Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

7 minutes ago, Meltopia said:

I'm more worried about how long the activation will last once the other programs come out. If I never updated my computer would cakewalk keep working? My music PC rarely goes online and I'd be quite happy to keep it completely offline and continue with WIN10 and Cakewalk as it's only used for music. But will I be able to do that?

Read the previous posts earlier in the topic on this matter. Just scroll to the  beginning. 

Yeah, I'm saying the same thing Will, if I have interpreted the developers comments correctly. But at some point CbB will end but existing installations will continue to work. Sonar will live on.

I think this is a fair concession to the CbB people that helped make it better. If we like the Sonar UI we can switch to it. I'm excited to see it and if I like it, hopefully I can afford it!

While we can argue costs, have the Cakewalk developers ever given us crap? A few bugs, yes, but the products themselves have always delivered. That will continue.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GaleOm said:

Will UI of Cakewalks plugins also be scalable?

All the DPI awareness work done was for the Sonar application. Cakewalk Next is already vector based.

Cakewalk Sonar is a hybrid DPI aware application. Plugin's need to be independently made DPI aware for them to be scalable. By default, Sonar assumes that plugins are DPI aware and if there are scaling problems noted it can be disabled on a per plugin basis. There is a new "Enhanced Display Scaling" option in the plugin properties settings to control this.
However only a few Cakewalk plugins are fully DPI aware - for example the prochannel modules. For the others you may have to disable the per plugin "Enhanced Display Scaling" for them to work. When Enhanced Display Scaling is off we rely on Windows to handle the scaling when running high dpi monitors.
In the future we may update some cakewalk plugins to also be DPI aware like we're doing with Sonar but it's not on the roadmap ATM.
IOW High DPI support is not available across the board for all plugins. It depends on the specific plugin.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Will. said:

Read the previous posts earlier in the topic on this matter. Just scroll to the  beginning. 

I'm more worried about how long the activation will last once the other programs come out. If I never updated my computer would cakewalk keep working? My music PC rarely goes online and I'd be quite happy to keep it completely offline and continue with WIN10 and Cakewalk as it's only used for music. But will I be able to do that?

10 minutes ago, Will. said:

I haven't seen an answer to this question.

Edited by Meltopia

14 minutes ago, Will. said:

So far there's no answer to that. We keep hearing about how current CbB will not be taken away and will remain free with one last update...And no words on if the 6 month period where you're forced to re-activate your license will remain. If yes, then there's nothing preventing Bandlab from pulling the plug on it at any point. Because all they'd have to do is take the license activation server for that version away without any modifications on the software itself.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Agreed. Not all questions have been answered and the developers have been clear that they are not prepared to answer these questions yet. So continuing to pound them over it is futile.

We will just have to continue to vibrate and squirm in our chairs until they do.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Terry Kelley said:

Agreed. Not all questions have been answered and the developers have been clear that they are not prepared to answer these questions yet. So continuing to pound them over it is futile.

They haven't said anything about the 6 month re-activation period nor have they stated they're not prepared to talk about it. They've only said they can't say anything about pricing and subscriptions yet.

51 minutes ago, Meltopia said:

I'm more worried about how long the activation will last once the other programs come out. 

No need to worry; I am sure we will find out in due time. 

• Here's how I look at it:
    • If the 6-month activation requirement will be in effect after the final CbB update,
      • we will have 6 months after that final update to make alternate plans if we so desire.
    • If the 6-month activation requirement is gone,
      • worrying between now and then will have been a waste of time
        • for the worrier,
        • for people who reply,
        • for people who  have to sort through the same-old same-old discussion that is going around in circles getting nowhere fast,
        • etc.

Don't worry; be happy!!

Edited by User 905133
clarification added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyV said:

If you read my post you will see I said “ Other than Splat “ Sonar Platinum , Splat, was the first version to require servers.  And once activated never needs the server again until you install it to a new machine or change your C drive.  
X3 and backwards as well as Most of the add ins came with there own installers and serial numbers. Worst case scenario for me would be returning to using X3. I’ll do that before I change DAWs. 

I'm with you here...

I've got too many decades of learning, skills, and techniques working with this wonderful Cakewalk/Sonar product. I have less than zero intention of changing now... If for no other reason is I still believe it's the best DAW available!

I have others and never use them though I have learned how. I just don't like their' systems...

I would miss some things if I had to go back that far, but better than the alternative for me...

Will SonitusFX be still included in upcoming Cakewalk Sonar?
I'm not the only one who loves them. There are many beautiful reviews about how they work and sound.
Discontinuing them just because they are DirectX and look old would be sad.

• Like 6

Noel, 

you are a wonderful programmer and a very dedicated and helpful person. I have zero complains about how Cakewalk was developed in the past 5 years  and looking forward to versions that will come soon. 

I get that this is likely is not up to you...

However, it shouldn't be hard to understand to why I repeatedly insist  that at least  versions sold under Gibson should be permanently unlocked for those who bought them.   Simply to have a peace of mind that  I would be able to revisit tunes wrote within past 20+ years and not be dependent on a server that might or might not work in the future.  Insurance / security whatever terminology fits better. 

I belong to another forum, where people often re-mix their tunes from decades ago.  Senior folks.  I can totally see myself tinkering with early stuff when I retire. It is unlikely that I will be using 2017 for re-mixing and do other technical things, but that version will give me the ability to export individual stems with their volume automations,  and among a few other things properly. Very likely Sonar will be around and backward compatible .., but things might change.  Those older projects of mine will not. 

I would very much would like to get some kind of input on this. 

Thanks.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

I haven't seen anything to suggest they'll be taking any effects or instruments away at all.

Furthermore, in the Sonar thumbnails of the website it appears again the LPhase-EQ. I don't know what to think about that, but have to suppose that it comes back again along with LPhase-Multiband (and hopefully Adaptive Limiter).

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Misha said:

However, it shouldn't be hard to understand to why I repeatedly insist  that at least  versions sold under Gibson should be permanently unlocked for those who bought them.   Simply to have a peace of mind that  I would be able to revisit tunes wrote within past 20+ years and not be dependent on a server that might or might not work in the future.  Insurance / security whatever terminology fits better. 

I belong to another forum, where people often re-mix their tunes from decades ago.  Senior folks.  I can totally see myself tinkering with early stuff when I retire. It is unlikely that I will be using 2017 for re-mixing and do other technical things, but that version will give me the ability to export individual stems with their volume automations,  and among a few other things properly. Very likely Sonar will be around and backward compatible .., but things might change.  Those older projects of mine will not. 

I would very much would like to get some kind of input on this. 

Your request is heard! We hold everyone's concerns in mind, but please be patient for pricing announcements, which are to come later this year. There's no need for panic or wild speculation in the interim.

Just understand that we won't be commenting on pricing specifics until the information is made publicly available, on the website, along with additional, enlightening big picture information. In the meantime, focus on making tracks and, as always, keep your feedback coming on the product side of things. 😁

Thanks! 

Edited by Jesse Jost
there's _no_ need for panic :P
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Jesse, 

Thank you for replying!

I am concerned, but far from panicking. :)  Likely I would be among first to upgrade, as I use Cakewalk almost daily and have no desire to switch to anything else. Ok I will shut up and patiently wait.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

No need to worry; I am sure we will find out in due time. 

• Here's how I look at it:
    • If the 6-month activation requirement will be in effect after the final CbB update,
      • we will have 6 months after that final update to make alternate plans if we so desire.
    • If the 6-month activation requirement is gone,
      • worrying between now and then will have been a waste of time
        • for the worrier,
        • for people who reply,
        • for people who  have to sort through the same-old same-old discussion that is going around in circles getting nowhere fast,
        • etc.

Don't worry; be happy!!

To express one's concern about what will happen to the old program is completely legitimate. Some people have vast back catalogues of projects. It is completely normal to try to find out what is going to happen in order to start preparing old projects to be used with other DAWs, in the event that the new software isn't the right choice for them. Asking this question on this forum is exactly the right way of trying to find an answer. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would rather get on with finding another DAW (or not) sooner rather than later. People need to feel secure with the software that they have invested so much time in, and these unanswered questions do not help towards that.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Misha said:

However, it shouldn't be hard to understand to why I repeatedly insist  that at least  versions sold under Gibson should be permanently unlocked for those who bought them. 

Isn't that why an unlocked / one-time only activation version of Home Studio was made available (so that people would continue to have access to their projects)? 

• Like 1