Spitfire Abbey Road Orchestra Low Percussion

cclarry

8 minutes ago, fpoir said:

I like this forum, and I'll be sorry if my next sentence sets my ejection in motion, but: Spitfire's treatment of Christian Henson leaves me unlikely ever to buy from them again.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, in this world nowadays is very hard to defend or support someone, even if it's your own brother.

And I bet behind the curtains they support him 100%, but they have to keep a facade in front of people.

That's the internet life!

4 hours ago, fpoir said:

I like this forum, and I'll be sorry if my next sentence sets my ejection in motion, but: Spitfire's treatment of Christian Henson leaves me unlikely ever to buy from them again.

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for sharing. Yeah with how poorly Spitfire treated Christian Henson with this, I'm for sure doing a chargeback on my card and looking at different sample companies altogether.

• Like 1

Unless you're familiar with the issues that the trans community has to deal with this may seem like an overreaction on Spitfire's part but it isn't.
Members of the transgen community have to deal with a lot of hate, ignorance and prejudice on top trying to deal with a difficult issue.

Spitfire could have (and some people argue should have) outright fired Christian, instead he's 'taking a break'.
It's unfortunate that Christian has put Spitfire in this no-win situation with his tweet.
I don't blame Spitfire for this.

I hope to see Christian back in the scene again at some point in the near future, hopefully he'll spend some effort in the meantime to do some unbiased research to dig behind the fearmongering that various people are actively promoting. 

• Like 4

I totally agree with @TheSteven

Please, these are serious issues, let's not trivialise them by discussing them in terms of wether we buy drum library or not !

Additionally I believe it belittles and disrespects the debate to attempt simplify it into UNINFORMED soundbites......and then express a complex and nuanced debate in a tweet.... or even a deals forum (in my opinion!)

Pitchfork politics !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Unless you're familiar with the issues that the trans community has to deal with this may seem like an overreaction on Spitfire's part but it isn't.
Members of the transgen community have to deal with a lot of hate, ignorance and prejudice on top trying to deal with a difficult issue.

Spitfire could have (and some people argue should have) outright fired Christian, instead he's 'taking a break'.
It's unfortunate that Christian has put Spitfire in this no-win situation with his tweet.
I don't blame Spitfire for this.

I hope to see Christian back in the scene again at some point in the near future, hopefully he'll spend some effort in the meantime to do some unbiased research to dig behind the fearmongering that various people are actively promoting. 

Great post.

On the organizational side, having had many years as a director and having led PR and marketing at companies and even been part of drafting HR social media policy that covered situations like this,  when an employee -- and especially, an executive --  takes a public stand stigmatizing/ discriminating against a certain group, your organization is forced to take a stand and make clear that it doesn't support bigotry because that impacts the company's reputation, the perception of its fairness in hiring practices and how it treats employees, how it selects and treats vendors/partners and the company's relationship with customers. Any high profile company would either terminate the executive or put them on leave temporarily. As Christian, I believe, owns probably half of Spitfire,  he probably decided to temporarily take a break on his own in order to minimize the harm to the company he co founded. I would expect that most crisis management consultants would likely advise he separate from the company. 

That said,  to the person's earlier posts of people who sides with Christian's expressed anti-trans views, while I oppose all forms of bigotry,  I support the concept of voting with your dollars. So if you oppose the values of a company, I think you should spend accordingly. But it should be noted -- because there's been a lot of incorrect assumptions and speculation that this was about Christian being "cancelled" due to holding conservative views, when, in fact. Christian is actually a liberal that has strongly opposed the past US' president. Consequently, this whole matter is exclusively over Christian holding some very strong prejudices against trans people and not attributable to Christian's political views. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Do anti trans low drums sounds different? And if so, are we allowed to say that?

No, joking aside, I'm (perhaps dangerously) of a different opinion then it seems to be held here. But it's just an opinion, don't shoot me.

The one thing I can agree with is "vote with your dollars". Don't like his views? And you want to take action? Don't buy. But don't judge people who do buy. I'm not that involved in the trans issues. I acknowledge that there are issues. But for me personally, I could go 365 days a year without ever encountering them (if I ignored (social) media).

So where do we draw the line? Do we stop buying from companies who have employees who have prejudices? Or is the line at CEO's? Founders? And does this count for 'pleasure' as well as essentials? Do you stop using your shower if the CEO of the water company turned out to have strong opinions about, let's say gay marriage? 

Christian can keep his views and can keep them to himself or not. I'm not friends with the guy. For me personally it is of no consequence whether or not I buy from Spitfire. My Albion One still gets the same use (barely any 😅).

• Like 1