India - New Mix- New Master-

mark skinner

Hello , years ago .. I watched a documentary about giant river fish in India. They highlighted the creamation of a local woman on the banks of the Ganges river. This had a profound effect on me .. and knowing why it was included in the giant fish show, it had even more impact. This is only about a moment in time and her passing.

This song was started in Sonar 8.5 and just now brought to completion in CbB. All comments,crits and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for the listen ..  mark   - Final mix -   Special "thanks" to Gary Brun for the excellent mastering .. 

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14761020 

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 7

I really liked this one - the great acoustic tones and the interplay with it and the electric are stunning.  Catchy beat that keeps things moving, interesting lyrics.  If I had to pick one thing to comment about it would be the amount of emotion put into the vocals.  Don't get me wrong, it is really nice.  I don't know if I can explain this, but I will try - while listening I thought of Paul Simon singing this - he has the ability to maintain the sadness of a song without showing it in his singing - I hope you know what I mean.  He somehow reigns in his emotions with his tone, and by doing so he somehow makes the song all that much more emotional.  Maybe American Tune is an example of that.

• Thanks 1

What a great song! Really love the words and as always your guitar playing is perfect.  The overall vibe that you set with the quality of the mix is makes it for me and really showcases the way the percussion and the guitars work together to create a nice blend of east and west.  As has been said, fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark

another excellent song

i have been to India a few times & its a vibrant country & you capture the emotion perfectly 

the rhythm gives it a solid drive without it being over powering  & the intricate guitar

weaving through just adds so much flavour to this song , its your 2nd song with this Indian vibe 

when are we going to hear something latin cuban etc I am sure excel at that style too

Top Stuff

subvibe

• Like 2

Sorry I'm so late on responding ..  @garybrun , @daryl1968 , @KSband , different indeed I feel the same.. @Old Joad , @Kevin Walsh , Yes the blend of East and West is as close as I can come. I really wish I could get a bettter grasp on Indian and Arabic music. @subvibe , I take that as a Nice compliment as you have been there and know the vibe better than someone just watching a video. I've always been envious of you world travels. Maybe I should do some research on the Cuban vibe ?? 

8 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

I don't know if I can explain this

You did a Great job of explaining !  and I get it. There are a few phrases in the song that sound a little too emotional. I totally agree. I will take your comment to heart in future songs.  To be honest ..  I think it was just my "weak voice" singing at 5am that was misconstrued as emotion. Working long hours and totally burned out afterwards, I got into the habit of doing daw work early in the mornings before work. Retired for 10 years , but still on the same schedule.      I really need to do vocals later in the day.   

"Thanks" to all of of you that have listened and responded to this pretty much "out of the norm" and strange song ..

mark

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Sorry I'm so late on responding ..  @garybrun , @daryl1968 , @KSband , different indeed I feel the same.. @Old Joad , @Kevin Walsh , Yes the blend of East and West is as close as I can come. I really wish I could get a bettter grasp on Indian and Arabic music. @subvibe , I take that as a Nice compliment as you have been there and know the vibe better than someone just watching a video. I've always been envious of you world travels. Maybe I should do some research on the Cuban vibe ?? 

You did a Great job of explaining !  and I get it. There are a few phrases in the song that sound a little too emotional. I totally agree. I will take your comment to heart in future songs.  To be honest ..  I think it was just my "weak voice" singing at 5am that was misconstrued as emotion. Working long hours and totally burned out afterwards, I got into the habit of doing daw work early in the mornings before work. Retired for 10 years , but still on the same schedule.      I really need to do vocals later in the day.   

"Thanks" to all of of you that have listened and responded to this pretty much "out of the norm" and strange song ..

mark

Hi @mark skinner

the fusion between Indian & western music is always very interesting 

the pulsing almost hypnotic beats & a different scales make is something special

many years ago there was a hit by monsoon & it still feels fresh today every so lonely

i have a lot of respect for you trying different styles & your musicianship is second to none

Keep up the Great work

subvibe  

• Like 2

• mark skinner changed the title to India (remastered)
19 hours ago, mark skinner said:

It's always tough to give feedback of that sort - the song is obviously good and you don't want to be a downer to somebody who works so hard.  Your response is exactly the intended response (about future songs) - I do the same thing - it's good to get the suggestions that you can take forward with you, especially if like me you are working in sort of a vacuum now all alone in the studio!

And if I tried to sing in the morning, I'd end up sounding like a pissed off turkey squawking at cars going by - in order to get anywhere close to being able to hit any notes, I need to be up for a few hours at least!

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 7:57 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

What a great song! Really love the words and as always your guitar playing is perfect.  The overall vibe that you set with the quality of the mix is makes it for me and really showcases the way the percussion and the guitars work together to create a nice blend of east and west.  As has been said, fantastic!

Hi Mark

Kevin said everything I was going to say!!

Excellent

Nigel

• Thanks 1

• mark skinner changed the title to India - New Mix- New Master-
2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

@Bajan Blue , @Wookiee Thank's for the listen and comments. means a lot. @Lynn Wilson Thanks Lynn . You keep that up and I'll have to buy a bigger hat !  😁

Final mix in the link.  I'm calling my end of it done.  Any comments or suggestions about the master belong to Gary Brun.

Thank You ..   mark

It great song Mark.
You should be proud of this one mate.
Loved being involved in the project.
Cant wait for the next one!!

• Like 1