NI releases "Session Percussionist"

Solidos

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/drums/session-percussionist/

Instant organic rhythms

From simple solo beats to intricate ensembles, Session Percussionist delivers a versatile collection of drum patterns, rolls, and one-shots within an intuitive engine. Browse over 2000 rhythmic patterns performed by renowned session musicians, then tailor them to your tracks with flexible editing features to dial in everything from African drum grooves and Latin polyrhythms to claps and snaps for your next pop hit.

ย 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh man, this does sooo much more than Shimmer Shake Strike 2.ย  ย I'm glad I didn't upgrade to the new version. That would have cost me $70!ย  ย If there is a $25 voucher for NI this year, then the price for this is basically $75 and then you can sell it for $40 or $50 when Komplete 15 comes out.ย ย 

I'm working on a piece right now and I'm not happy with what I'm getting from SSS or Skaka.ย  ย Among other things, they just have sounds in the high frequency range.ย  This has cajons, congas, djembes, etc.ย  If you want low end in your percussion track, you need another instrument.ย  And this has some slick methods for combining them.ย  ย ย 

For finding alternateย  patterns it has some nice algorithmic features, similar to EZBass.ย ย 

I should also say that this was created by drumasonic, which made my beloved Session Guitarist series.ย ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Guess if NI will do their Xmas/New Year 50% off sale this year, then this will be excluded?

Doesn't the usually happen in the summer?
IIRC while they have holiday deals theย real deals happen during their summer sale.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Doesn't the usually happen in the summer?
IIRC while they have holiday deals theย real deals happen during their summer sale.

Yeah, you may be right there.

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

The only surprise about this library is that NI didn't release this one long ago.ย  I suspect it will be a great seller for them.ย 

I'm even more surprised that there was none such library *from anyone* before. There are quite a few percussion sample libraries, with some having a few banks of additional MIDI performances, but nothing closer to filling in a role of a typical percussionist for a band, this is the closest so far. At least there is nothing, as tailored, I'm aware of.

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't excluded.ย  Maybe 50% off in the summer...

Ha! We know this game. I'm good for waiting then. Funny I just recently bought Cuba on half-off sale and no interest paypal payments, after all the years lol. It has some good chunk of overlap with this new one, but I like how this new is more focused on just the percussions.

On 11/9/2023 at 7:23 PM, chris.r said:

Yeah, you may be right there.

I'm even more surprised that there was none such library *from anyone* before. There are quite a few percussion sample libraries, with some having a few banks of additional MIDI performances, but nothing closer to filling in a role of a typical percussionist for a band, this is the closest so far. At least there is nothing, as tailored, I'm aware of.

Ha! We know this game. I'm good for waiting then. Funny I just recently bought Cuba on half-off sale and no interest paypal payments, after all the years lol. It has some good chunk of overlap with this new one, but I like how this new is more focused on just the percussions.

This seems like a title that's definitely going to be part of KOMPLETE standard on up if you're interested in that. I'd say pick up an old version of KOMPLETE that allows you to update to the newest version, and next time there's a half off upgrade sale, you can get the update for $90 or less from resellers with cclarry's codes. I usually do.ย ย 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I purchased this yesterday - but it's still not showing in Native Access as a product. I even registered the serial number manually (something the instructions said was unnecessary).ย 

ย 

And their support ticket system keeps locking up when I try to create a ticket...

ย 

Something ain't right over there.

37 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

I purchased this yesterday - but it's still not showing in Native Access as a product. I even registered the serial number manually (something the instructions said was unnecessary).ย 

ย 

And their support ticket system keeps locking up when I try to create a ticket...

ย 

Something ain't right over there.

Sorry if stupid question but did you use NA v2?

• Great Idea 1

47 minutes ago, smallstonefan said:

Definitely not a stupid question - I didnโ€™t even know there were multiple versions as native access keeps itself updated. Iโ€™ll look into this - thanks! ๐Ÿ‘

Yeah you need to use โ€œNative Access 2โ€ for the more recent releases (technically v3 I believe). NA 1 updates itself but doesnโ€™t prompt for an update to NA 2. Some of us are clinging on to NA 1 for dear life on account of subjective usability stuff. NA 1 and 2 can coexist on Mac, whereas on PC NA 2 overwrites 1. Get the latest download from here and it will be NA 2:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, trager said:

Yeah you need to use โ€œNative Access 2โ€ for the more recent releases (technically v3 I believe). NA 1 updates itself but doesnโ€™t prompt for an update to NA 2. Some of us are clinging on to NA 1 for dear life on account of subjective usability stuff. NA 1 and 2 can coexist on Mac, whereas on PC NA 2 overwrites 1. Get the latest download from here and it will be NA 2:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/

That fixed my issue, thanks!

Craziest part is that NA1 took my serial and successfully registered the instrument. That would have been a great time to give me a message telling me I needed a newer version to download it.

And yes - I'm on PC it and got rid of NA v1 on installation of v2.

Thanks again for the help! ๐Ÿ™

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

UVI has their Percussion Factory, which is no slouch.

I'll probably get this new NI one, too.

I just ran through a couple of videos on that Percussion Factory and yeah, at around 700MB does it sound lovely and have nice big grooves library but it's a lot more expensive and still gives me too mechanical feel. Could be interesting option when I see it on a deep sale. Great for modern electronic music.

Session Percussionist is almost 6GB that suggests it's been sampled in much more detail though. And hopefully I can get it for under $50 in couple months. Also grooves feel more natural when I listen to demos. Is there anything that plays and sounds more natural than that? Maybe the new library that's still in the oven Peter is telling about. But I don't expect it to be priced in humane price range.

Man, just give me a 'Louis Conte in da pocket' and I'm done!ย ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

14 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

@smallstonefan;

Hopefully you are also aware that this instrument REQUIRES Kontakt 7.7 at minimum to run.ย 

And if you've been anywhere near the NI/Kontakt forum lately, you'll know that Kontakt 7.x is a hot mess currently.

Personally, Ima gonna wait til 8.x comes out next spring.

Yup. Does anyone know if I upgrade to Kontakt 7 hot mess, if I can still keep my Kontakt 6 and 5 installed and viable?

Aging Win 10 system from 2013.

So cool that kontakt 7 seems required for any newer libraries. What an Apple move.