Best replacement for Cakewalk

RobertWS

3 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Let's say, theoretically, someone was fed up with the recent changes to Cakewalk because it completely disabled their setup.

What would be the best replacement?

Gee, you're living dangerously :) (I like it 😁), especially for someone who has been around the Cakewalk Forums for a long time like yourself. Put your helmet on and prepare for incoming fire ;)

Studio One Pro hands down IMO 👍

• Like 4

hmmm, I guess getting the set up up and going again and sticking with Cakewalk isn't an option then? give it one more shot, the old college try?

I have no issues with MIDI in Studio One for what I do, but I here mumblings around the traps, perhaps I am just not delving into the depths of MIDI, anyway.

I hear Cubase aint to shabby $$$, REAPER is getting better, but it can be a little how shall I say 'cantankerous' Easy on the wallet but hard on the eyes :)

Other than sticking it out with Cakewalk, best wait for the MIDI guys to turn up, it be out of my wheelhouse.

Best of luck.

Edited by heath row
here - hear

7 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Let's say, theoretically, someone was fed up with the recent changes to Cakewalk because it completely disabled their setup.

What would be the best replacement?

The new Sonar..........theoretically.

Edited by Pragi
  • Great Idea 2

Studio One, depending on how deep in to Midi you are.

I've never not been able to do anything in Studio One that I could do in Sonar.

That said, I used to read all the time about people complaining of the lack of Midi in Studio One compared to Sonar.

And that said, I've skipped the last 2 upgrades to Studio One so that situation may have changed as well.

I actually found Midi and Midi editing a lot better in Studio One than Sonar but I'm a basic user. 

If you are a long time Sonar user, Studio One is the logical choice and is closest to what Sonar is.

Plus Studio One supports 4K monitors. It was great on my 40" TV.

Edited to add: Macros are great in Studio One. Very easy to make your own and there are more than you could ever ask for to download on their Exchange server, which is accessed directly from the main screen when start Studio One.

Editing of Midi and audio in Studio One was significantly better for me. It was more fluid for lack of a better term? Smoother editing. Easier to see, zoom, and maneuver around especially when zoomed in.

Edited by Shane_B.
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

And that said, I've skipped the last 2 upgrades to Studio One so that situation may have changed as well.

ot, but this is actually why it's all going subscription - if you can already do what you need to do, why would you upgrade/buy a new version? tools for jobs - i don't need to upgrade my hammer because i can still hit nails in with the one i've already got

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

57 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

ot, but this is actually why it's all going subscription - if you can already do what you need to do, why would you upgrade/buy a new version? tools for jobs - i don't need to upgrade my hammer because i can still hit nails in with the one i've already got

I agree. A lot of things are going subscription-based now. For example, my older truck has the GMC version of Google maps built in. 

All newer GMC's require you to subscribe to OnStar to get access. You can plug your cell in and use Google maps, but if you want to use the built in navigation you have to subscribe to OnStar.

I'm in the Point Of Sales business. You have to subscribe to get the latest software version to keep some systems running. If you ignore the reminder and don't do it, your entire system goes down.

A lot of POS systems now are free to the business IF they use their credit card services and pay them 3.5% per transaction, which gets passed along to the customer of course.

But IRT software subscriptions, I like the option, but also want to be able to buy it outright if I choose to. Studio One offers both options for now, but the second that changes I will no longer use their software.

I tried their all inclusive option one time. I forget what it's called, but you get access to all their VSTs and samples. I ended up using exactly 0% of it. I already had everything I use, a lot of it I got for free, and most of it was unusable unless you are a BIAB type user. Edit: You also get the latest full version of Studio One Producer that subscription, which is huge.

I'm not knocking BIAB, I really like it. They got a bug fixed that crippled the way I tried to use it and fortunatley Sweets let me return it. I will jump back in again when the dust settles here and I get a studio set up again.

Edited by Shane_B.

I was quite surprised at how much Studio One 6 resembles Cakewalk/SONAR. The last time attempted to use S1 seriously was back in version 2. I used it a lot for mastering projects - very nice project view.

Without a doubt, if Cakewalk/Sonar is not an option for you, I would recommend a serious look at Studio One 6 (Professional).

IMPORTANT CAVEAT:
Look, if you're having issues with getting Cakewalk to work smoothly, you are going to have the same problems with Studio One. Almost guaranteed.

Cubase depending on what you're looking for. As far as I kow Studio One has no sysex capability so if it's hardware synths and the like Cubase is for you, you can even create Studio Panels for your hardware to control it in Cubase. If you're looking at live performance Live is where it's at. If you're just using a lot of VSTi almost any DAW will get you there :)

Bill

FWIW I'm happy with Studio One, but then again I'm not a deep dive MIDI guy. I'll play a simple set of chords on my Axiom if I get the urge or use my extensive ToonTrack/Groove Monkee MIDI patterns for drums to geta basic idea across before the 'live' drummer does his thing on our Citizen Regen songs.

• Like 1