Ample Sound Summer Sale

cclarry

2 hours ago, fret_man said:

Hmm, 20% is not very impressive.

Historically, 30% is as high as I remember them going. But, you get a 'dynamic discount' style system - the more items you buy, the bigger the additional discount on your overall purchase.

• Like 2

^^ Also be sure to log into your account when looking at prices to see your member discount. The discount ramps up pretty fast when buying things in sets of 3 (almost to 50%), then the discount tapers off the more you buy (peaks at around 63% if you get everything at once). I posted a graph of that several years ago, but found it in this post from 2019.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

^^ Also be sure to log into your account when looking at prices to see your member discount. The discount ramps up pretty fast when buying things in sets of 3 (almost to 50%), then the discount tapers off the more you buy (peaks at around 63% if you get everything at once). I posted a graph of that several years ago, but found it in this post from 2019.

Even their highest discount still makes them significantly more expensive than the OTS group buy bundles, so unless you’re looking for their ethnic stuff, there's better value options out there IMO.

Also, I don’t like that that they’re using standalone plugins because I‘m paranoid about devs upgrading slowly or not at all and me not being able to use my stuff anymore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jngnz said:

<snip>

Also, I don’t like that that they’re using standalone plugins because I‘m paranoid about devs upgrading slowly or not at all and me not being able to use my stuff anymore.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stand-alone" plugins but I love those VSTis that use a custom interface. They can optimize the playability of the instrument that way. Amplesound's interface and engine is quite nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fret_man said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "stand-alone" plugins but I love those VSTis that use a custom interface. They can optimize the playability of the instrument that way. Amplesound's interface and engine is quite nice.

I mean it's not Kontakt, basically. I do like the plugins and they work great, but on Mac, you have to be paranoid about every dev that isn't a major one and releases updates days after every MacOS update.

10 hours ago, jngnz said:

I don't think that's paranoid,  I think that's a well reasoned case. I've tried to persuade numerous small developers out of creating their own proprietary sample player plugins. I understand the reasons that they want to do them. It's usually a combination of not wanting to deal with licensing costs for a sample player, the limitations and inconveniences of coding a library for a certain sample player, and sometimes, their concern that a plugin developer isn't focused sufficiently on anti-piracy efforts (this is a criticism I've heard from numerous developers about NI)... But you're completely right in your concern, jngnz. A small sample dev that decides to make their own plugins presents a number of legitimate concerns for sample users. I've seen too many small devs fail to manage being plugin developers well over time and too many close up and then customers are left with a sample library for a dead end plugin that could cease to work with the next OS update. It's a major reason why I primarily stay in the KONTAKT ecosystem when it comes to sample libraries. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, jngnz said:

I share your concern not to be able to use the stuff you paid for in certain cases! But as far as my experience goes, I am more worried about online authorizations. These include the risque that you cannot reactivate/install your software on a system with hardware update anymore (many possible cases).

• Like 1

What kind of authorization do Ample Sound libraries use? I see that some Chinese instruments use iLok, but what about their guitars? I agree about them being really good, I wish they were a bit more affordable to a hobbyist like me :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milan said:

What kind of authorization do Ample Sound libraries use? I see that some Chinese instruments use iLok, but what about their guitars? I agree about them being really good, I wish they were a bit more affordable to a hobbyist like me :) 

You might try one - the Martin acoustic is an excellent starting point.  Just to get the hang of it. Some excellent step by step info on how to use these is on YouTube.  Very good sound!

11 hours ago, Milan said:

The Chinese series use iLok; the others use online authorisation - I believe it's a one-time operation to activate. They have two free lite instruments to get started with:

https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=7

https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=19

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:59 PM, Milan said:

Ample Sound uses internal FX processing which can be turned off and allows you to run external FX chains (amp sims and the like). With that in mind, you can pick and choose instruments to widen recording options. If I were to choose only one electric it would be the Hellrazer (has bass covered), then the acoustic side either the Martin or Taylor and probably the 12 string. Depends on your needs, of course, but getting things dissimilar allows for the most bang for the buck. The freebies alone are quite usable (definitely start there to see how you like their ecosystem).

Edited by mettelus

On 7/21/2023 at 2:36 AM, jngnz said:

Even their highest discount still makes them significantly more expensive

I put 3 guitars in my cart (after logging into my account) and it came to $188 - about $63 per guitar.   

I think that's very reasonable for these high quality instruments.

• Like 4

On 7/21/2023 at 11:32 AM, PavlovsCat said:

But you're completely right in your concern, jngnz. A small sample dev that decides to make their own plugins presents a number of legitimate concerns for sample users. I've seen too many small devs fail to manage being plugin developers well over time and too many close up and then customers are left with a sample library for a dead end plugin that could cease to work with the next OS update. It's a major reason why I primarily stay in the KONTAKT ecosystem when it comes to sample libraries. 

I try to support the little guy as often as I can, but on this other hand, this is the number one reason I think twice about buying from them.    I seem to remember that someone was working on a free Kontakt alternative that any developer could access.   If that would catch on it might be one way to help the little guy gain a better share in the market.

6 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

I put 3 guitars in my cart (after logging into my account) and it came to $188 - about $63 per guitar.   

I think that's very reasonable for these high quality instruments.

Not saying it isn't, but buying an OTS bundle makes single instruments like $30 and you can sell the ones you don't like for $40 to $60 each.