Cakewalk Sonar Beta sign-ups

Quinellipe Zorn

I saw that people here referenced that there's now a Cakewalk Sonar Beta, and I see it mentions that at https://www.cakewalk.com/sonar/  

Did anyone who signed up months ago for news on Sonar get any notice about the beta, or did Cakewalk just put that up on the website independently without notifying anyone from that list?

I signed up for the beta (again?), as I don't know what's going on with that list, never heard anything and suddenly this beta program, and I noticed also in signing up for it that there were several questions, unlike when I signed up for news months ago.  

So I wonder if signing up for news didn't "matter" for the beta process, and one has to sign up again if one wants to be involved in the beta, as I did to be safe?  Does anyone know?  Am I the only person who signed up months ago for news on Cakewalk Next and then never heard anything?

Edited by Quinellipe Zorn
badly written

The signup for 'news' was sort of a flop.

The signup for Sonar Beta is more recent and rigorous. If they still need participants and you qualify, they will let you know.

Additional paperwork is required such as non-disclosure agreements & instructions to only report/communicate through private channels... and not this forum.

Good luck!

• Like 2

We’ve been black listed. 
I’m probably a waist of time anyway because I haven’t found a bug in Cakewalk for probably 5 years So doubt I’d find anything wrong with Sonar. 
I was messing with Sonar Home Studio yesterday and the audio engine kept stopping. This just proves to me how far we’ve come since 2016.  We forget those days and how you just block out what it was like. I don’t see how people can still be using those versions? I’m happy that I won’t ever have to go back there. 
Note that Home Studio was a lot more stable than Splat back then because it is so simple.  I bought it for that reason. I was going to use it for live performance.  

• Like 1

Have patience. This is a new phase of beta coming up that will greatly expand the number of testers. They're calling it a "public" beta, but will still be by invitation and require NDAs. A new private subforum and mailing list will be created for this second phase. If you're waiting on acceptance it's probably down to administrative factors.

Cakewalk may reasonably want to make sure the product has reached a certain level of stability before comitting to wider distribution. Those joining during this period will probably be getting more polished versions than the initial beta group are accustomed to, with fewer experimental or partially-implemented features, which reflects the current state of Sonar. It's come a long way in the past year. 

Caveat: I am mostly just speculating along with the rest of you, as I am not privy to any insider information. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

As a loyal user of "Cakewalk" from version 1.02 "Windows 3.1"; I used and upgraded every version through to X3.  I am deeply hurt by not being able to receive even a response about being a beta tester. I was cutoff from my account years ago and tried many resets, phone calls, emails, ...nada. As the sales manager for software at String-N-Things in Memphis for 7 yrs.; I sold countless copies and service for Cakewalk titles. That being said, I am probably in the first 100-200 people to ever use the Windows version. So; if you got a response about being a beta tester;  congratulation and good luck!

If I was the CW developers, I would focus first on professional users and those that have shown they use a large number of the features as much as possible.  Among several reasons, I don't see myself being in that group. I started with DOS and bought various versions until Sonar but didn't expect that to have any affect on their decision. Based on what I have seen on this forum, I'd bet we could guess at least 10 people that were selected and rightfully so.

My expectations for selection were low. So I've decided to focus on being impatient! :)

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 10:51 PM, Carlos Pickens said:

As a loyal user of "Cakewalk" from version 1.02 "Windows 3.1"; I used and upgraded every version through to X3.  I am deeply hurt by not being able to receive even a response about being a beta tester. I was cutoff from my account years ago and tried many resets, phone calls, emails, ...nada. As the sales manager for software at String-N-Things in Memphis for 7 yrs.; I sold countless copies and service for Cakewalk titles. That being said, I am probably in the first 100-200 people to ever use the Windows version. So; if you got a response about being a beta tester;  congratulation and good luck!

Depending on when your application was received you may yet get a response, it's relative to when it was received and how many other people have already been admitted. It's not a fully open beta, so it's a restricted size pool, so not everyone who applies will be admitted, nothing personal if you don't a response. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been with cakewalk since msdos. No response from the beta, no word from anyone else.

From a broader perspective, a company announces a new product in June, and doesn't have it out for the holidays, and still has released no other info since June... Says to me they've hit a snag and they're hiding ... Not a good look. 

I sadly updated my cubase, I'll relearn that while I wait zenly for SONAR. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 7:43 PM, David A Ludwig said:

I've been with cakewalk since msdos. No response from the beta, no word from anyone else.

From a broader perspective, a company announces a new product in June, and doesn't have it out for the holidays, and still has released no other info since June... Says to me they've hit a snag and they're hiding ... Not a good look. 

I sadly updated my cubase, I'll relearn that while I wait zenly for SONAR. 

So you’re thinking you should be automatically included ?  Did you sign up as soon as they were looking for beta testers ?

Zen is the way, forward, but Cubase ……. Good luck., whatever, keep making music !!!

J

Edited by Jeremy Oakes