Cakewalk Sonar Backstage Pass BETA Updated to 2024.4

cclarry

Run Sonar to update

New in build 30.04.0.450

• Various UI/Theming improvements
  • Improved font rendering for lower DPI displays
  • Custom Display Scale Slider (Experimental)
  • The Display tab of the Preferences now features a slider to adjust the display scaling of the app independently from the global Windows display setting. Note that this feature is still in early development and there may be issues when applying a custom app value.
  • Updated mouse cursors
  • Fixed: Dragging EDS enabled plugin between different scaled displays can get stuck
  • Fixed: Asserts when hitting play with External Insert
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: VocalSync UI is broken at high DPI
  • Fixed: Regression: Lane names cannot be resized
  • Fixed: LCV zoom controls are inconsistent with the TV and PRV
  • Fixed: When lasso selecting, always show the lasso cursor ("+")
  • Fixed: Inspector advanced MIDI strip Patch Browser/Bank dropdown buttons disappear on mouse over
  • Fixed: Do not take toolbar width into account when sizing plugin windows
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: TV surround bus header high DPI layout issues
  • Fixed: Loading workspace with Medium/Small Screenset Module causes it to fail to draw
  • Fixed: Misc. Preferences font size issues with custom display scale
  • Fixed: Misc DPI related plugin issues
  • Fixed: Drawing notes in the Staff view uses the Copy cursor
  • Fixed: Numerous "HUDNow" windows in the Task Switcher (Alt+Tab)
  • Fixed: Some mouse cursors look blurry on high DPI displays (eg. 1440p)
  • Fixed: Unacceptable PRV performance with user project
  • Fixed: Keyboard Shortcuts in Preferences loads very slowly
  • Fixed: Input Echo not retained after undo of delete track for Simple Instrument Track
  • Fixed: Instrument Tracks do not retain Input Echo state when loaded from Track Templates
  • Fixed: Archived MIDI track disables freeze on Instrument track unexpectedly
  • Fixed: Moving comp split point in multi-tempo project alters next segment's start time
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: Broken VST3 plugin sizing when dragging left/top window edges
  • Fixed: Dragging velocity tails in PRV creates additional notes when muted clips are involved
  • Fixed: Step Sequencer loads blank after loading pattern preset
  • Fixed: Pressing Play with Now Time after Project End Marker disables Audio Engine
  • Fixed: Control Bar Snap module should not show triplet/dotted buttons at medium size
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: Crash when opening Step Sequencer with Custom Display Scale > 100%
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: Long button text is displayed incorrectly in Control Bar Custom module on 96 DPI display
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: ProChannel EQ flyout layout issues with Custom Display Scaling <> 100%
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: Add Track flyout layout issues with Custom Display Scaling <> 100%
  • Fixed: REGRESSION: Incorrect Console View track title text formatting on 96 DPI display
Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

• cclarry changed the title to Cakewalk Sonar Updated to 2024.4
1 minute ago, jesse g said:

Thanks Larry.

I've been using Studio Once 6.6 so much now, I forgot CbB was still pushing out updates.   LOL  🤣

They are not.  Updates are for the to be released Sonar which is different than CbB.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CSistine said:

Ah, you mean the submission subscription Sonar (currently)!

That isn't literal is it? Has BandLab released details on the pricing for Sonar? I don't see anything at the Cakewalk site that has pricing. 

28 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

That isn't literal is it? Has BandLab released details on the pricing for Sonar? I don't see anything at the Cakewalk site that has pricing. 

Sort of literal, you can get early access to Sonar by having some tier subscription of Bandlab.  I didn't dig too much into it as I'm waiting for an actual release, but I do recall the sub price was not something I'd be willing to spend.  

• Like 1

so I went to Bandlab's site and found the pricing for the "membership" subscription, which would include the backstage pass access to the upcoming Sonar release. I didn't necessarily see anything groundbreaking that Sonar will offer that Cbb doesn't already, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, the membership price for Bandlab is $150 a year. Probably about what other subscription services are offering, but it was way more than I expected--having been spoiled by Cbb being free for all these years now.

Don't know if I will subscribe, but I am curious to whether the Sonar "upgrade", as it is being called by Bandlab, is truly a worthwhile upgrade--and no longer free, too. I have invested so many years in Cakewalk, starting in the mid- 1990's and am so entrenched that I cannot still wrap my head around Studio One, which I purchased when I thought Cakewalk was going away forever. I almost wish I could migrate successfully to another DAW, but when Cakewalk came around I found it the only DAW I had tried up to that time which I truly "got" and could master, more or less. Produced so many albums for myself and others with it--I hate change--as I am in my 70's now, it gets harder and harder. Oh well. I'm just venting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

And I have 2024.02, says it's the latest version....hmmm, what gives here? 29.0.98 is the version...Wonder why it won't/can't allow me to update it?

Sonar is a separate installer from Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Different programs on the computer, if you don't have Sonar then there is nothing to update.

As for is it worth it, that will depend on the price and the features at time of release - which we don't know yet.  I imagine $150 a year isn't the price point most users will buy into would be my expectation.  No use in speculating about what it will actually be yet.  I'm sure they have enough people pointing out that Reaper is  $60, and at this point the majority of us do no need plugins (effects and VSTis) as any sort of "value add" that are never going to get used after we all stocked up on things during the pandemic and have far more than we need.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

didn't necessarily see anything groundbreaking that Sonar will offer that Cbb doesn't already

The "real difference" is, at some point, 6 days, six weeks, six months (who knows?) CbB will no longer work.
As to a subscription to Backstage Pass, there is much more to it than access to Sonar. Whether or not this represents
"value"?, YMMV...
Most are waiting for the final word on pricing. I've opted for the monthly subscription, until "purchase" is available.

As to "groundbreaking", the GUI has changed, evidently the vector graphics reduce the "load" and are more efficient.
Some like it, to me it seemed "flat" at first (think Sonar 8.5). It has NOT interrupted my workflow, and I'm "used" to it now.
All I'm really interested in, does it work like CbB (Yes), and allow me to move forward without a "huge" learning curve (Yes).

I too tried S1 (hey, some love it and find it an improved workflow; for them). I guess I could "learn" to use it (why?).
My "plan B" was to transition to Reaper when/if SPlat  became unworkable. Fortunately BandLab bailed us out.
And without a doubt CbB is a much more robust platform now than SPlat, and why wouldn't it be; its been a natural evolution.

That's it in a "nutshell".
Should we still be sitting on the "edge of our seats"? some nine (what is the count now?) months later?
Well unless we all want to be IBTL, probably best to discuss that in private...

t

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

The "real difference" is, at some point, 6 days, six weeks, six months (who knows?) CbB will no longer work.............

This is Windows, not Apple, Sonar 8.5 still runs today....I wouldn't expect CbB to die in the very near term unless they built in some self termination bug into the code.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

41 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

wouldn't expect CbB to die in the very near term

Have you missed that many have complained that the re-activation interval of CbB has become shorter?
And yes Sonar 8.5 and SPlat are running fine, but neither has an integrated re-activation required.

t

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Have you missed that many have complained that the re-activation interval of CbB has become shorter?
And yes Sonar 8.5 and SPlat are running fine, but neither has an integrated re-activation required.

t

Yes, I've been one of those people.  :)  

Some try to interpret posts that Bandlab will simply disable CbB access/auth servers but there are certainly other posts that really suggest that CbB remains "free" but will continue to phone home giving them data on usage numbers.   I do think those re-activation things are really annoying - but also am not tying that to any short term plans to cut off all users at the knee.  

I miss the old no-auth methods of old - was one of the reasons I bought into Sonar back in the day in the first place.   Off-Line installs and the combo of serial number and registration code got you up and running whenever needed and you could have the computer off-line for security reasons as long as was needed.  

I'm hoping the pushed this one time shorter re-activation to see how many active users they are for a picture of what the user based is - and that it is large enough for them to offer a very low price and still generate enough revenue to make it work.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

Yes, I've been one of those people.  :)  

Some try to interpret posts that Bandlab will simply disable CbB access/auth servers but there are certainly other posts that really suggest that CbB remains "free" but will continue to phone home giving them data on usage numbers.   I do think those re-activation things are really annoying - but also am not tying that to any short term plans to cut off all users at the knee.  

I miss the old no-auth methods of old - was one of the reasons I bought into Sonar back in the day in the first place.   Off-Line installs and the combo of serial number and registration code got you up and running whenever needed and you could have the computer off-line for security reasons as long as was needed.  

Few developers do that anymore.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Sonar is a separate installer from Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Different programs on the computer, if you don't have Sonar then there is nothing to update.

As for is it worth it, that will depend on the price and the features at time of release - which we don't know yet.  I imagine $150 a year isn't the price point most users will buy into would be my expectation.  No use in speculating about what it will actually be yet.  I'm sure they have enough people pointing out that Reaper is  $60, and at this point the majority of us do no need plugins (effects and VSTis) as any sort of "value add" that are never going to get used after we all stocked up on things during the pandemic and have far more than we need.

Actually it appears that Larry quoted a Cbb version number, not Sonar--I have had Sonar for years,but changed over to CbB when they took over. Still confused--Larry, are you referring to "old" Sonar or CbB and why the heck don't I have the opportunity to get the latest revision? 

4 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

Actually it appears that Larry quoted a Cbb version number, not Sonar--I have had Sonar for years,but changed over to CbB when they took over. Still confused--Larry, are you referring to "old" Sonar or CbB and why the heck don't I have the opportunity to get the latest revision? 

I'm referring to the NEW  Beta version currently available in Backstage Pass

• cclarry changed the title to Cakewalk Sonar Backstage Pass BETA Updated to 2024.4
1 hour ago, Heath Row said:

Remember Noel said that it was NOT a Beta I believe.

Last I saw he was calling it "feature complete."

From Wankipedia:

"A feature-complete (FC) version of a piece of software has all of its planned or primary features implemented but is not yet final due to bugs, performance or stability issues. This occurs at the end of alpha testing in development.."

• Like 1