Cherry Audio Goes NFR ( not a deal)

kevin H

On 4/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, abacab said:

@Niky Serrano @jngnz

Did you realize that using the thumbs down "meh" response to a post subtracts from the users reputation count? It really intended to be used for something you disagree with in the users post.

If the user is just sharing bad news with the community, IMO it is unfriendly to ding them for that. Suggest using a sad face instead... 😢

I purchased my cakewalk forum account used, on the aftermarket, just so I could start with those 20 likes, for the status! Bought it off some sucker for  $0.07

• Haha 1

Even if Cherry Audio's synths sound quite good, their installation, authorization and update practices are very intrusive! I don't like that at all!

E.g. they do some kind of after-installation during the authorization process. Like that you really don't know what's going on, how much storage is used, very shady! Also the configuration of the update policy is not quite clear. When I wanted to install a new module in Voltage Modular the product itself was updated (what I did not want)! Frankly, I distrust such companies!

Well, I've spent hundreds on Cherry Audio stuff, and here's my thinking - we get free updates, from Voltage Modular 1 to Voltage Modular 2. And their stuff is cheap - we're not talking $800 Ableton Live here. . . we're talking $40, $20 on sale, or $1 if you're buying through Humble Bundle right now.  These aren't manors or titles that we're handing to our descendants. I don't have any recollection of updates being intrusive - there's an icon that appears in the upper right of the window, to manually trigger an update. And if you want to know storage, get the free wiztree (Windows only). kinda rushed, maybe if this convo continues I'll add more. best wishes.

[update] OK, I see the irony of saying it's only $20 after saying that I've spent hundreds. But my main point is, I don't see how anyone could stay in business if they're in a small market and have to bid against their own used products with free updates. If our choice is free updates, or buy new versions and pay for transfers ,I'd rather have free updates. Ask me again if they change free updates though.

Edited by tansetter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tansetter said:

Well, I've spent hundreds on Cherry Audio stuff, and here's my thinking - we get free updates, from Voltage Modular 1 to Voltage Modular 2. And their stuff is cheap - we're not talking $800 Ableton Live here. . . we're talking $40, $20 on sale, or $1 if you're buying through Humble Bundle right now.  These aren't manors or titles that we're handing to our descendants. I don't have any recollection of updates being intrusive - there's an icon that appears in the upper right of the window, to manually trigger an update. And if you want to know storage, get the free wiztree (Windows only). kinda rushed, maybe if this convo continues I'll add more. best wishes.

[update] OK, I see the irony of saying it's only $20 after saying that I've spent hundreds. But my main point is, I don't see how anyone could stay in business if they're in a small market and have to bid against their own used products with free updates. If our choice is free updates, or buy new versions and pay for transfers ,I'd rather have free updates. Ask me again if they change free updates though.

It fights against the KVR plugins brokers who try to peddle once free for money.