Great price on Kontakt 6 full version

Billy86

Please do not let my posts about a weird glitch I have, with how I load up instruments, take anything away from how absolutely awesome Kontakt is.  I absolutely LOVE Kontakt, and despite having East West Play (and the Composer Cloud Plus libraries), along with SampleTank , Kontakt is by far, the most used instrument plugin in my Sonar/Cakewalk projects, and has been, for many years.

I hope you have an absolutely fantastic time of getting to know Kontakt - don't forget to take a look for all the completely free libraries that are out there for Kontakt - you can really bolster your choices for instruments with these.

Congrats on picking up Kontakt :)

Bob Bone

Yep lots of low priced and free libraries out there fer sure. I tend to use Kontakt in a more simplistic way. I seldom build multi's in Kontakt. I don't run a lot of tracks. I just load a bunch of separate instances up. Drain on cpu isn't that bad. You can save it as a mix scene and it will be the same next time you open it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starise said:

Drain on cpu isn't that bad.

After messing with multi-outs last night, this was the one take away that stood out.

The issue I saw last night was two instruments, Alicia's Keys and a Cello Ensemble (first two stereo outs). Suddenly the A note would trip off on a D triad after about a second. CPU at 4% but the meter below that blinked red once (at 0%). I forget the name of that meter, but repeatable, and only cut out the A note from AK. Saved the project in that state and closed it. No clue what I did, but was enough to think "Maybe single-instrument instances aren't a bad thing..."

21 hours ago, mettelus said:

After messing with multi-outs last night, this was the one take away that stood out.

The issue I saw last night was two instruments, Alicia's Keys and a Cello Ensemble (first two stereo outs). Suddenly the A note would trip off on a D triad after about a second. CPU at 4% but the meter below that blinked red once (at 0%). I forget the name of that meter, but repeatable, and only cut out the A note from AK. Saved the project in that state and closed it. No clue what I did, but was enough to think "Maybe single-instrument instances aren't a bad thing..."

Sometimes, the default Key-Switch notes set up for some instruments happen to be high enough on the low-end of the keyboard, where I accidentally hit one of them when I play octave notes with my left hand, and I will find the articulation has suddenly changed.

Since I never want accidental key switch notes hit - I will alter those key switch note numbers, to go 1 or 2 octaves lower, and then save the instrument with my name added to the front of the instrument's name (example, Cellos would become Bob's Cellos).

Take a look at your Key Switches.

Kontakt also automatically increments the midi channel with every loaded instrument, so 1st will be assigned to respond to notes on midi channel 1, 2nd load instrument would get midi channel 2, etc... 

Then, on a given instrument's midi track, you would set the track's output midi channel to the appropriate one for the desired instrument.  This way, the different instruments loaded will each play only when their midi channel gets data from its associated midi track.

When a midi track is brought into focus, it automatically turns on the Input Echo for that track, and midi data will be transmitted for the midi channel set for that midi track's output midi channel (right under the FX bin).  Additional sounds can be either recorded or simply heard (like a layered sound), by turning on additional midi Input Echo On buttons of additional midi tracks.

Hope any of this helps - loading multiple instruments into a single Kontakt instance is VERY powerful and useful.

Bob Bone

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bob. A huge chunk of this is my ignorance of Kontakt. I opened that project last night only long enough to know the blip is on the disk meter. Is zero, blips after a second, then zero again after dropping the A4 note. Since the chord is already being played, I am not sure why, but will be interesting to troubleshoot. I was tooling around on the setting screens for AK a little before that happened so could easily have tweaked something improperly. I am also not sure how buffer-sensitive Kontakt is (been running at 128 samples so far).

1 minute ago, mettelus said:

Thanks Bob. A huge chunk of this is my ignorance of Kontakt. I opened that project last night only long enough to know the blip is on the disk meter. Is zero, blips after a second, then zero again after dropping the A4 note. Since the chord is already being played, I am not sure why, but will be interesting to troubleshoot. I was tooling around on the setting screens for AK a little before that happened so could easily have tweaked something improperly. I am also not sure how buffer-sensitive Kontakt is (been running at 128 samples so far).

Hi - that is your ASIO Buffer Size, at 128 samples.  I mean the Prepare Using buffer - Preferences > Midi > Playback and Recording - there is a buffer adjustment you can make there.  The default is 250, but many folks find it better when set to either 500 or even 750.

If set too low, sometimes notes can be skipped - meaning they won't sound.

Bob Bone

On 6/13/2019 at 11:00 AM, Starise said:

Yep lots of low priced and free libraries out there fer sure. I tend to use Kontakt in a more simplistic way. I seldom build multi's in Kontakt. I don't run a lot of tracks. I just load a bunch of separate instances up. Drain on cpu isn't that bad. You can save it as a mix scene and it will be the same next time you open it.

Just to be clear - anytime I load up multiple instruments in a single Kontakt instance, they are left to be separate instruments, on different midi channels - and not layered into a composite for a single multi sound.  And, everything gets properly reloaded when I load up the project again, without having to save anything beyond simply saving the project.  

Yeah - I probably have literally more than 50 free Kontakt libraries, and some number of purchased 3rd-party ones, as well.  I LOVE Kontakt, and the many libraries available for it.

Bob Bone

On 6/11/2019 at 12:22 PM, Tiger The Frog said:

Hi Bob,   @Robert Bone

I'll do my best.  🤔

Forgive me if you already know this, but first you have to set up a default template in Kontakt, so that it opens up every time with the amount of outputs you want.  In Kontakt 6 you do this by clicking the + sign next to where it says "Outputs" which brings up this dialogue.   

759532268_KontaktOutputs.jpg.828dee4807b5f08c9eca9ebe93b5b772.jpg

There are many YouTube videos that show how to set  up multiple outputs in Kontakt 5.  It's the same for Kontakt 6  except for the + sign. 

My default Kontakt template has 16 outputs, mapped from 1/2 to 31/32.   Once I open that, I add as many instruments as I want.  When I'm done, I use the batch dialogue to assign each to a separate channel in Cubase, or I do it manually. 

597570563_KontaktOutputsbatch.jpg.837e8bcb85e8c716d7e0afe20794ff86.jpg

At this point I can see that sound is going into the various output channels, but in Cubase I still don't hear any sound from anything but the first two R&L channels.  I have to activate the outputs I need in Cubase for that particular instance of Kontakt. I might not need all 16.  I don't know how this works in Cakewalk.  As I do that, those tracks turn up in my mixer.

Cubase Activate Outputs.jpg

It gets even more complicated when you start routing this stuff into VE Pro and back. 😭 While initial setup is time-consuming, eventually I have templates for various kinds of music that I launch when needed. 

I hope this is helpful, Bob.  If you already know it, maybe it will help somebody else.  

Reid

Hi Bob and Reid. I’m the OP following your exchange here because I’m new to Kontakt and want to be able to do exactly the stuff you’re talking about. This forum has always been so great and generous with information. At first glance, getting the most out of Kontakt can seem overwhelming. Following conversations like this help tremendously. Thanks. Billy. 

On 6/14/2019 at 12:07 PM, Robert Bone said:

Hi - that is your ASIO Buffer Size, at 128 samples.  I mean the Prepare Using buffer - Preferences > Midi > Playback and Recording - there is a buffer adjustment you can make there.  The default is 250, but many folks find it better when set to either 500 or even 750.

If set too low, sometimes notes can be skipped - meaning they won't sound.

Bob Bone

I was experiencing drop-outs as well. And did exactly as Bob references here. Cakewalk guru Craig Anderton said even as high as 2500. That’s what I went with and haven’t had a problem since. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Esteban Villanova said:

Embertone Arcane (a free library) qualifies for the crossgrade. Just bought it yesterday for $125, great deal! There's lots of free libraries, take a look at the freebies section of Vstbuzz.com

Thanks - I only qualified for a KOMPLETE 12 SELECT upgrade ($49) and even though it's a good price I didn't feel like I was gaining anything that I didn't have covered with other products. Grabbed Embertone Arcane and now qualify for the full KONTAKT 6 for $125. 😀

3 hours ago, Tezza said:

What is special with Kontakt 6, it uses the same factory library as Kontakt 5 doesn't it?

There's some new effects, a wavetable module, and an updated editor/debugger for script developers:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6/whats-new/

Sooner or later instrument developers will use these, and newer instruments won't work in Kontakt 5. But in reality, I suspect that's a long way off.

• Like 1