Hearth and Hollow

Reid Rosefelt

@simeon included this in a recent livestream, but I don't think anybody listed it here.

Limited Intro price at. £79, $79, €79  (Not sure what full price will be)   Works in Free Kontakt Player

There is also a free version available.

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/stories/hearth-hollow-plucked-folk-ensemble/

Hearth & Hollow is an ensemble of seven unique acoustic instruments that blend perfectly through Hunter’s craftsmanship. Rather than acting as a composer’s tool, the library inspires composition- a woodblock to craft, rather than an axe to chop. 

With various articulations that include individual plucks and bespoke grooves played by Hunter, the compositional possibilities and stories you can tell with this library are endless. 

Now available in the free Kontakt player, the product is available via Pianobook Artists for a limited time introductory offer of £79, $79, €79.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, simon said:

I saw this and it's sounds great

I'm still annoyed about the pianobook project now charging for some libraries so I'm going to pass.

I think Dan Keen has done a real good job of explaining why it was inevitable 

There are some free libraries in Pianobook that can rival and surpass many paid ones, and many libraries  that have quirks that makes them highly unlikely to succeed commercially , but are unique and provide something that no paid library I've heard of can provide, which are probably my favorites 

The cost of the servers alone must be significant (with free amazing libraries like hunter's The Wildmother's Dulcimer being 4+ Gb or a whooping 14+ Gb of Woodland Piano by ockpii)

From the get go it just couldn't have been sustainable without any money flowing in , though it would have been nice if it could have worked with donations like Blender or Krita  

• Like 1

What some people may not see with Pianobook is how it benefits Spitfire commercially in the long run. Previously companies would start as small developers on their own websites, growing from there then turning into a potential competitor in the long run. Now most new developers are starting on Pianobook and when they reach escape velocity, Spitfire is bringing them into their own ecosystem to make a "Spitfire"/Pianobook branded product (which of course is great for the developer I'm sure).

However, this effectively cuts off the majority of new entrants to the sample library market as once they get to the point where they could start to grow further, Spitfire takes them onboard to monetize them under the Spitfire brand.

Not saying its wrong or that it doesn't benefit the developers, its just an interesting point that some people seem to not see. Of course you can't expect a large company to just fund a huge platform with large hosting costs without getting something in return, but Pianobook has many long term benefits for Spitfire aren't immediately apparent. 

• Like 1

I very respectfully disagree with Dan  - he's just spinning the 'official' line.

He, like many others at pianobook, work for Spitfire Audio - who sell excellent although overpriced and VERY poorly supported libraries. 

(where are the fixes for all the issues in AR2 ? after a year ! - same with lots of other SA libraries, check out Vi-Control forum)

I've spent £1,000s of pounds at SA - I think they can afford to give something back to the community, hence pianobook.

Spitfire have an 'Artists' series - why not market them there - why not let people just link to their own commercial products on their own website.

hence I'm not buying from Pianobook :)

EDIT - one other thing - lots of people have built up the pianobook 'brand' for free.  Spent lots of time developing libraries.  In many ways those people 'own' the brand......now they are a few people to profit from that 'brand' - are they going to share the profits between EVERYONE who contributes to pianobook and built the brand  ? nope of course not.

Edited by simon

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Yet somehow Spitfire manages to keep the LABS project free, with lots of unique quality instruments. I believe that most of those are derived from indy samplists.

Wrapped up in Spitfire's own proprietary player though.

I don't have any of their upper-end libraries so I can't say if they offer any advantages over Kontakt (other than being in-house). I was trying out some of their LABS instruments for a project but found the interface didn't quite click with me.

23 minutes ago, antler said:

I can't say if they offer any advantages over Kontakt

I think their own player has improved and the GUI on the Kontakt instruments is appalling (IMO)

Obviously you get many more options to tweak with Kontakt under the hood.

28 minutes ago, antler said:

I don't have any of their upper-end libraries so I can't say if they offer any advantages over Kontakt (other than being in-house). 

There are several sample library developers that have moved away from Kontakt. One of the reasons is that Kontakt became so successful, and it became a de facto industry standard. Once you achieve that level of success, and have so many 3rd party developers dependent on that platform, the pace of new features has to slow to a crawl to avoid creating incompatibilities for existing Kontakt catalog titles.

So a quick, possibly incomplete shortlist of developers creating their own players so that they can add any features any time they wish is Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Soundpaint, Mntra...

Of course that is sure to frustrate users that are heavy users of Kontakt, but some devs assume that it unlocks them from a slow moving monopoly and they think they can do better.

32 minutes ago, abacab said:

So a quick, possibly incomplete shortlist of developers creating their own players so that they can add any features any time they wish is Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Soundpaint, Mntra...

FrozenPlain too.

The only problem is, creating a sampler is hard. People are free to use whichever platform they choose to - even their own if they have the resources to create one. It's potentially misleading to say adding new features is quicker though: yes, the feature can be added; but then you have the additional time taken to maintain the player and ensure compatibility.

The purposes of Pianobook seemed rather apparent from the early days. I made a post about it here long before they started monetizing it. There are many benefits to Spitfire having Pianobook.  But that doesn't make it bad for sample library users or for up and coming samplists. Where I think they need to tweak things is with the pricing.  These samplists are up and coming and often their libraries aren't as sophisticated as experienced developers using good/great studios, expert engineers and talented experts handling KONTAKT scripting. My experience and instincts (without looking at research and data) is that these libraries are best priced in the range of Spitfire's Original series,  more in the range of $29-49 USD, instead of the current pricing, which is closer to the range of what one would pay if purchasing from an experienced developer.  

This likely won't get a warm hug from a number of folks (because the subscription model for plugins in this market can often get a strong negative response; but I think for sample libraries, it's a different story) ,  but I think Henson should also explore a subscription model. Imagine, something a low monthly fee that gets users access to one premium library per month (it couuld be more modest than the newly introduced libraries). In any event, my experience and instincts tell me that they will need to adjust pricing for the current model to succeed no matter how many influencers they get to promote the libraries. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

This likely won't get a warm hug from a number of folks (because the subscription model for plugins in this market can often get a strong negative response; but I think for sample libraries, it's a different story) ,  but I think Henson should also explore a subscription model.

I think what turns most people off subscriptions is that when someone stop playing, they stop being able to use what they had 'paid for' - the work that they created using those plugins become tied to the subscription and they partially lose access to that too*. If we're talking subscribing for credits, that becomes different - as you mentioned - because someone will keep access to the libraries that they exchanged the tokens for. Much like physical magazine subscriptions, nobody comes round to take away all previous issues when a subscription expires.

* That's not exactly the case: someone could bounce their tracks down, and they still have access to their project files; it's a pain to remix because of missing plugins though

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:36 AM, simon said:

I very respectfully disagree with Dan  - he's just spinning the 'official' line.

All it made me think was..... so that's what Harry Potter is up to these days.

Harry Potter and the Philosophy of the Hearthy Hollows .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, antler said:

I think what turns most people off subscriptions is that when someone stop playing, they stop being able to use what they had 'paid for'

yes - I agree.  I personally hate software subscriptions.

some kind of subscription where you get to use the products even when the subscription ends would be a good idea.....and without the subscription you don't get 'support' or updates.

the thing is - that sounds exactly like Waves' WUP  and many don't seem to like that model either !

47 minutes ago, simon said:

some kind of subscription where you get to use the products even when the subscription ends would be a good idea.....and without the subscription you don't get 'support' or updates.

the thing is - that sounds exactly like Waves' WUP  and many don't seem to like that model either !

Two that spring to mind are HitFilm (video editing), and JetBrains ReSharper (software development plugin). I can't think of any others who follow this model at the moment.

If I understand correctly (and there's a chance I don't - I don't use Waves plugins), there's also a subtle difference with WUP: the renewal isn't a fixed price flat fee - it's dependent on how many plugins you have/want to renew.

I downloaded the free version of this library (which they refer to as a demo) -- or rather series of libraries -- this morning and I love it.This developer did a great job. I would strongly recommend that every who owns KONTAKT who is considering this library download the demo and give it a try (the paid version works with the FREE KONTAKT Player;  the free version requires the FULL VERSION of KONTAKT).

While Hearth & Hollow isn't comparable to the ultra-detailed  guitar sample libraries from Orange Tree Samples or Ample Sounds, I think it would be a great tool in the ideation phase, perhaps later replaced with more detailed libraries or supplemented with more detailed libraries -- or not, depending on your preferences and vision for the production. Either way, I think this is package is well done and even found the freebie version inspiring to use. Kudos to the developer. Here's a direct link to the download page: 

https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/hearth-hollow-plucked-folk-ensemble/?__s=xxxxxxx