IK Deals on Hammond B3 and a "Secret" Deal

cclarry

Price dropped on Hammond B-3X to $49.99 from $129.99

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/hammondb3x/?pkey=hammondb3x

and for those who have installed and authorized AT5 CS, they can get $100 off TONEX SE.  TONEX SE isn't sold directly any more so there's kind of a "secret link".

If you authorize AT5 CS then follow this link 
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/shop/add.php?R=addbysku&P=TX-100SE-DID-IN
you'll have TONEX SE in your cart, then add the coupon TXSEAT5A (if it is not there, click "Apply" and it should take $100 off) making it $49.99.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Grem said:

Been there... done that!!

Me too...

Not my first dance either. But I’m still happy with it at the price I paid. It’s a great piece of software even at full price!

Sadly, these sales are leading me to believe there won’t be any updates/upgrades. I hope I’m wrong as it definitely has room to grow!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keni said:

But I’m still happy with it at the price I paid. It’s a great piece of software even at full price!

Agreed. 

Working on a song. I was using Kontakt's Vinatge Organs, Born To Be Wild preset. Sounded good, just a little too much distortion. I was liking what I was getting with Kontakt but thought let me try the IK B3. The control and tone is much better in the IK version, hands down!!

[eidt] Forgot to add. I got my B3 in a group buy or a Total Studio sale. Can't remember. But I didn't pay full price. However, it is worth the asking price.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 4

It's one of the many products that I got with Total Studio 3.5 MAX. I didn't pay it much attention because that type of instrument sounds so old school to me, like it's got this 70ies TV quiz show background music vibe, I can't imagine it in a modern production. What kind of genres does one use it for? I see it's very popular here, so I guess I underestimated it's potential. 

17 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

It's one of the many products that I got with Total Studio 3.5 MAX. I didn't pay it much attention because that type of instrument sounds so old school to me, like it's got this 70ies TV quiz show background music vibe, I can't imagine it in a modern production. What kind of genres does one use it for? I see it's very popular here, so I guess I underestimated it's potential. 

Wait, there's someone in the group who's not at least middle aged??? 

B3's are used in rock, blues, R&B, neo soul, country, house and jazz (there's probably more, but this is what I know off hand). But you're unlikely to hear a B3 upfront in many modern rock songs with exceptions for Coldplay and Muse. But you will hear them in modern country,  neo soul, blues and R&B songs. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wait, there's someone in the group who's not at least middle aged??? 

B3's are used in rock, blues, R&B, neo soul, country, house and jazz (there's probably more, but this is what I know off hand). But you're unlikely to hear a B3 upfront in many modern rock songs with exceptions for Coldplay and Muse. But you will hear them in modern country,  neo soul, blues and R&B songs. 

Thanks. Yes well, I guess it's not for me then.

I'm actually middle-aged. I'm 50. Just into more modern music.

10 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

Thanks. Yes well, I guess it's not for me then.

I'm actually middle-aged. I'm 50. Just into more modern music.

Hahaha! Every time I think someone younger is in the group, it turns out they're at least 40! Hey, I'm in my 50s too. I just like the idea that our group has at least some members from different generations. 

But I'd still say give it a try. Even if you're doing EDM -- I didn't catch what genres you do -- it may have a use in some capacity.  But I'm biased, I love retro and lo fi stuff, including B3s, Trons, Wurlies, old drum machines... 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Yeah. For that matter why would anyone use a flute, or a french horn, or strings, or tympani, or even square and sawtooth waves or pianos or acoustic guitars in modern music.  They are all throwbacks to music made by ancient people.  😜 

In fact, so many sounds from the past 10-15 year have become hackneyed. 😉 

Edited by User 905133
word changes
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

It a very versatile instrument. Yes it can do the 70 quiz sound but so much more. A staple of  jazz,  soul and prog rock. Jon Lord of Deep Purple used it very effectivly for heavy rock. You do hear it on current records occasionally but I see no reason it can't be used in almost any genre.

I think the appeal is in the organic ( no pun intended) sound of the electro mechanical tone wheels, something that has not been perfectly emulated until recently along with the mechanical rotary Leslie speaker.

IK have got the closest yet.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Jon Lord of Deep Purple used it very effectivly for heavy rock.

1 hour ago, Monomox said:

used the B3 in djent tracks to beef up the bass

And this is exactly the B3's appeal. For many years when I was younger I thought the Deep Purple sound was the distorted guitar sound. Then I realized all that time it was the B3 that Jon Lord was playing having that sound, not the guitar. 

Monomix doing the same with a new genre of music.

If you limit the B3 because it has a 70's sound to it, then you really limit yourself. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cclarry said:

This post!!!! This is exactly why it may be a good idea to wait a day or two before pulling the trigger -- as Larry will beat his own deals! 

Also, if you have Jam Points at IK, they work for this sale, so you can reduce the price a little lower than JRR's price if you have enough Jam Points to take the maximum 30% off from the sale price. I know, because I tried and am still contemplating whether to pick this up or not.

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1