Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

3 minutes ago, Meltopia said:

To express one's concern about what will happen to the old program is completely legitimate. 

I was not challenging your right (legitimacy) to worry.  I was offering what I thought was a helpful suggestion.  You can worry all you want.  

However, I would rather read information about the products (new info as it becomes available) instead of people rehashing the same-old same-old expressions of worrying.

Let me be clear, I never said that worrying wasn't a legitimate human reaction to any sort of news.  Trust me, at my ripe old age, I have done tons of worrying.  So I understand perfectly what goes into worrying.

Worry on!!!! 

Peace.

13 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Maybe if you would render all your tracks out as .wav....

Exactly.  This is how you should archive tracks and guard against old plugins not working. Run stems or track outs  - then it doesn't matter what happens. You can still reconstruct the track in an editable form.

Example from today's session . Everything the Music Library requests so they have some options when working to picture.  

image.png.735fcd2b25fc68e4b1ab7cd89104d342.png

For those who think that might be a PITA it's much quicker than in the pre-DAW days , we had to make a safety copy of the tape and then write down all the settings for the outboard gear !        

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 2

Rendering  is definitely not something I want to pursue. We are talking thousands of individual tracks/take lanes.  A local license for old Sonar Home  or even better last patched CwB will put this to rest for a long time for backup purposes (yes, even if it will be a paid option).  I am also aware that there are some converters out there that will decipher / convert Cakewalk projects. But a working backup copy of older original software is obviously better choice as it give much more control.   I think, an older  i7 / 6 core Thinkpad  with 16gb ram mothballed with battery taken out and everything duplicated to flash drive is a good enough plan for backup for my needs.

I am looking forward to new releases and to what Jesse said.  Perhaps bakers already worked something out that will take care  of this.  I got to stop typing now and finish up mixing my tune. Thank you all who supported my woodpecker like licensing requests. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

For those who think that might be a PITA it's much quicker than in the pre-DAW days , we had to make a safety copy of the tape and then write down all the settings for the outboard gear !

51127062_319038265400814_4075454816036323328_n.jpg.994db14919091e5b980f15839805867d.jpg

Just one more setting... just one more setting... :( 

It was a different time...!

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Isn't that why an unlocked / one-time only activation version of Home Studio was made available (so that people would continue to have access to their projects)? 

The problem is that this only works as long as there are no hardware/system changes. As soon as your system id changes you are required to re-authorize and in this case you depend on the authorization server again!

For me this is a crucial thing, especially on my recording system that is still W7! Would I be able to install (I have installer backups) and re-authorize CbB if I once jump to W10? But also on my mixing machine, if I replace some hardware and the system id changes, is a re-authorize possible?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Maybe if you would render all your tracks out as .wav....

I always do this and backup them. But this does neither save all your mixing information in the projects, nor does it help if you still want to use Splat or CbB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I was not challenging your right (legitimacy) to worry.  I was offering what I thought was a helpful suggestion.  You can worry all you want.  

However, I would rather read information about the products (new info as it becomes available) instead of people rehashing the same-old same-old expressions of worrying.

Let me be clear, I never said that worrying wasn't a legitimate human reaction to any sort of news.  Trust me, at my ripe old age, I have done tons of worrying.  So I understand perfectly what goes into worrying.

Worry on!!!! 

Peace.

Don't worry about it mate.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Jost said:

Your request is heard! We hold everyone's concerns in mind, but please be patient for pricing announcements, which are to come later this year. There's need for panic or wild speculation in the interim.

Just understand that we won't be commenting on pricing specifics until the information is made publicly available, on the website, along with additional, enlightening big picture information. In the meantime, focus on making tracks and, as always, keep your feedback coming on the product side of things. 😁

Thanks! 

Except the question you're responding to was not about pricing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Exactly.  This is how you should archive tracks and guard against old plugins not working. Run stems or track outs  - then it doesn't matter what happens. You can still reconstruct the track in an editable form.

Example from today's session . Everything the Music Library requests so they have some options when working to picture.  

image.png.735fcd2b25fc68e4b1ab7cd89104d342.png

And in case you don't want to print the effects in your stems you're gonna have to do the exact same thing you did with a tape setup, so the only real improvement is rendering the audio faster. But the amount of time spent taking note of the settings essentially take away all the time you gained bouncing audio.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Like 1

My excitement about "4k" and "scalable" UI caused some questions/confusion, so I wanted to elaborate (speculate) based on Jesse's response:

1. It sounds like those who want the existing scale/size of Cakewalk to stay the same will be able to have that. The update will not force your UI to be giant.

2. When I said "scalable" I meant that the UI will scale to match Windows's scaling setting. It already does!  It's just blurry, right now, when scaled. With the vector based update, it will not be blurry. (Depending on how they code it, they could put the scaling % in the preferences so it can be independent of Windows scaling.)

3. If you don't want the scaling -- as with all applications you can set it in the shortcut's "Change high DPI settings" option. This is something they could add in the preferences as well.

4. Other applications have proven that vector based UI doesn't have to be a performance problem. If they encounter performance issues, they can use a process that bakes scaled images based on the resolution needed, at which case performance is identical to bitmap. One of the Cakewalk engineers alluded to this (or something like it) as a solution if necessary. Bottom line? They got it covered!

So there's no reason to panic about the vector update! It's only a good thing... And it will make Cakewalk viable for more users. Understand that right now any 4k laptop is stuck with microscopic UI or very blurry UI. The update will solve that!

And anyone whose vision isn't what it once was, even on a 32 inch 4k monitor Cakewalk is a little small. 125% or 150% is perfect (or will be, once the vector update is released.)

PS. Even if you don't need the vector update, it's represents something very positive from Bandlab: This is the type of update you do when you have long term plans for a product. It bodes well for the future! Let's help the team have a successful launch, and SONAR can grow as the userbase does!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cyanide Lovesong said:

PS. Even if you don't need the vector update, it's represents something very positive from Bandlab: This is the type of update you do when you have long term plans for a product. It bodes well for the future! Let's help the team have a successful launch, and SONAR can grow as the userbase does!

Absolutely!   Plus I can relate to the eyesight not being what it use to be and I never had good eyesight to begin with.

• Like 2

Thanks @Cyanide Lovesong. We have the ability to turn on/off DPI scaling at the app level and also at the individual plugin level so it's all backwards compatible. See below.

image.png

image.png

Also, to the naysayers, we have decades of experience writing Windows software and worked directly with Microsoft engineers with some of this DPI stuff over the years. Rest assured we know what we're doing, probably more than most others in our industry at least for Windows! 
So far we haven't had any performance issues issues, but as you say dynamically baking bitmaps is a fallback that we discussed a long time ago if it was ever necessary to do.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks @Cyanide Lovesong. We have the ability to turn on/off DPI scaling at the app level and also at the individual plugin level so its all backwards compatible.
Also, to the naysayers, we have decades of experience writing Windows software and worked directly with Microsoft engineers with some of this DPI stuff over the years. Rest assured we know what we're doing, probably more than most others in our industry at least for Windows! 
So far we haven't had any performance issues issues, but as you say dynamically baking bitmaps is a fallback that we discussed a long time ago if it was ever necessary to do.

It's important to note the amount of people which don't own 4k displays vastly outnumber the amount of people that do. As long as this is kept in mind, rather than making an interface which requires you to have a 4k display in order to have any semblance of screen space, things should be fine. Because examples so far are either an application which doesn't scale properly for 4k displays or an application which only scales properly on 4 k displays.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

The thing I'm getting from this vector based UI is you're not locked to any resolution, either large or small. It's not a set "this is a 132px x 181px graphic" it's a "I want to draw this line from this point to that point, then fill it with this colour, do this dynamically" thing, which is entirely independent of any screen resolution. Someone mentioned fonts earlier in the thread and that's a great analogy. Sure, this will scale better on super large monitors, but there's also no reason to think that it couldn't be scaled the other way (to a reasonable degree anyway) to cater for smaller screens.

• Like 1