mark skinner

"Iris" cover

I've always wanted to do this song , but could never get the drums right with the 4/4  6/4 and tempo changes. I found a drum track , took a lot of reverb out of it then started my 3hr/day for 34 days getting this done. I've heard it so many times I really think I could use some feedback on mix or master.  weapons-  TTS synth /Aria acoustics , GL asat electric , Ibanez bass , homemade lap steel (slide lead part) , Fender mandolin , unbranded cello.  Thanx for any feedback ..  mark  https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/siri

• Like 1

Mark.... brilliant.

We all paint very different pictures...
The snare to me sounds a little trapped... a little more room??
Loved the vocal and the timing and tightness on the instruments. 

A nice stereo spread on the acoustic guitars and mandolin.
Strings could come up a little and the lead guitar is hidden.

Just my opinion.

Well done mate.

• Like 1

great recording.

when ya have trouble with drums--------------ya don't have to sequence the drums.i was a drummer and never sequence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it takes to much time,also ya can pick individual endless drums from endless kits available.

set tempo and 4/4 for measures and ya can play in any time signature.

go hear i play in so many time signatures i amaze meself!

you'll have to listen for awhile to find me odd time signatures.

1.track 1 record just the kick.quantize

2.track 2 record snare as ya listen to track 1.quantize

3.track 3 record cymbal as ya listen to 1 and 2..quantize

Mark, love the mandolin Timing seemed okay to me, but the snare needs to be toned down a bit imo.
Beautiful song. Well worth the time you put into it.

• Like 1

@garybrun , thanks for the feedback , that's "exactly" what I'm looking for and Always value your opinion.  I'm on it.   @bjornpdx , Thanks also.. The drum track is a stereo downloaded mp3. with everything baked in. I used "Reafir" to remove a lot of reverb then blended the dry with the wet track. I managed to isolate the snare (somewhat) and added some reverb to it per Garys suggestion . Now that I've got it ,  I'll try toning it down some. Seems like the snare is a problem. I'd really prefer one that has more "crack".  I may can EQ it out some and use a SI drums snare ?? @jack c.  Where were you when I needed you ..                   Thanks ... mark

• Like 1

Not over analysing this as the furry brain is not in the mood for deep analysis.

So I just listened with my none producer furry ears on and you should know @mark skinner they smiled. 

• Like 2

Nice - you did a good job on this cover - I always liked this one - a great song.

That must have been a tough drum track to program - sounds right to me.

I agree with the strings needing to come up a bit more in the mix - I thought they could use some more verb as well.

• Like 1

I agree a bit of reverb on the strings and volume up a tiny fraction - oh and lead guitar up a bit - apart from that great cover

Nigel

• Like 1

Mark, I've always liked this song, but I now like it even more.  You are faithful to the original, but you manage to make this your own song.  That's what I look for in a cover song.  Now I want to hear the original version again, so you made me a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls.

• Like 2

Hello , the link now reflects a remix per everyone's suggestions. I think it is a lot better. I can always do further work if it's needed. "Thank You" to everyone for listening and commenting. I'll probably do a couple more covers before getting back to writing.    Thanks ..  mark

• Like 1

I'm on laptop but it sounds  very good here.  The performances have band vibe which many ITB tunes lack. Enjoyed the production as well - great job

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 9:48 AM, garybrun said:

snare to me sounds a little trapped

That's the only thing that stood out to me, like its not in the same room as everything else.

On 12/26/2020 at 6:45 AM, mark skinner said:

found a drum track , took a lot of reverb out of it

?

On 12/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, mark skinner said:

track is a stereo downloaded mp3. with everything baked

That explains it.

Love that slide, well everything really.

If I mixed this I'd pull the vocal up a tad, maybe the slide a bit too?

Might be worth droping the drum mp3 into Superior and see if it pulls out a decent midi file; just a thought...

t

did I say I loved the track? 👍

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1