The Annual "Show us Your Booty" Thread!

cclarry

12 minutes ago, Kirean said:

I'm really stumped by the fact that no one has bought Plugin Alliance stuff... 🙄

The marketing manager of PA will be set on fire. The price is much higher then before but without increasing added value, so they have met the similar situation like the last year of WAVES.

9 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

WinAero Tweaker is also a miracle for many of Win 11's annoyances.

It sounds small, but the one thing that truly drove me insane was the lack of seconds on the clock - I don't care about it on the taskbar, but I'd like to see them when I actually click on the clock so that I can sync up watches, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiloteq said:

I guess everyone has finished buying what they need.🙄

Technically I bought some with aftermarket F29 vouchers. As Of today I own it all. I also bought the $300 MEGA XXL for $200 (with an Avid Inner Circle $100 discount) and so next year I'll be able to pick out 10 of the 2024 releases with my year paid in advance voucher.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Looks like you beat me! This is a competition right?? I'm totally done now. Seriously. Done. Lost my paypal password and incinerated my credit card.  

8Dio: Majestica Ultra (upgrade)
8Dio: Silka Choir (bundle upgrade from Insolidus)
AudioBro: Eternity Adult Choir
AudioBro: Eternity Adult Choir Expanded
Audio Imperia: Talos
Audio Imperia: Aeria Lite
Audio Imperia: Nucleus
Audio Imperia: Cerberus
Audio Imperia: Jaeger
Audio Ollie: LA Modern Percussion
Cherry Audio: Polymode
Cinesamples: Musio (12 month sub for $90)
Excite Audio: Motion Harmonic
Fab-Filter: Pro-R 2: Crossgrade from Total Bundle
Kilohearts: Phase Plant
Kilohearts: Convolver
Macrium Reflect (4-Comp sub)
Orchestral Tools: Konduit (screw it, bought it at full price. Using it already today.)
Presets: Various Unfinished, String Audio, Leap Into Void
Skybox Audio: Hammer + Waves Collection + Expansions
SoundID: Reference for Headphones
Yurt Rock: Ultimate Bundle (Got tired of buying single packs. Bought the whole damn catalog for $160) 
Zero-G: Ethera Gold 2.5
Zero-G: Ethera Gold Intimate Voices
Zero-G: Ethera Atlantis 3
Zero-G: Ethera Prometheus
Zero-G: Elements Cinematic Rhythms

And more hardware for mobile system. And got a good deal on a set of HD600s. And bought a lifetime license for Writer Duet Premium, because if all else fails, that unfinished magnum opus screenplay will pay the bills. Right? Right?? 

@Carl Ewing There's one developer on your list that I have freebies from, but I don't have any of his paid libraries, Audio Ollie. From the quality of his freebies, I'm guessing that he makes excellent libraries, but I've asked friends and I don't know anyone who owns his libraries. As he recently had his Nashville Strings for dirt cheap ($49 USD), I almost bought it, but then I decided not to because I couldn't find anyone I knew who owned his libraries. What are your thoughts on the developer -- and do you own that library? 

7 hours ago, antler said:

It sounds small, but the one thing that truly drove me insane was the lack of seconds on the clock - I don't care about it on the taskbar, but I'd like to see them when I actually click on the clock so that I can sync up watches, etc.

Oh - I only know how to turn that on in the Taskbar. Not sure if it's an option for the clock app.

If you want it on the Taskbar, right click Taskbar, select "Taskbar  Settings", then click "Taskbar Behaviors" then checkmark "Show seconds in system tray clock".

You can access the same thing by hitting "Windows Key + I" (opens Settings), go to "Personalization", then "Taskbar Behaviors", and check same tickbox as above. 

Checking again, I don't see any option to get seconds on the Windows clock app. I'm sure there's a Windows app for it, but you can at least display it in the Taskbar which might help.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

@Carl Ewing There's one developer on your list that I have freebies from, but I don't have any of his paid libraries, Audio Ollie. From the quality of his freebies, I'm guessing that he makes excellent libraries, but I've asked friends and I don't know anyone who owns his libraries. As he recently had his Nashville Strings for dirt cheap ($49 USD), I almost bought it, but then I decided not to because I couldn't find anyone I knew who owned his libraries. What are your thoughts on the developer -- and do you own that library? 

Their LA Modern Percussion was strongly recommended by a lot of other composers. Got it for $99 so was worth a bit of a risk.

I'm not entirely happy with it. It's got the Junkie XL style of velocity mapping, where velocities run up the keyboard, instead of being mapped to a single key. This is absurd imo. Imagine playing a taiko drum where you needed a different drum for every velocity. 

(Edit: For some patches they provide a single-key dynamics option. However, this doesn't help much because.....)

Even worse - there is only one round-robin per velocity. So if there are 15 velocity layers for a taiko drum hit, that's all you get. 15 velocities per key.....with NO round-robin at each velocity. It's extremely easy to get machine gun like effects, or have to continually reperform something to avoid it, or use workarounds to help with repetition (their are techniques to help this...but this should not be necessary in a modern drum / percussion library.) To put it in perspective, if you needed to perform a really soft percussion roll - say at the bottom 25% of velocity, you are now dealing with maybe 4 or 5 different samples on each key, that will repeat over and over and over again. This becomes very artificial sounding within about 2-3 seconds.

Again - imagine having a taiko drum where you only had 15 different tones from soft to loud, with no randomness every time you hit the drum, no matter the velocity. It would be a dullest sounding drum ever made. And that's the case with this LA Modern Percussion library. It's dull.

However - the recordings are exceptional. I absolutely love the production / sound of the recordings. I believe it is either produced or fully mixed by Alan Meyerson whose mix work I love. But it's a real tragedy that they released it with this velocity / round-robin philosophy. It really sucks the life out of the whole library.

The Nashville Scoring Strings have also been recommended to me. But after this LAMP purchase, I'm going to stay away from this developer unless I have  clear understanding of how a library is scripted / produced. I'll still use LAMP - as it will be quite useful to blend with other percussion libraries (and a couple patches suffer less from the velocity / round-robin issue) - but I'm very disappointed in this purchase so far.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bapu said:

Technically I bought some with aftermarket F29 vouchers. As Of today I own it all. I also bought the $300 MEGA XXL for $200 (with an Avid Inner Circle $100 discount) and so next year I'll be able to pick out 10 of the 2024 releases with my year paid in advance voucher.

That's great, Mr. PA Master! I had been holding off on buying the annual bundle this year, believing it was coming, but recent developments seem to indicate that I was right to buy it at the same time as the individual releases.
I will be at the end of the year.
"PA Releases 2023" upfront for the best price of only $299 (MSRP $599)."
I want to scold myself for putting it off, believing that the "PA Releases 2023" would come again.😣

Edited by Kiloteq

UAD Signature upgrade. It was an interesting road to get there - those $49 pultec, la2a, 1167 collections plus a couple single plugins, discount upgrade to the short-lived diamond bundle, then the black friday piece was the $150 "users are complaining" upgrade offer. A small sting that I could have gone "free LA2A then signature upgrade" but overall I'm happy and almost surprised to have 44 UAD plugins with perpetual native licenses at around $12 per. I liked their work but never invested into their DSP hardware.

Upgraded the Fabfilter bundle to pick up Twin3 and R2, maybe one more I am forgetting

Redeemed a serial for toontrack's new Area 33 Origin SDX.

Considering Musio 1 which has introductory pricing through end of year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Their LA Modern Percussion was strongly recommended by a lot of other composers. Got it for $99 so was worth a bit of a risk.

I'm not entirely happy with it. It's got the Junkie XL style of velocity mapping, where velocities run up the keyboard, instead of being mapped to a single key. This is absurd imo. Imagine playing a taiko drum where you needed a different drum for every velocity. 

(Edit: For some patches they provide a single-key dynamics option. However, this doesn't help much because.....)

Even worse - there is only one round-robin per velocity. So if there are 15 velocity layers for a taiko drum hit, that's all you get. 15 velocities per key.....with NO round-robin at each velocity. It's extremely easy to get machine gun like effects, or have to continually reperform something to avoid it, or use workarounds to help with repetition (their are techniques to help this...but this should not be necessary in a modern drum / percussion library.) To put it in perspective, if you needed to perform a really soft percussion roll - say at the bottom 25% of velocity, you are now dealing with maybe 4 or 5 different samples on each key, that will repeat over and over and over again. This becomes very artificial sounding within about 2-3 seconds.

Again - imagine having a taiko drum where you only had 15 different tones from soft to loud, with no randomness every time you hit the drum, no matter the velocity. It would be a dullest sounding drum ever made. And that's the case with this LA Modern Percussion library. It's dull.

However - the recordings are exceptional. I absolutely love the production / sound of the recordings. I believe it is either produced or fully mixed by Alan Meyerson whose mix work I love. But it's a real tragedy that they released it with this velocity / round-robin philosophy. It really sucks the life out of the whole library.

The Nashville Scoring Strings have also been recommended to me. But after this LAMP purchase, I'm going to stay away from this developer unless I have  clear understanding of how a library is scripted / produced. I'll still use LAMP - as it will be quite useful to blend with other percussion libraries (and a couple patches suffer less from the velocity / round-robin issue) - but I'm very disappointed in this purchase so far.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to share those insights and observations, Carl. This is exactly the kind of honest and objective kind of review posts that are less likely to appear at developer revenue driven forums.  I wish we could archive this post in a review section. I realized long ago how important scripting is, especially for strings and guitar libraries. 

That mapping does sound extremely odd. I hope the developer gets this feedback and listens. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bapu said:

I have a spare code for that hundred bucks off, so if someone wants it, drop me a PM.

58 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wow, thanks for taking the time to share those insights and observations, Carl. This is exactly the kind of honest and objective kind of review posts that are less likely to appear at developer revenue driven forums.  I wish we could archive this post in a review section. I realized long ago how important scripting is, especially for strings and guitar libraries. 

That mapping does sound extremely odd. I hope the developer gets this feedback and listens. 

I agree. Objective reviews are very helpful. I appreciate this thread very much.🙂

• Like 1

Late entry the the thread.

BS Keyboard deals were rubbish this year, so I got a used Arturia Minilab Mk2 on eBay for 50 EUR.  Very pleased with it.

I bit on some last minute Cyber Monday deals on Nembrini Audio. Acoustic Voice Guitar Preamp.

• Like 2

A little late to the party, but here's the odd assortment I purchased for "black Friday week":

• Joshua Bell Violin
  • Triad Orbit mic stand to hold my Stam Audio U47 clone.
  • UHE Diva
  • Komplete 14 Collectors Edition upgrade.
  • A Bodhran drum from McNeela Music in Ireland.
  • The rest of the Topaz Labs suite (for upscaling images made in AI).
  • BHaptics Suite with arm bands for more immersion in Skyrim VR. Arrives next week - super stoked!
  • One year subscription to Solidworks Maker - I want to learn to do design some ideas I have an 3d print them.
  • 4 ounces of a CBD strain I've been waiting on for months
  • All parts to build a new DAW: Intel i9 14900, 64GB DDR5, Asus 4090 oc (because why not?), fans, drives, watercoolers, case, etc. Last new DAW build took me three weeks. I think I'm better prepared but I know this will be painful.

PS: Anyone know what to do with over $800 in Audio Plugin Deals rewards?

• Like 5