Is SONAR Platinum still possible to activate?

Canopus

I suddenly realized that although I installed SONAR Platinum on my most recent laptop some two years ago, I have never opened it – I’ve only used CbB. So, I started SONAR Platinum and was (not surprisingly) met by a message saying that I needed to activate it. When trying to do just that, Command Center told me that it can’t get in contact with the Cakewalk server. And, of course, I understand that’s due to the changes being made to the activation back-end server earlier this month.

So, is it even possible to activate SONAR Platinum on this laptop? Perhaps by sending an offline activation request file to Cakewalk support and get a response file in return? Or, is activation of legacy products simply impossible from now on any computer?

• Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

All of the old auth systems for SONAR should still be valid. Just make sure you grab the updated version of command center for legacy content 

Thanks, I didn’t know there was an updated Command Center, but now I’ve updated my Command Center 1.1.7.1 from 2016 to version 1.1.8.1 from June 2023. After that, the SONAR Platinum activation worked perfectly.

And for anyone who needs to know, here’s a download link to the updated Command Center: https://taylor.cakewalk.com/Command-Center

PS. I don’t know who Taylor is, but he must be a pretty, pretty important guy over at BandLab, having his own subdomain and all. :)

2 hours ago, Canopus said:

I don’t know who Taylor is, but he must be a pretty, pretty important guy over at BandLab, having his own subdomain and all.

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

Sorry this is unrelated to the topic, however, for what is the subdomain taylor.cakewalk.com I see occasionally these days? Just curious, but I'm curious...

There is also a "gaga.cakewalk..." subdomain. I'm seeing a pattern here, with subdomains named after high-profile female rock stars. Might be some fanboys on the technical team. 😎

Edited by Larry Jones
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

@Jonathan Sasor Sorry this is unrelated to the topic, however, for what is the subdomain taylor.cakewalk.com I see occasionally these days? Just curious, but I'm curious...

Once upon a time they were staging platforms for testing various web changes. The legacy.cakewalk.com is the main page for the previous site. 

• Thanks 2

I opened a project in Splat today. It was nice seeing the old Splat. I loved it. I know CWB has many advancements over it. Just sayin....

Could someone comment on this:

If I start a new project in Splat and import the midi and audio files from a recent CWB project WITHOUT any vsts, etc. (just the data) and then saving it with a different name or something. Will that work to keep my new projects safe? 

Or just opening the project and quickly saving it with a different name in new location?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

one option to preserve things: once you have your audio and MIDI the way you want them - export tracks as WAV and also save the project as a MIDI type 1 file. if you want the effects to be printed (at a track level) export with the FX (etc) turned on. and maybe do some instrumental only and full mix stereo exports. with all the WAV tracks (raw and/or FX) and the MIDI tracks, you could essentially re-create the mix in almost any DAW + have your guiding mix available.

make copious notes on the FX used and their settings as well. screenshots if needed into a Word or Google Docs document (along with your project notes: performances, mics, HW settings, room, performers, etc etc 🙂 )

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

I'd suggest using https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Command-Center instead, but the 1.1.8.1 version of Command Center is the correct one. We had to shift some server end stuff which required a new version of Command Center so it could phone home correctly. 

FWIW I couldn't get  CC to open for me when I tried it after seeing this thread,, so today I installed the version from this link and nothing has changed. I get the window that asks if I want to allow it to open, answer yes and then nothing....... The last time I tried it was when the discontinuation announcement was made and it was fine then.

21 hours ago, paulo said:

FWIW I couldn't get  CC to open for me when I tried it after seeing this thread,, so today I installed the version from this link and nothing has changed. I get the window that asks if I want to allow it to open, answer yes and then nothing....... The last time I tried it was when the discontinuation announcement was made and it was fine then.

Do you have an old version installed? Anyway, I never UNINSTALLED the CCC i had. After this thread surfaced I tried to open it-NOPE-no good. I downloaded from one of the links above-installed and it opens fine. It open fine for me. I downloaded the versions listed here just for the heck of it.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:13 AM, Shayne White said:

Honestly, I hope that Cakewalk brings back something resembling the Command Center when the new Sonar is released. It was a great app and easy to use for downloading and installing all the Cakewalk content. Kind of similar to NI Access.

You must have forgotten the fact that it seemed like every month the updates would fail / not work properly within the App itself.

It all seemed much better when they got rid of it, IMO.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, Pathfinder said:

Will that work to keep my new projects safe?

All your projects should be "safe" as-is.  If a saved project is opened in an older version you'll get a warning that it was saved in a more recent one, but it should still open.

• Like 1