Native Access Updated to 3.10.3

cclarry

Yep, it's 3.10.3 here.  I decided to try to update some products for the first time in months and it's been hours and hours with NA and my Task Manager Open to try to see what is happening.  (yes, I've been working on other things while it runs).  Some have been updated, but Komplete Kontrol has been a mess to try to update.  I now cannot get it to get past the "Loading Products" prompt when I log in.  However, sometimes when I start it, it goes straight to my products without any issue.  Why the different responses?  I have no idea.

I could have downloaded and installed all these products in 1/10th the time if I had access to the downloads.  The biggest issue is that you have no idea what's going on when it's running.  There are no messages.  It could be hung-up indefinitely or it might actually just be taking this long to install one item.  There's no way to know.   So, do I wait for the "Loading Products" prompt to finish or should I end the task and retry it?  I don't know.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you one of the biggest players in the software game.  Smdh.

• Like 3

3.10.3 doesn't work correctly on my system.  I needed to revert back to 3.10.2 which works as expected.  The only thing is that NA insists on updating every time I close out NA.  Luckily, I can cancel that update each time.   I might try again with the next NA update. 

• cclarry changed the title to Native Access Updated to 3.10.3
4 hours ago, SmokeyJ628 said:

NTKDaemon takes over 30%+ of my CPU when it runs and it runs for probably at least 5-10 minutes when it gets started.  WHAT IS IT DOING?!?

It may be an "installer helper." Even Softube now installs a service for this purpose. I mean, c'mon, a service? And then leave it running?

I've stopped NTKDaemon and switched its start up to Manual. No ill effects, NI just starts it up when it needs it.

At least it looks as if they no longer install those multiple services that go with their controllers. Every update, I used to have to go into Services and disable those damn things.

• Thanks 1

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/29009/the-sheer-joy-of-3-10-2#latest

Best summary of Asshat by the OP.

Eventually this is gonna have to cost them.  Enshitification. They go the **** part right.

I do have my work arounds to get it to work.   NTKDeemon does not uninstall correctly.  I use the old Windows Cleanup Uninstaller.  Watching it go through zillions of registry entries.   Imagine if you had to do that manually.   Add/Remove and Revo doesn't work for this.

Have they no shame? The v3.10.3 installation was just as broken as the previous ones. Twiddler stuck in a forever loop. Close NA. Restart NA. Install Kontakt v7.10.0 update after the 17 updates from yesterday using v3.10.2. Since there was only one program to update, the Update window actually managed to keep up. But, why oh why do I still get the message that they're sending usage data back to their servers when I've disabled that "feature". NI, this isn't hard.

Way back in the day (the 1980s), when I did both hardware and software development for use in the oil and gas industry, I couldn't afford such simple mistakes. The only saving grace was that if I blew something up, the explosion also blew up the cause of the explosion.

OK, I admit that one time I did blow something up. My product group in Amoco Oil (now BP) had just be authorized to sell outside of the company. The city of DeKalb, IL was installing two new huge elevated water tanks and several new wells. They wanted to switch to off-peak pumping to save significant money on their electricity usage. I was tasked with writing the PC app to control the 10 well pumps while monitoring the levels in the 4 water towers, including the 2 brand new big boys.

I coded the app based on the specs written by the city's engineering consultants, the ones who designed the potable water distribution system. After the 14 RTUs (Remote Telemetry Units) were installed on the 10 pumps and 4 tanks and the MTU (Master Telemetry Unit) plus the PC were installed, I showed up with the app I'd written, installed it on the PC and sat with it for a couple of hours (along with the city and engineering bosses) after its 10pm startup (the beginning of the off-peak period). Everything ran great. We shook hands and I drove back to Chicago and went to bed. I was awakened at 3am by a phone call telling me to get back to DeKalb. Apparently, the system had over-pressurized and an old clay pipe from the 1920s had ruptured, blowing a hole big enough that three of the four lanes of the main highway through town were gone. Good lord, but they were angry with me.

After a thorough review, the design engineers finally took responsibility, agreeing that my code perfectly conformed to their specs, which they agreed were way too agressive and that they didn't really understand what the hydraulics of the system were after the addition to the 2 new huge towers and 4 new wells.

But the explosion revealed a shovel from the 1920s that the director of public works mounted on the wall behind his desk, and they found a "pig" (a large rubber ball that you would insert into the system and run it through to remove buildup in the main water pipes (we used pigs in oil pipelines, too)) that had gone missing decades before.

And my reputation was not only intact, but enhanced, so all good for me.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It may be an "installer helper." Even Softube now installs a service for this purpose. I mean, c'mon, a service? And then leave it running?

I've stopped NTKDaemon and switched its start up to Manual. No ill effects, NI just starts it up when it needs it.

At least it looks as if they no longer install those multiple services that go with their controllers. Every update, I used to have to go into Services and disable those damn things.

This is exactly the reason why I hate Install Managers (NA...)! 😆

Furthermore this is why I like full Kontakt libraries! With them I skip to use NA. I rarely use NA and that's fine, avoids a lot of trouble! Most of the updates are anyway of no avail to me, they just consume time and sometimes only introduce new problems! 😉

6 hours ago, CSistine said:

This is exactly the reason why I hate Install Managers (NA...)! 😆

Furthermore this is why I like full Kontakt libraries! With them I skip to use NA. I rarely use NA and that's fine, avoids a lot of trouble! Most of the updates are anyway of no avail to me, they just consume time and sometimes only introduce new problems! 😉

Someone gets it. That's why I buy the imperfect 8dio stuff.  Player libraries are fine if you cant download direct instead of having multiple failed 80gb installs and get a warning from your ISP.

Unfortunately they are creating more enemies than friends.  There are on the race down to zero Waves model. 

Just for the info, the installer DID tell you that it will require a system restart to fully install
so if you tried to run Native Access after having installed it, and did not restart, then you
were most likely to encounter problems.  I know because I did that, and it didn't work right,
then I restarted and everything was fine.

32 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Just for the info, the installer DID tell you that it will require a system restart to fully install
so if you tried to run Native Access after having installed it, and did not restart, then you
were most likely to encounter problems.  I know because I did that, and it didn't work right,
then I restarted and everything was fine.

I restarted and it’s a mess since yesterday after updating and rebooting . Pretty much unusable for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1