InMusic Purchases Moog - Definitely No Deal

husker

4 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

It's a mixed bag really, so I'm not sure this is a bad thing, as InMusic seems to let companies run themselves as they were. With a lot of brands you wouldn't know they are part of InMusic nowadays. Let's take a look at some, and this is just what I observe so I might be wrong.

- Alesis? Still doing what Alesis did, mostly drumkits and MIDI keyboards. No devalue.

Alesis now bundles a new BFD Player with some of their drum kits, so that's integration (Alesis and BFD) that makes sense.

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/command-mesh-special-edition

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/surge-mesh-special-edition

Free Premium Sound Pack & BFD Player Software

Connect your drum kit to a PC or Mac via USB and unlock an expanding library of add-on premium drum kits with BFD Player. Featuring meticulously recorded drum sounds that are great for practice or recording into your favorite DAW, BFD Player is a plugin and standalone software instrument that delivers top-notch drum sounds with a simple-to-use interface.

https://www.bfddrums.com/drum-software/bfd-player.html

Edited by ALC
  • Great Idea 1

21 minutes ago, ALC said:

Alesis now bundles a new BFD Player with some of their drum kits, so that's integration (Alesis and BFD) that makes sense.

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/command-mesh-special-edition

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/surge-mesh-special-edition

Free Premium Sound Pack & BFD Player Software

Connect your drum kit to a PC or Mac via USB and unlock an expanding library of add-on premium drum kits with BFD Player. Featuring meticulously recorded drum sounds that are great for practice or recording into your favorite DAW, BFD Player is a plugin and standalone software instrument that delivers top-notch drum sounds with a simple-to-use interface.

https://www.bfddrums.com/drum-software/bfd-player.html

I agree, that makes a lot of sense. The same with the MPC sound packs from Air. Knowing that they also have AKAI, it makes sense. Seems they are set out to combine products/brands that complement eachother. And not just to get a bigger marketshare (Soundwide...).

As an owner of several Moog products (software and hardware) I'm curious where this will go. But I'm not afraid for the future.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

Even there I'm not so sure. Perhaps they lack in support for some of their older products (Xpand!2, TheRiser, Loom2, Hybrid 3, etc.)? But I never viewed them as high end stuff worthy of much more development other than keeping it working.

That is exactly my point. Few people spend time exploring these synths, because a) they are cheap and b) are believed to be unsupported.   Much better to get something like Pigments, which has so many free updates.  

If Spitfire put out Albion One for $29.99, they might make a lot of money, because they would sell a ton of them.  But it would destroy their brand.  Few would want to pay full price for anything, because who knows how much they might be discounted in the future?

And that's the way I feel about absolutely anything AIR comes out with now.   Products for $99.99?  They may be great, but I'm not going to buy them.  InMusic has tainted the perception of the entire brand.

And Moog is not the same as Marantz or Alesis.  Their products can easily be converted to software.  And have been.  There are the Moogerfoogers and Model D and Model 15 already are on the iPad.   The Moog name means something today.  So we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

I think the brand image damage InMusic has created is far worse than just reflecting the impact of deep discounting -- although that is certainly one aspect of their past strategy. They've established a reputation for neglecting the software brands they've purchased and for making very buggy updates without doing fixes for extended periods of time.  Considering that they've done this with multiple brands (e.g, AIR and  BFD), I think the master brand (InMusic) has become tainted by this history to the point when a software brand has been acquired by them,  some consumers are going to be suspicious of them --me included.  Now, I don't think that negative brand image necessarily extends to hardware,  but it does encompass software. 

I keep thinking of the developer(s) /owners whose work was taken over by these buyouts.

If you're getting on in your years, or just want to move on to something else, why not sell out for some clean cash and leave all the hassles to someone else.

What's less clear to me is what's in it for the one doing the buying.  Seems all they get for their trouble is a bad rep.

34 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I keep thinking of the developer(s) /owners whose work was taken over by these buyouts.

If you're getting on in your years, or just want to move on to something else, why not sell out for some clean cash and leave all the hassles to someone else.

What's less clear to me is what's in it for the one doing the buying.  Seems all they get for their trouble is a bad rep.

The reasons for buying an established older brand that has seen better days is that it already has awareness  built up and getting that level of awareness for a new brand is very costly. However,  awareness doesn't always equal viability. Many times companies will buy a faded brand past its prime as a bargain to be a cash cow. 

I used to consult to an automotive brand that purchased a bunch of old, past their prime, brands in an effort to use the products they already made (as a contract packager) and capitalize on the awareness of the brands they purchased; they could command a higher price putting these out with the old brands they bought than spending significantly more money trying to build a new brand which would be a lot riskier.  Consider how InMusic did that with BFD, a once top notch drum plugin that was long past its prime. InMusic likely thought there was an opportunity to pump a small investment into the brand to receive a decent return on investment. Whereas building a new brand drum plugin from  the ground up would cost a lot more for development and for building a brand and have a much higher degree of risk of failure. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

Oh btw, not quite the same but still worthy of attention, what did the acquisition of Sequential by Focusrite / Novation do 2 years ago? Besides making it damn near impossibly to purchase a Prophet 6 desktop 😅

The OB module!

47 minutes ago, Fleer said:

The OB module!

I've been eyeballing that one too, in case a Prophet 6 becomes a no-go. I should deepdive in the differences. Still, both very expensive and a long term wishlist thing. My point was, I haven't seen much or any negative consequences regarding that particular acquisition. Is this the same? Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. I'm just keeping my torch and pickfork nicely tucked away for the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, not so great news. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess it's done. Get your Moogs second hand people. My prediction (as if that's worth something after my 'wait and see comments 😜) is that the 'made in Asheville' products will be in higher demand than the 'made in Asia' stuff.

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/inmusic-has-fired-a-large-portion-of-the-moog-staff-a-sad-day-for-synth-industry.html

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Interesting comments (synthanatomy article) representing different sides of the complex set of issues.  JMO: Only time will tell.

Indeed. As I read it, it seems that Moog was in deep trouble and for some time. So it could have been a case of rigorous measures or going down. That doesn't mean that InMusic is a white savior. But in this particular case not really the bad guy. More of a necessary 'evil'? 

20 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

Well, not so great news. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but I guess it's done. Get your Moogs second hand people. My prediction (as if that's worth something after my 'wait and see comments 😜) is that the 'made in Asheville' products will be in higher demand than the 'made in Asia' stuff.

https://synthanatomy.com/2023/09/inmusic-has-fired-a-large-portion-of-the-moog-staff-a-sad-day-for-synth-industry.html

I have no doubt that "Made In Ashville" Moogs will be worth considerably more.

I got rid of my MoogOne... but picked up a Model-D reissue.

Wasn't crazy about the cost... but it's a lot lower than the $10-$12k for a vintage Model-D.

Those prices will likely now go even higher.

Feel for the employees!

Wonder how warranty/repairs will be handled...

As bad a reputation as Behringer has had, I think they've done a pretty reasonable job of keeping Midas, Klark Teknik, and TC Electronic on-par and on course.

In-Music has done "okay" with Akai... but (IMO) it's not the same as when Roger Linn was involved.

Economic realities of manufacturing in the US.

The MoogOne 16-voice is now back in stock at Sweetwater.

Cost is now $10k.

It's been going up the past several years.

Many folks just can't (or won't) pay that much for a 16-voice analog synth.

I paid $7800 nearly two years ago (went to Sweetwater with a load of gear to trade-in).

I was hoping it would be my one/only... end-all be-all analog synth.

MoogOne is amazing in some ways... and terribly frustrating in others.

Without Bob, I just don't think Moog was (is) the same.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...