Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ed D

Baby Please Don't Go - cover

Recommended Posts

Baby Please Don't Go - cover.  Just having some fun jamming with some of my family members.

Obviously we are not professional musicians. :) 

Audio was mixed entirely in Sonar. Unfortunately my mixing skills are not the greatest.

Sounds not too overly bad in headphones, I think, but maybe not as good on my monitors.

Any tips on how the audio mix could be improved would be much appreciated. 

Baby Please Don't Go - cover (Youtube)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I notice my audio mix sounds quite muddy and flat sounding compared to many other people's 

audio mixes here.  😣  If anyone can give me any basic tips on how I can make my very muddy sounding audio mix 

sound more clear it would be much appreciated!  I know my audio mix probably has lots of problems, 

but are there a few specific key simple things that I could do to the audio mix that would help to make the mix sound more clear? 

Am I not using enough selective frequency EQ cutting on instruments? Is that why my mix sounds so muddy? 

Ed
 

Edited by edd987

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ed,

This is one of my favourite bluesy type songs.  You must have had fun doing this.  I certainly am not one to give advice on mixing , but for what it is worth, here are a couple of things that I noticed.  What seemed muddy to me was primarily the bass.  I couldn't quite determine where it was panned.  On my "primitive" equipment it some times sounded as if it were panned left then right.  Perhaps if the bass were centered a bit more and if it were given a little more EQ this might help define it better.  Also the drums might be EQ'ed a bit and brought forward more.  Were you using a MIDI pad for the drums?  The vocals and overall performance were good!

Anyway, it sounds good and you have made a good start on this song !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ,  Loved it !  I thought the mix and playing was great.  I also think  Gale  "nailed" the head moves.  Very cool family.    mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, freddy j said:

Hi Ed,

This is one of my favourite bluesy type songs.  You must have had fun doing this.  I certainly am not one to give advice on mixing , but for what it is worth, here are a couple of things that I noticed.  What seemed muddy to me was primarily the bass.  I couldn't quite determine where it was panned.  On my "primitive" equipment it some times sounded as if it were panned left then right.  Perhaps if the bass were centered a bit more and if it were given a little more EQ this might help define it better.  Also the drums might be EQ'ed a bit and brought forward more.  Were you using a MIDI pad for the drums?  The vocals and overall performance were good!

Anyway, it sounds good and you have made a good start on this song! 

Hi Freddy j. Thanks very much for the feedback on the mix!  What you are saying about the bass makes sense to me 

and I think you have identified one of the key problems areas in the mix very well.  The drums were played on a Yamaha 

digital drum kit, but recorded to one single stereo audio track, as my brother was not set up to record the drums 

in multiple tracks to a multitrack DAW. What you say about adjusting the drums in the mix makes sense to me as well. Thanks again for 

those excellent mixing tips!

 

4 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Hey ,  Loved it !  I thought the mix and playing was great.  I also think  Gale  "nailed" the head moves.  Very cool family.    mark

Hi Mark. Thanks very much for listening and for the kind comments! The feedback is much appreciated.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job on covering this classic - I thought the lead vocal could use a bit more separation in the mix - not sure what to do - try a bit of a EQ adjustment there.

Thanks for posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Good job on covering this classic - I thought the lead vocal could use a bit more separation in the mix - not sure what to do - try a bit of a EQ adjustment there.

Thanks for posting.

 

Thanks for the the feedback on the mix! I didn't have a proper mic stand so I was sitting 

a ways away from the mic. I think that gave a roomy kind of unclear sound to the vocals. 

Next time I will try to have the mic closer to my face. :) 

 

13 hours ago, amiller said:

Cool cover...cool vid.😊

Thanks very much for listening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was surprised how far away you were from the mic but seemed to work out okay anyway. I suppose the mix could be improved but there's a lot of software out there to help out if you don't feel up to it (like me 😃 ).
I was trying to picture my family involved in a music video - never gonna happen. Really nice job on the video as well as the song!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, bjornpdx said:

Yeah, I was surprised how far away you were from the mic but seemed to work out okay anyway. I suppose the mix could be improved but there's a lot of software out there to help out if you don't feel up to it (like me 😃 ).
I was trying to picture my family involved in a music video - never gonna happen. Really nice job on the video as well as the song!

Thanks for the feedback!  😊 

What software do you use? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Nice job on this Classic Blues cover and really cool video!👍

Great instrumental performances, everybody did an excellent job on their parts.  The outstanding vocals and tasty guitar playing put the icing on the cake!

It looks like you all had a good time putting together the video, too!  I really liked the quad split-screen effect, very talented family, my friend!

Really good stuff, looking forward to hearing more!😀

Have a good one!
Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 1:42 AM, Bob Oister said:

Hi,

Nice job on this Classic Blues cover and really cool video!👍

Great instrumental performances, everybody did an excellent job on their parts.  The outstanding vocals and tasty guitar playing put the icing on the cake!

It looks like you all had a good time putting together the video, too!  I really liked the quad split-screen effect, very talented family, my friend!

Really good stuff, looking forward to hearing more!😀

Have a good one!
Bob

 

Thanks very much  for listening! 

 

14 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi edd987,

Nice cover + great video.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

 

Thanks very much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do sound like you had fun, and the playing all sound accomplished.

Mix wise, for  what these furry ears are worth, the vocal needs a little more top end and a bass cut, roll off at about 150 hZ and perhaps a little bright reverb.  The Bass needs to be brought back a tad, with perhaps a narrow cut of 2 or 3 db around the 80 hZ mark to let the kick be a little more prominent  If you have any reverb on the Bass take it off reverb is not bass friendly.

All in all you did a pretty good job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Wookiee said:

You do sound like you had fun, and the playing all sound accomplished.

Mix wise, for  what these furry ears are worth, the vocal needs a little more top end and a bass cut, roll off at about 150 hZ and perhaps a little bright reverb.  The Bass needs to be brought back a tad, with perhaps a narrow cut of 2 or 3 db around the 80 hZ mark to let the kick be a little more prominent  If you have any reverb on the Bass take it off reverb is not bass friendly.

All in all you did a pretty good job.

Thanks very much for the feedback on the mix!  Those are very good tips. Much appreciated.  🙂

Edited by edd987

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big fun here! It doesn't sound all that bad, really.

Here's some idearrrrs:

1) volume automate the guitar down 1db when the vocal comes in. Bring it back up when it  there is no vocal. Or are you doing that already?

2) Think about half a db lower for the bass guitar

3. Give Henry Fonda on the drums a little caffeine so he can play some fills? I dunno, it might kill him, so nevermind.

 

Truly a watchable effort, I liked the video presentation, and kudos for that perfectly stanky rhythm guitar swagger.  Spot on in the groove department.

 

cheers,

-Tom

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Big fun here! It doesn't sound all that bad, really.

Here's some idearrrrs:

1) volume automate the guitar down 1db when the vocal comes in. Bring it back up when it  there is no vocal. Or are you doing that already?

2) Think about half a db lower for the bass guitar

3. Give Henry Fonda on the drums a little caffeine so he can play some fills? I dunno, it might kill him, so nevermind.

Truly a watchable effort, I liked the video presentation, and kudos for that perfectly stanky rhythm guitar swagger.  Spot on in the groove department.

cheers,

-Tom

 

Thanks for the feedback Tom! Yes, adjusting the guitar level down during the vocals would likely have helped bring the vocals 

out more. Really though, I should have been closer to the mic when recording the vocals and that should have made the vocals more clear. 

My brother on the drums was just wearing the hat as a joke, and he actually hadn't played those digital drums much at all before this recording,

so he just was learning how to play those digital drums a few weeks before he recorded that track. I think he did quite well on the drums considering 

he was just learning how to play them for a few weeks. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done. And its done! Its in the can. Don't obsess, move on.
Evidently Chas Chandler liked to remind Hendrix that Mickie Most produced House of the Rising Sun for 10 bob.
How long would Jimi sit in front of Pro Tools if he were still alive?
How long do I (or vous) sit in front of CbB, obsessing over half dB cuts or boosts?

Just my nickel98's worth...

T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Well done. And its done! Its in the can. Don't obsess, move on.
Evidently Chas Chandler liked to remind Hendrix that Mickie Most produced House of the Rising Sun for 10 bob.
How long would Jimi sit in front of Pro Tools if he were still alive?
How long do I (or vous) sit in front of CbB, obsessing over half dB cuts or boosts? 

Just my nickel98's worth...

T

Thanks for listening and for the feendback!  Yes, Got a lot of good feedback on the mix which I took 

note of. I will try to utilize those tips in any future recordings. 

Edited by Ed D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great fun and the video is fab. The mix is a bit muddy as you mention. As a very quick fix, you could just try throwing an eq on the master out - each instrument level sounds about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×