Office 365

cclarry

21 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

UN & PW permanent and can't be changed but MS requires it changed on first login?  LOL, uh no.

O365.thumb.JPG.db81643fcd3bb30c6db0966d7bd94bd5.JPG

Please pay us to have the opportunity to give us the password you use all the time. We promise to use it only to drain your bank account. Merci d'avance, sucker!

• Haha 1

Just now, John Maar said:

Please pay us to have the opportunity to give us the password you use all the time. We promise to use it only to drain your bank account. Merci d'avance, sucker!

I pay 69 € per year. I chose to do that instead of buying permanent licenses, because: 1) they're expensive, 2) updates to new major versions are NOT included and 3) I use the included Android versions occasionally.

1 hour ago, husker said:

I bought a lifetime license for a DAW one time.   Ask me how that turned out.  :)

SPlat. The sound heard 'round the world. SPlat went splat all of about 6 months after I bought a lifetime license. I forgot to read the fine print: "Lifetime of a mayfly*."

* Mayfly lifespan: 24 hours, the shortest of any insect in the world.

1 hour ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

I am no one

Me too. In a professional working environment, I would say it's impossible to use anything but Microsoft Word. As long as there are incompatibilities between Word, LibreOffice and OpenOffice, most importantly to me in the Review/Track Changes area, nobody is going to accept anything but pure docx. But sure, if you only have to open, edit and save documents that you’ve created yourself, or maybe exchange documents with friends and family, you’re probably good to go with any freeware alternative.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Canopus said:

In a professional working environment, I would say it's impossible to use anything but Microsoft Word.

What a lordly statement! 😄

Sorry, that I don't agree! E.g. OpenOffice was really advanced with their file format (much earlier than MS) that allowed to make program-created documents! I clearly remember the trouble when we tried to create MS documents in the IT of a very large company! At that time we would have loved the professional design of OpenOffice compared to the Microsoft patchwork! 😉

37 minutes ago, MarcL said:

What a lordly statement! 😄

Sorry, that I don't agree! E.g. OpenOffice was really advanced with their file format (much earlier than MS) that allowed to make program-created documents! I clearly remember the trouble when we tried to create MS documents in the IT of a very large company! At that time we would have loved the professional design of OpenOffice compared to the Microsoft patchwork! 😉

I think you’re missing my point.

In all the companies I’ve ever worked for, there has been a set of file format standards so that daily work can be performed as efficiently as possible. Nobody has time or motivation to convert between multiple document formats, if that’s even possible (in my example above with Review/Track Changes, it’s not). So, I’m not saying that any of these document formats is better than the other, I’m saying that corporations have to decide upon a standard document format to avoid waste of time and loss of information. And that would more often be Microsoft Word, or should I say Microsoft Office, than anything else. Just Google for number of tutorials available

Personal preferences has nothing to do with it.

That's kind of like how Pro Tools is the industry standard.

Pro Tools is only the industry standard because it's the industry standard, not because it's any better than anything else. I get a real kick out of how every time they come out with a new version they trumpet the great new features. Features that every other DAW on the planet has had for years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Canopus said:

I think you’re missing my point.

In all the companies I’ve ever worked for, there has been a set of file format standards so that daily work can be performed as efficiently as possible. Nobody has time or motivation to convert between multiple document formats, if that’s even possible (in my example above with Review/Track Changes, it’s not). So, I’m not saying that any of these document formats is better than the other, I’m saying that corporations have to decide upon a standard document format to avoid waste of time and loss of information. And that would more often be Microsoft Word, or should I say Microsoft Office, than anything else. Just Google for number of tutorials available

Personal preferences has nothing to do with it.

Yes, I understand your argumets.

But are Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Pro Tools really more professional than others? Nowadays, if someone is dominating the market in a certain area, this does definitely not mean that their product is best, is professional! IMHO those 4 companies are technically not professional at all (and one could list a lot of reasons why)! Thus I think your wording has been quite provocative! 😄