Free Big Muff plugin from Nembrini Audio. Also available on iOS.

cclarry

By the way, good that I still have one as a hardware unit! No download, installation trouble with that one!

If the music software is going on this way (online, online *****), maybe I will go back to hardware only! Even if you cannot do everything with hardware, it was somehow more relaxing and you had more time to be inspired and creating music (instead of installing installing updating updating all the time)!

• Like 3

I have a couple "boutique" versions that have options like removing the tone stack that makes them sound much better.

Not sure about the marketing here with a reference to Hendrix.  Most think he was given a prototype right before he passed and it likely never made it to a show or real album release.  This associating his sound with the pedal is a major reach.  

Would have a lot more traction mentioning either Gilmour or Corgan who have undeniable connections to using variations of the circuit.  

As for not having trouble with the hardware ones, at this point I can struggle finding a 9v or extra isolated transformer power supply these things need .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Installed!

And the installer too (me lurves download managers/installers*, especially when they tell you what has a an update).

*except IKM, it's bonkers.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

me lurves download managers/installers*, especially when they tell you what has a an update

Each time you call them they tell you that the manager itself has to be updated! 😄

By the way, if each plugin provider would have an install manager, then I would have 134 such beasts on my system! 😉 

That means I would have to

1. update each manager minimum 3 times a year
  2. learn how each one works
  3. find out how I can use them with my offline machine
  4. have an additional disk for the install managers (ok this one is a bit exaggerated 😆)
  5. scroll in a huge program list if I wanted to run something
  6. scroll in a huge list if I wanted to uninstall something

This is my 2 cents to the increasing population of install managers, but YMMV!

In one point I agree with the manager lovers, it is much better to check plugin versions in an install manager than automatically in the plugin. But there would be 2 other solution to this:

• Have a proper version/changelog on the plugins' homepage (my preference, 'cos I want to know if it's worth the update!)
  • Have the possibility to run the version check manually in the plugin.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MarcL said:

In one point I agree with the manager lovers, it is much better to check plugin versions in an install manager than automatically in the plugin. But there would be 2 other solution to this:

• Have a proper version/changelog on the plugins' homepage (my preference, 'cos I want to know if it's worth the update!)

100% agree with your last 2 points and I mostly agree with you otherwise - except - that I am leaning towards liking plugin managers in general. However, a poorly executed one is almost as bad as individually updating a bunch of plugins. (Hornet, I'm looking at you. :) )

The best installers that pop to mind are Kilohearts and Arturia and Tokyo Dawn.  They are all nicely streamlined and tell you if you need an update.  I wish Kuassa had one.  I have a handful of their plugins and I'm right at the tipping point of buying their full bundle. Updating all of the individual plugins is a total pita...

• Great Idea 1

56 minutes ago, mibby said:

Updating all of the individual plugins is a total pita...

Yes it is, but I always ask myself whether I really need so many plugins? 😆

Having a lot of plugins of one provider you are right that if your system is online, then an install manager maybe convienient! On the other hand all those installation managers make it worse if

• you have an offline system or
  • you have only 1-3 plugins of that provider.

That's why I like vendors like PA that have an optional install manager!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarcL said:

By the way, if each plugin provider would have an install manager, then I would have 134 such beasts on my system! 😉 

That means I would have to

1. update each manager minimum 3 times a year
  2. learn how each one works
  3. find out how I can use them with my offline machine
  4. have an additional disk for the install managers (ok this one is a bit exaggerated 😆)
  5. scroll in a huge program list if I wanted to run something
  6. scroll in a huge list if I wanted to uninstall something

This is my 2 cents to the increasing population of install managers, but YMMV!

I've suggested some ideas to help with this problem on a couple forums and was shot down. For example, a Steam type marketplace app like there is for gaming, where all manufacturers sell their products, and also acts as installation, copy protection, etc.  So everything you own is on one app, and the "Steam" app can focus on security and e-commerce, while the developers can focus on their products.

Easier said then done, but really this 'every-developer-needs-there-own-damn-product-manager' horseshit has been a bane of the audio software industry for 20 years. I guess it's better than the days were you had to save all those pieces of paper and boxes with serial numbers, and drag 'em out every time you did a new system install. Glad that's over with. 

But really - something has to change. It's just going to get worse and worse with these proprietary ecosystems, and it must be affecting sales, as there are a few developers I don't buy from because I don't want another damn piece of software on my system just for one or two plugins / instruments.

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Carl Ewing said:

I've suggested some ideas to help with this problem on a couple forums and was shot down. For example, a Steam type marketplace app like there is for gaming, where all manufacturers sell their products, and also acts as installation, copy protection, etc.  So everything you own is on one app, and the "Steam" app can focus on security and e-commerce, while the developers can focus on their products.

Uh...Apart from the app, this is exactly what Plugin Alliance and Plugin Boutique do.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Carl Ewing said:

Easier said then done, but really this 'every-developer-needs-there-own-damn-product-manager' horseshit has been a bane of the audio software industry for 20 years. I guess it's better than the days were you had to save all those pieces of paper and boxes with serial numbers, and drag 'em out every time you did a new system install. Glad that's over with. 

But really - something has to change. It's just going to get worse and worse with these proprietary ecosystems, and it must be affecting sales, as there are a few developers I don't buy from because I don't want another damn piece of software on my system just for one or two plugins / instruments.

This is the usual behavior of companies which are run by people so scared with rampant piracy which does not exist, they spend more time working on endless anti-piracy schemes instead of improving their software. Heck, Image-Line even encourages their users to snitch and rat out other people using pirate versions of their software. Download managers are just a variant of that. Without it, they can't keep track of how many users their software should have based on the profit or page hits they received.

Uh...Apart from the app, this is exactly what Plugin Alliance and Plugin Boutique do.

No. Not the same as what I'm talking about. PA's is a proprietary installer for their products (and a limited range of 3rd party plugins they sell).  And Plugin Boutique doesn't even have a desktop installer so what are you talking about?

You've used Steam before? You've used the app store on your phone? You've used the XBOX or Playstation store? This is what I'm talking about. One app, on your desktop, hundreds of developers, sales, registration, installation and updating from one single app.  Just like Steam.

And just like Steam it would allow for an enormous community ecosystem of reviews, tutorials, forums, and a robust platform for developers to advertise their products. Just like Steam there could be sales seasons / promotional focus for indie developers,  section specifically for iOS / Android apps, a whole section on freebies, spotlights on artists, producers and sound designers, industry news, multi-language / region support, ability to preorder or reminders for upcoming releases. Just a massive platform and community for audio software. Instead of the totally fragmented disaster zone (and software security & ecommerce nightmare) it is now.

To put the industry in context - the global DAW market (including all audio / music software instruments, plugins, DAWs) was $2.49 billion in 2021, and projected to double and hit $4.95 billion 2027. And that entire market is more fragmented than ever, with 100s of developers competing for their own proprietary ecosystem. It's like having 80 Netflix apps to watch movies from each studio. It's ludicrous. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Great Idea 1