugs are working fine here...

HTH,

t

Yup Tom,  I know that VST3s have the vst3 suffix.  And the Pro-L2 is right there in the common files vst3 folder correctly.  But no love after several scans and a re-install.  But the VST2 works fine so no real harm...no foul.

• Like 1

That is a really odd one, and the only other internal thing that comes to mind is if they show up in the Plugin Manager. I have very rarely tweaked things in that, and am wondering if tweaking folder layouts can cause such. But, there is still the question if it is a Windows issue or CbB itself. Any DAW (free or demo) that can use VST3s would be a quick way to check. If they do not show up in that either, then Windows is having the issue. With the VST2s working, it is certainly not paramount to run to ground, but it sure is baffling.