Pro Tools Sketch Announced - New Music Creation Feature In Pro Tools

cclarry

"The Sketch window presents a grid of Cells into which Audio or MIDI clips can be imported or recorded. Vertical Tracks host either audio clips or MIDI...."

"The completed song can be exported as a .wav. However there is deeper integration into Pro Tools available. Rather than exporting ideas created in a non-linear environment into Pro Tools, Sketches can be played back in in sync with a conventional linear Pro Tools session, combining the best of both linear and non-linear workflows."

Sounds like this "matrix" of cells is able to do a ton of things. Avid leads the way once more!

• Haha 3

What am I missing?

This seems like the Matrix util we've had in Cake dating back to what? Pro Audio or Sonar days.

Maybe with some additional talent? I don’t know as I didn’t use Matrix more than cursory exploration...

The fact that they are moving in this direction is promising. 

Cakewalk has had this for a while, but Pro Tools has had Audio Recording and Editing functions for decades that Cakewalk is still missing; so, people should tone down the sarcasm. 

I still think they need to bring the prices down a but and Studio should have a clearly presented $499 Perpetual purchase option with $189/year support maintenance costs. 

Once they have developed enough MIDI and Production features, they can bring the price back to to be on par with Cubase Pro for that SKU. 

Pro Tools Artist is still awful compared to Cubase Artist and other comparable DAWs in that price range. It really shouldn't even exist, IMO. It's basically an Elements SKU with mjd-tier marketing. 

I really like their dark mode. 

Pro Tooks windows management continues to be awful, and I'm not sure how they can fix that. Basically need an UW Monitor for it, due to how it manages windows. 

Still weaker than something like Samplitude Pro X for MIDI, but maintaining its prowess for Audio. The clip launcher actually looks quite usable - if not somewhat tacked on. Not as good as Logic or DP's, though. 

It's time for PT to receive the Media Composer treatment and get a substantial UI/UX update, IMO.

Event Window is basically the same as Reason's design-wise.

Edited by iNate

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Although it seems like a good addition to their usual mixing craft, the performance of this panel might have problems considering it's in Pro Tools.

I imagine that this matrix is best viewed on a second monitor.

Avid has probably waited this long to help give them a bit of wiggle room.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:49 AM, iNate said:

The fact that they are moving in this direction is promising. 

Cakewalk has had this for a while, but Pro Tools has had Audio Recording and Editing functions for decades that Cakewalk is still missing; so, people should tone down the sarcasm.

Aww, it's all in good fun. It's fun to take cheap shots at certain "institutions."

Pro Tools users can be plenty ignorant/dismissive of other DAW's. So I like to talk a bit of smack about how the so-called "industry leader" no longer does any leading. Are other DAW manufacturers looking to Pro Tools for inspiration? I suspect not.

Is this feature going to lure users in from other DAW's? No way. It's a way for existing users to dabble in this newfangled "loop" thing.

And I'm with you on that Dark mode. I was watching a video and spotted XPand! 2 on the screen, hosted by a DAW with a slick-looking flat dark UI (reminded me of my Green Flat Dark CbB theme). Couldn't figure out what it was until you posted.

Edited by Starship Krupa

On 8/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Pro Tools users can be plenty ignorant/dismissive of other DAW's.

Totally disagree, considering how many "Pro Tools users" produce in other DAWs and use it as a tool for specific stages of the overall production process - or when working at certain facilities. 

The only people who would do this are those in post, and given how dominant Pro Tools is there... it kind of makes sense that they would. Almost nothing else matters in that market segment. 

I see far more of that from users of other DAWs towards Pro Tools than the other way around, so I find this line of thinking to be quite ironic. 

Fanbois of all DAWs are dismissive of others, but those are generally a subset of the overall user base. The people active on internet forums are but a loud minority. 

It's why we have "DAW Wars."

Beyond that, aside from me pointing out the unnecessary negativity, my post was quite critical because I think the pricing and marketing does not quite match up to what they are offering right now. 

Edited by iNate

Some of us missed the sarcasm.  I doubt Pro Tools will ever be attractive to a first time DAW user. They usually have to be brainwashed in a school for that to happen or being misled by a clueless person working for Guitar Center.

Licensing needs to improve and the industry needs to move away from pushing subscriptions.  Sure that works for the Rent-A-Center mindset.

12 hours ago, iNate said:

Totally disagree....

You disagree that "Pro Tools users can be pretty dismissive?" I didn't say are, I said "can be," which is quite different.

And I'm sure that things are indeed, as you suggest, different today than they were even 10 years ago in that regard. It would make sense that they would be different because Avid (and Digidesign before them) have not exactly nurtured up and coming music makers. These days, it's more likely that someone using ProTools would have started out using another DAW.

Most of us in this subforum have been around quite a while, and back in the day, PT users were pretty snooty about other DAW's.

How about "Pro Tools users could be pretty dismissive back in the day?" 😄

This news sounds quite intriguing! Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out this new feature. It seems like it'll add a whole new dimension to music creation in Pro Tools. As a dedicated Pro Tools user, I've got to say, I'm absolutely stoked about this new Sketch feature. This is the kind of innovation that can seriously speed up our work and open up some exciting possibilities for creative music production. Can't wait to dive into this. Speaking of recording music, I wanted to ask if anyone happen to have a concertina for sale or knows where I could find a good one. I've been on the lookout for a quality instrument to add a unique twist to my tracks. Hit me up if you've got any leads. 

Edited by samueldaisi

On 9/6/2023 at 8:23 PM, samueldaisi said:

This news sounds quite intriguing! Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely looking forward to trying out this new feature. It seems like it'll add a whole new dimension to music creation in Pro Tools. As a dedicated Pro Tools user, I've got to say, I'm absolutely stoked about this new Sketch feature. This is the kind of innovation that can seriously speed up our work and open up some exciting possibilities for creative music production. Can't wait to dive into this. Speaking of recording music, I wanted to ask if anyone happen to have a concertina for sale or knows where I could find a good one. I've been on the lookout for a quality instrument to add a unique twist to my tracks. Hit me up if you've got any leads. 

Have you looked into McNeela brand? They have concertina for beginners to advance.