Downtown, Collab with Pro sax player

KSband

On the sax forum I hang out on there was a collab challenge to write a song with someone else on the forum. So I put this track on there, I had not found a great melody for it. One of the sax pros on there took the bait and put in some really amazing stuff (his name is Alex Nyman from New Zealand). I got the files from him and just finished the track. He does all the horn work on this, including the super cool wah wah sax solo. I used my ZZC PJ bass on this, fishman midi guitar for the keyboard and my cheapie strat on the lead.

• Like 3

Such a clean mix, groovy groove, and how wonderful to collaborate with a talent like that! On my studio monitors, lots of clarity up top, as befits the saxes, but the bass guitar and kick drum might stand up just a bit more down low. Did you monitor on speakers that give a good picture of the below 200hz area? Of course your tune is Steely Dannish and you might prefer that super controlled bass.

Really excellent, a pleasure to listen to, thanks!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for the listen and comments @PhonoBrainer, @Bajan Blue, @jack c.. I feel like the low end of my mixing is my problem area, it's hard for me to tell if I have too little or too much. I actually turned down the bass settings on this after listening on a couple sets of my headphones, it seemed over powering. I think I need to start using a reference track when I do mix down.

• Like 1

Very Clean ..  This was the first time hearing a sax thru a Wah ! Very cool and I loved the under and overtones. The midi guitar was also excellent.   I think you did a wonderful job of capturing a Steely Dan vibe , intentional or not.  Loved it ..

mark

• Like 1

Well you knocked everyone into touch with this bit of work .. only a few people here can produce such talent  .... soo good  .. one of my favs now .. just for the record I liked the first mix better .. B|

Steve

Edited by Supa Reels