Cakewalk by Bandlab being free forever???

puddy

I want to find out; what happened to the promise that Cakewalk by Bandlab would stay/remain free?? Looking at the conversations in this forum, it appears that most of the members are quick to forget or might be having some sort of amnesia;  there was a clear communication from the owner of the company, which I do not have to repeat. I am however seeing that those that have queries in this regard are seen as being 'free loaders', etc. This does not have to be so.  Did the owner come back and announce a change of plan?  Some people are expecting a free Cakewalk software, not because  they are freeloaders, but because it was promised. I would like to see an announcement that Cakewalk by Bandland has stopped being free.

Thank you.

its puddy

• Like 3
  • Meh 3

Seriously,  can we just give this a rest.  Bandlab gave us 5+ years of great updates for free and have really shored up the stability of the product.  Be thankful and when the pricing comes out decide if you want to go forward with Sonar or look elsewhere.  This is just getting ridiculous!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Seriously,  can we just give this a rest.  Bandlab gave us 5+ years of great updates for free and have really shored up the stability of the product.  Be thankful and when the pricing comes out decide if you want to go forward with Sonar or look elsewhere.  This is just getting ridiculous!  

I agree with you that it was/is great that we got 5 years of updates for free! 😊

On the other hand I think it is not "ridiculous" if someone reminds us of yesterday's promises! It was somehow the same when Microsoft told us that there would be no new Windows after W10! 😉

On 7/25/2020 at 12:54 PM, puddy said:

I'm really impressed with the Akai MPC Beats, how it does what it does.

This could be 'my perfect' music/beat making software. Thanks to Akai

On 11/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, puddy said:
On 11/15/2020 at 1:01 PM, Ronald Claessens said:

. . . it's time Bandlab [sic] redesign the UI otherwise  I think they gonna lose market share.

This is true and I can't agree with you more, it's amazing how I think this is the least of priorities.

I ended up buying studio one artist (it's not even extremely affordable where I'm from, about R1 200.00 black friday) cause I tried but gave up tolerating the UI.

I'll surely keep an eye on cakewalk cause the fundamentals and feature sets are okay.

Emphasis added above.

Now re-read the first post in this this thread:

3 hours ago, puddy said:

I want to find out; what happened to the promise that Cakewalk by Bandlab would stay/remain free?? Looking at the conversations in this forum, it appears that most of the members are quick to forget or might be having some sort of amnesia;  there was a clear communication from the owner of the company, which I do not have to repeat. I am however seeing that those that have queries in this regard are seen as being 'free loaders', etc. This does not have to be so.  Did the owner come back and announce a change of plan?  Some people are expecting a free Cakewalk software, not because  they are freeloaders, but because it was promised. I would like to see an announcement that Cakewalk by Bandland has stopped being free.

UPDATE: Commentary on the above deleted. I believe the OP's words speak for themselves.   

Note: I am not saying or implying anything negative about AKAI's software and I understand the reasoning for the modernization of Cakewalk's UI in both Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar. I only cited the OP's comments about AKAI and the UI to call attention to the OP's long-standing bias.

Edited by User 905133
to remove the commentary on the posts I cited

Scook wouldn't tell a lie would he?

I'm impartial here really, in a way I couldn't care less, I jumped ship in 2015, no intention of returning, it's the Deals forum ya' see, anyway Meng has said a number of times both of his own free will, and in answering or calming the brethren. I read it, you've read it, we've all read it regardless of how it is being spun now by those who spin.

OP. you are indeed correct, and it was actually something I wondered myself, actually waiting for it to come up, and quite surprised it didn't.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Re: Cakewalk by BandLab free but will next update/version cost us (SONAR users/customers)?    April 5, 2018

Platform and future product updates will continue to be free, just like BandLab - innovation must push forward!

But don't expect Rapture Pro for example to be free when it is re-released 🙂 (except for those that have bought it before in some way or form and have already created a BandLab account)

We still don't know what will happen when the the new products (Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar) are released. It is premature (among other things) to call this statement a lie. 

"Gotta be free, gotta be free"

• Like 1