CW, here to stay, or going away

SloHand Solo

I see these articles every few days on DAW shootouts and new releases.  Some of the ones who dare to mention the vastly superior, Cakewalk, say that it's going to be discontinued or will be changing to a paid version.  But it always seems to be BS.

This article says, "The best free DAWs are Waveform Free and Cakewalk by BandLab. Unfortunately, Cakewalk will soon be discontinued."

That's not true, right

Review...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SloHand Solo said:

I see these articles every few days on DAW shootouts and new releases.  Some of the ones who dare to mention the vastly superior, Cakewalk, say that it's going to be discontinued or will be changing to a paid version.  But it always seems to be BS.

This article says, "The best free DAWs are Waveform Free and Cakewalk by BandLab. Unfortunately, Cakewalk will soon be discontinued."

That's not true, right

The bottom line, "It will be replaced by a new version of SONAR and will no longer be freeware" is partially true.  Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) (which is rooted in SONAR) is in the process of being discontinued.  It still works.  We can still use it.  Bandlab has announced two new products will be coming out Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar.

There is plenty of information (and discussion) of this. Some things are known to the public, but since Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar have not yet been released as purchasable products, we will have to wait until information / details are released (such as about when and how much).

40 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Not again!

I agree that we don't need yet another thread.

@SloHand Solo  You can read the discussions and points raised in other threads.  As a long-time user of Cakewalk/SONAR software I am confident that when there's news about pricing and availability, it will be announced. 

Edited by User 905133
edit
  • Like 1

Forum search function, missing or just invisible?

BPB are 

21 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

That's not true, right

I can't speak to the part about Waveform, but Cakewalk, as a free program, is being discontinued.

It will be replaced in BandLab's portfolio by Cakewalk Sonar (mixed case), which will be a paid product. So the only thing incorrect about BPB's article is the punctuation of Sonar.

People who are looking for free DAW software because they don't have the budget for it should stay away from Cakewalk by BandLab for that reason. I'd consider CbB at this stage to be a free demo for Sonar. We don't yet know what the license fees will be for Sonar.

• Like 2

Whatever this company decides for its future, It has already paid it forward. This DAW has been free for 5 years with continuous updates.

I'm not sure how BPB has Traction #1 on that list. Cakewalk by Bandlab has way more features. I've been pleasantly surprised in the direction Cakewalk has taken. Anything they have offered the past 5 years was a free extra. It's been great.

• Like 3