Cherry Audio Goes NFR ( not a deal)

kevin H

Saw this in another forum so posted here as well since I was not aware.

From Cherry Audio Website:

Can I transfer my Cherry Audio licenses to another user?

Effective May 1st, 2023, Cherry Audio products purchased through the Cherry Audio store or authorized resellers will no longer be eligible for license transfers.
Customers who have purchased products prior to May 1st, 2023 are able to request transfers until August 1st, 2023. During that time the same policies apply:

Bundles can not be pieced out - they must be transferred as a bundle.

Synth Stack licenses must be transferred as a whole - individual synths can't be transferred out of the Synth Stack.

The first outgoing transfer under an account is free. Each additional transfer has a $10 fee. Each unique recipient is considered a new transfer, but a transfer can have multiple licenses.

We understand that this may be an inconvenience for some customers, but we believe that our generous trial period and accessible prices offer a low-risk purchase.
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy change, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

10 hours ago, TheSteven said:

:( <sigh> I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Modular is not everyone's cup of tea and I'm sure a lot of people jump in and then never come to terms with it and then at some point look to sell it.

While Voltage Modular was their start, the standalone Cherry synths have now become as big a part of their business model. All reasonably priced, but the original terms allowed for resale.

I think that changing the rules after a sale for any reason is not a good way to do business. And I have a pretty fair sized collection of Cherry products, including Core. I'm not planning on selling any of it, but I can understand why some folks might be upset with their new "business model".

Edit: changed above for clarification as I cannot find any Cherry Audio statement pertaining to "original terms" guaranteeing license transfer. But allowing transfers has clearly been part of their business model up until now.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

OUCH! 

I had been thinking that after I die, my kids would be able to recoup some of what I paid for my soft synths by selling them after the kids inherit everything.  But with the new rules, it seems like I will have to try to sell my Cherry Audio synths by August 1st otherwise my investment will be instantly worthless. 

That suck's out loud.

The kids are not into synths and making music otherwise I'd transfer ownership now so they can use the synths. 

Looks like I'll have to bundle all of them except a few that I want to use in my remaining lifespan and try to sell them en masse.

Thanks for the heads up!!!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I think that changing the rules after a sale for any reason is not a good way to do business. And I have a pretty fair sized collection of Cherry products, including Core. I'm not planning on selling any of it, but I can understand why some folks might be upset with their new "business model".

For me, I can easily decide to keep a few of the soft synths I have collected and try to sell the rest, but VM presents a problem.  It would be very difficult to divyy up the collection of modules and bundles into ones to keep and ones to sell.

Even though I don't need any of the CA products included in the recent Humble Bundle now, $20 + might be wise.  With Nucleus and Ignite, I could include Core in any pre-August 1st sale I choose to do.  I would especially miss the Plug-in Hosts, but this mid-course business model change requires some re-thinking. 

UPDATE: The Level Up! Bundle is $20+.  I have changed that above.  Also, for the 5 CA keys (CA2600, VM Ignite, Galactic Reverb, Memory Mode, and PS-20), the Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio key , and the $25 Soundtrack Loops Voucher "The redemption deadline is October 31, 2023 at 11:00:00 AM PDT."  

Edited by User 905133
to add details about the Level Up Humble Bundle

Well another thing to consider is that the re-sale value of Cherry Audio products likely just went way down as well.

Good luck with re-sales as everyone rushes to the exits. That's kind of like a bank run as everybody tries to withdraw their deposits at once.

Edited by abacab
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, abacab said:

Well another thing to consider is that the re-sale value of Cherry Audio products likely just went way down as well.

Good luck with re-sales as everyone rushes to the exits. That's kind of like a bank run as everybody tries to withdraw their deposits at once.

When I saw the announcement it made me wonder how much people were actually getting for these they they thought it was a threat to the business to change the model.

Honestly I would have assumed you could pick most of them up used for $5-15 as plugins are generally pretty worthless when it comes to resale.

• Like 1

@Niky Serrano @jngnz

Did you realize that using the thumbs down "meh" response to a post subtracts from the users reputation count? It really intended to be used for something you disagree with in the users post.

If the user is just sharing bad news with the community, IMO it is unfriendly to ding them for that. Suggest using a sad face instead... 😢

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

@Niky Serrano @jngnz

Did you realize that using the thumbs down "meh" response to a post subtracts from the users reputation count? It really intended to be used for something you disagree with in the users post.

If the user is just sharing bad news with the community, IMO it is unfriendly to ding them for that. Suggest using a sad face instead... 😢

Ops!

I'm sorry... the thumb down for me is not for @kevin H but about the news

I have just removed the icon I used because I didn't know that the reputation count was involved with the icon I used 

Thanks for explaining the implications about this @abacab

Edited by Niky Serrano
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, abacab said:

@Niky Serrano @jngnz

Thanks, didn’t know that either. After all this time …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Does anyone really care though? It's not as if it counts for anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

Ops!

I'm sorry... the thumb down for me is not for @kevin H but about the news

I have just removed the icon I used because I didn't know that the reputation count was involved with the icon I used 

Thanks for explaining the implications about this @abacab

Same. Didn't realise. Sorry.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TheSteven said:

:( <sigh> I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Modular is not everyone's cup of tea and I'm sure a lot of people jump in and then never come to terms with it and then at some point look to sell it. 

It doesn't help that Cherry is not a heavy hitter when it's competing against Reaktor, Softube Modular and VCV Rack.